The Accies 2014/2015 Thread

Mo' money for da Accies!

Why don't Accies do something useful wi all that cash like buy up Sevco and shut them down?

Failing that, we have an even better keeper than McGloves called Bowman. He's yours for £600k

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that he's moved on to a big club, in the top flight, he may even become Northern Ireland's number 1.

He's still got 2 seasons worth of proving he's good enough before he can even think about overtaking Alan Mannus.

Yes, I think a lot of it with keepers is they need to be in the right place at the right time to get their opportunity. McGovern came through with Celtic where he was extremely unlikely to get first team opportunities. He then bounced about a couple of loan spells before establishing himself as a very good keeper at First Division level with both Ross County and Falkirk.

I certainly don't think "100 top flight appearances" is itself proof of anything much (it's about three seasons worth), nor the fact that he once produced a wonder save and got a Player of the Month trophy. I mean really? Is that what you're claiming as evidence of great career achievements? He's fundamentally won nothing in this country, exactly the same as McGovern has. Whether either has or hasn't though doesn't prove much anyway.

I don't disagree again with the sentiments of your last paragraph either. He's not a world beater and I never suggested he was. I think he's better than Kello though and contrary to your initial point I've no reason to be blinkered about it. You on the other hand are backing your own club's player. When St Mirren needed a keeper Kello was available and known to them and reliable enough. McGovern wasn't available. Had he been available at the same cost and Lennon had plumped for Kello then you'd have some decent evidence but he wasn't.

What you wanting from achievements then? Are you saying that because he hasn't won anything he isn't one of the best in the league? I'm sure John Sutton and Billy Mackay are crying into their soup at this news.

I'm not saying McGovern is not a decent goalkeeper, I'm sure he is, and I'm sure he's a good signing for Accies. To suggest he is one of the best in the country though is pretty laughable, there is absolutely nothing to back that up and quite a lot to suggest he's not - not least that he's never played in the top flight at the age of 29.

I'm not just backing Kello either, I'd much rather have Mannus, Brill, Gallacher, Bell and Forster in my team than McGovern. There's your top 6 of keepers in the country IMO, I'm sure the Accies keeper will slot nicely into the group behind them next season.

What you wanting from achievements then? Are you saying that because he hasn't won anything he isn't one of the best in the league? I'm sure John Sutton and Billy Mackay are crying into their soup at this news.

I'm not saying McGovern is not a decent goalkeeper, I'm sure he is, and I'm sure he's a good signing for Accies. To suggest he is one of the best in the country though is pretty laughable, there is absolutely nothing to back that up and quite a lot to suggest he's not - not least that he's never played in the top flight at the age of 29.

I'm not just backing Kello either, I'd much rather have Mannus, Brill, Gallacher, Bell and Forster in my team than McGovern. There's your top 6 of keepers in the country IMO, I'm sure the Accies keeper will slot nicely into the group behind them next season.

I don't want anything from achievements. You brought achievement into the discussion, claiming that McGovern hasn't achieved anywhere near as much as Kello. Which I then queried as frankly Kello's not achieved a whole lot in reality. I am quite happy to agree that it's not directly meaningful. I've no idea why you raised the issue in the first place.

Neither did I suggest he was one of the best in the country. You made that up. That's a major leap from what I said which was that he has been comfortably the best in the Championship and would be an excellent signing for Accies. I also suggested that in my opinion he's better than Kello. I haven't seen remotely enough of Brill to make any judgement of him. The other four you mention I'd certainly have ahead of McGovern. He's a good keeper and actually we're not disagreeing whatsoever on where he stands in general as regards quality of keeper. What we're disagreeing on apparently is where Kello stands. Personally I think you over-rate him but clearly you've seen a lot more of him than me.

I don't want anything from achievements. You brought achievement into the discussion, claiming that McGovern hasn't achieved anywhere near as much as Kello. Which I then queried as frankly Kello's not achieved a whole lot in reality. I am quite happy to agree that it's not directly meaningful. I've no idea why you raised the issue in the first place.

Neither did I suggest he was one of the best in the country. You made that up. That's a major leap from what I said which was that he has been comfortably the best in the Championship and would be an excellent signing for Accies. I also suggested that in my opinion he's better than Kello. I haven't seen remotely enough of Brill to make any judgement of him. The other four you mention I'd certainly have ahead of McGovern. He's a good keeper and actually we're not disagreeing whatsoever on where he stands in general as regards quality of keeper. What we're disagreeing on apparently is where Kello stands. Personally I think you over-rate him but clearly you've seen a lot more of him than me.

Well again, I've misunderstood you. I had no idea this was about Kello.

Fans of most other teams in the league think he's one of the best keepers in the Premiership. Hearts fans rate him very highly aswell, and they've seen more of him than either me or you. Don't know why you rate him so lowly actually, you think he's a worse keeper than Gallacher? No chance, and I seen a lot of Gallacher.

Well again, I've misunderstood you. I had no idea this was about Kello.

Fans of most other teams in the league think he's one of the best keepers in the Premiership. Hearts fans rate him very highly aswell, and they've seen more of him than either me or you. Don't know why you rate him so lowly actually, you think he's a worse keeper than Gallacher? No chance, and I seen a lot of Gallacher.

Fair enough. You are much better placed than me to judge their relative merits. Thats where I started by conceding I maybe hadnt seen enough of Kello but as I said I've never been that impressed with him. And he compounded that by completely selling our first equaliser at Palmerston in the Scottish Cup. Horrible error.

And its not "about Kello". Its about you dismissing my opinion of McGovern as "blinkered" when there is absolutely no basis for that conclusion. You just made a sweeping groundless and indeed "blinkered" assumption.

While that could happen ,I'd imagine it's more to the fact that his agent has said he's had plenty if offers from down south .

The last time I checked Hamilton was south of Dundee.

Wigan are after Declan. There is no chance, absolutely no chance he will head to Hamilton. It'll be either someone like the DABs, Rangers or a team down south.

Archived