Manchester United 14/15 thread

Pretty sure the amount of money they spent this Summer is the highest ever by an English club in a single window, so no, they haven't spent "less money so far" in relative terms.

Man Utd have probably spent less this window than Chelsea spent purely on sacking managers in between Mourinho's reigns at the club if your going to speak in relative terms.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man Utd have probably spent less this window than Chelsea spent purely on sacking managers in between Mourinho's reigns at the club if your going to speak in relative terms.

Chelsea have probably spent less sacking managers, than man utd have on the interest servicing their massive debts.

Well sacking Ranieri, Mourinho, Grant, Scolari, Hiddink, Ancelotti, AVB and Di Matteo only came to around £50m

Well sacking Ranieri, Mourinho, Grant, Scolari, Hiddink, Ancelotti, AVB and Di Matteo only came to around £50m

Im pretty sure i read the figure on here was like 96 million at one point but i could be wrong, still a ridiculous amount to spend on simply sacking managers.

Right, and they will all be available when? And of course, they will all be available, settle in straight away to whatever formation Van Gaal is trying to achieve, gel with their team mates and be just super.

Who has said they will be "miles off" the top 4?

They need to oust one of the existing top 4 to achieve it and the two weakest candidates, Arsenal and Liverpool have both significantly strengthened this summer also, and had a better base to begin with.

Man U will get it right eventually - they've spent enough money to ensure that. But I would make them 5th favourites to be top 4 this season.

So the players United have signed will takes ages to gel with the team but the 10? players Liverpool have signed will fit right in? This is a Liverpool side without Suarez and with Champions League to contend with.

Just out of interest, as Arsenal have significantly strengthened their side, who have they added? Chambers, Debuchy and Sanchez but they have lost Sagna. They only have 2 centre backs with Koscielny being injured and Nacho Monreal seems to be considered a starter...

You are certainly a lot more confident than any Arsenal fans I know...

Im pretty sure i read the figure on here was like 96 million at one point but i could be wrong, still a ridiculous amount to spend on simply sacking managers.

Thats still less than what United spent this Summer anyway

So the players United have signed will takes ages to gel with the team but the 10? players Liverpool have signed will fit right in? This is a Liverpool side without Suarez and with Champions League to contend with.

The Liverpool side that comfortably and comprehensively destroyed Tottenham at White Hart Lane had 4 new players from last season, 2 of whom are proven Premier League players, in Balotelli and Lovren. Their other new signings will be integrated as and when. They have absolutely no need to play the likes of Lallana, Markovic, Can, Lambert etc. until such point as they choose to.

Man U on the other hand have been shambolic this season already, and are faced with the prospect of having to throw all of their new signings in in a desperate attempt to halt the slide. Di Maria contributed nothing at Burnley - how long is it going to take him to get up to speed? Even if it's 3 or 4 weeks for all of them, that could be the difference at the end of the season.

Arsenal have added Chambers as cover at the back, upgraded from Sagna to Debuchy, and have Sanchez and Welbeck, plus the return of Theo Walcott in a few weeks. Yes, they are still the weakest of the top 4, but I would happily bet anyone at Even money that they will finish ahead of Man Utd this season.

Arsenal have added Chambers as cover at the back, upgraded from Sagna to Debuchy, and have Sanchez and Welbeck, plus the return of Theo Walcott in a few weeks. Yes, they are still the weakest of the top 4, but I would happily bet anyone at Even money that they will finish ahead of Man Utd this season.

You say that as if having Welbeck is actually a good thing for Arsenal, when in fact they've spunked £16 million on a player who'll be sitting on the bench for Sunderland in a few years. Sanchez is a good signing, but strikers are the one area where Arsenal are weaker than Man Utd.

You say that as if having Welbeck is actually a good thing for Arsenal,

It is.

And yes, Arsenal are weaker in the "striker" position than Man Utd. However, they are much stronger in both midfield and defence, until such point that Man U can show they have a clue how to integrate a group of players who on paper look decent into anything approaching a coherent entity.

This isn't Football Manager.

Di Maria contributed nothing at Burnley - how long is it going to take him to get up to speed? Even if it's 3 or 4 weeks for all of them, that could be the difference at the end of the season.

Yeah, you are right man.

Everything's fine with Man U. Despite having taken 2 points from Burnley, Swansea and Sunderland.. it's all good now!

H_B in goalpost shifting shocker! :1eye

Thats still less than what United spent this Summer anyway

It is but its spent on sacking managers which is absolutely absurd.

We all know the money in the EPL is outrageous, Man utd did turn into a great club under SAF but the game has moved on so much and you can't maintain a massive club status without spending big and money is the most important part of football nowadays. People can either enjoy it for what it is or pursue another interest!

I seem to remember last season everyone from the TV pundits to internet bampots saying United needed a whole new team, they needed to spend £200m, they needed to bring in 'world class' players. From what I can see the have pretty much done that and they are being criticised? seems a bit harsh to me.

Also while acknowledging they've had a bad start I think you have to qualify it with injuries they have, at least 9 for every game, that added to the fact that LVG was still working with squad and the club were trying to move players on and bring others in it was all pretty understandable to me.

The squad now looks extremely strong but uneven that said they only have the EPL until January and there is going to be a lot of good players sitting in the stands if everyone is fit. The Falcao could be the one to make the difference if RVP needs an operation and given that Rooney looks to be back in pub player mode.

They really need to get their house in order quickly LVG needs to work out his systems and the players he wants for those systems with a view to moving the rest on in January and to have any chance of top four this season they will need to win four or five games in a row, looking convincing whilst doing it ideally blowing one or two of the teams away to restore some of that fear factor as that is what helps the big clubs win when they aren't playing well.

It's a big ask and if I had to predict I'd have them in fifth come the end of the season mainly because of the catching up they have to do with their team and system and the fact that Arsenal always seem to find a way into fourth. I'd be amazed if Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City weren't the top three.

Archived