Welsh support for scottish independence.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who?

I was looking to find out the same thing.

I'm not aware of any prominent non UK politicians who have come out in support of a Scottish Yes vote.

Looking forward to seeing the list.

who?

Gerry Collins former Irish Foreign Minister.

Sean O Neachtain two term RoI MEP

Niall Collins RoI Shadow Minister for Justice

Olaffur Grimasson President of Iceland

Sigmundur Davids Prime Minister of Iceland

Rassmuss Peterson Danish spokesperson Foreign Affairs

Noam Cholmsky (not a politician) possibly the worlds leading author on global politics

Gerry Collins former Irish Foreign Minister.

Sean O Neachtain two term RoI MEP

Niall Collins RoI Shadow Minister for Justice

Olaffur Grimasson President of Iceland

Sigmundur Davids Prime Minister of Iceland

Rassmuss Peterson Danish spokesperson Foreign Affairs

Noam Cholmsky (not a politician) possibly the worlds leading author on global politics

A real Who's He of world politics, Chomsky excepted who as you point out isn't a politician.

What did Chomsky say incidentally?

I don't think the Prime Minister of Iceland actually did "come out in favour of independence". When asked about the consequences of a potential Yes vote he said that he would be "very happy to see increased co-operation happen". This was reported in the national press including, among other places, The Herald.

Also, I'm pretty sure Rassmuss Peterson didn't come out in support of Scottish independence either. He made a statement to the effect that, in the event of a Yes vote, Scottish EU membership should be a mere formality. Again, this was reported in Scotland's newspapers, including the Herald and Scotsman.

The Chomsky thing was reported in the Giuardian and the Scotsman

the President of Iceland was reported on the beeb.

Really must have been at work that hour or so that the Beeb reported. Was it Cholmsky front page with the Guardian and the Scotsman? Or did you just google it to see if it had been reported as you werent actually aware of it?

Really must have been at work that hour or so that the Beeb reported. Was it Cholmsky front page with the Guardian and the Scotsman? Or did you just google it to see if it had been reported as you werent actually aware of it?

The BBC did report it. He made the remarks in a Newsnight interview!

Here we go. a recent poll asking the uk its opinion. Look how many taffs it asked and they then said that is representative of welsh opinion. They wouldn't know what the welsh people think. Polls are incredibly selective in who they ask to ensure the outcome they are looking for. Take the 2011 census as an example. A year befor yougov done a poll on welsh identity that showed only 30% of welsh people see themselves as welsh NOT british. The censis the same year asked the same question and 2 million welsh people 70% described themselves as welsh NOT british. That shows how insignificant polls can be. Its all down to how the question is worded and the areas you ask these questions. Anyway heres that poll that they used to say the taffs are against scottish independence.

post-41489-0-36592900-1403709427_thumb.j

I was aware of Chomsky,but not the President of Iceland, granted i couldn't name the President of Iceland but that's neither here nor there.

Goalsposts are beuing shifted here though - neither issue went unreported.

Here we go. a recent poll asking the uk its opinion. Look how many taffs it asked and they then said that is representative of welsh opinion. They wouldn't know what the welsh people think. Polls are incredibly selective in who they ask to ensure the outcome they are looking for. Take the 2011 census as an example. A year befor yougov done a poll on welsh identity that showed only 30% of welsh people see themselves as welsh NOT british. The censis the same year asked the same question and 2 million welsh people 70% described themselves as welsh NOT british. That shows how insignificant polls can be. Its all down to how the question is worded and the areas you ask these questions. Anyway heres that poll that they used to say the taffs are against scottish independence.

post-41489-0-68794900-1403709507_thumb.j

I was aware of Chomsky,but not the President of Iceland, granted i couldn't name the President of Iceland but that's neither here nor there.

Goalsposts are beuing shifted here though - neither issue went unreported.

So, apart from the news reports of these people saying this, what was reported?

Surprise surprise. H_B asks for a list, gets a list, then does his "dog with a bone act", ably assisted by Ad Lib on his trusty steed and Banterman.

It really is incredibly tiresome.

There was a list in which a bunch of insignificant politicians were named, some of which not in government, most of which did not actually come out in support of independence, and all of those who did who were extensively reported on by our supposedly biased and silencing national broadcaster, the UK press and the Scottish press!

Surprise surprise. H_B asks for a list, gets a list, then does his "dog with a bone act", ably assisted by Ad Lib on his trusty steed and Banterman.

It really is incredibly tiresome.

Well,no Burma said external supporters of indy had gone unreported, then produced a list which had people whose views were in fact reported.

In the interest of balance though, I will accept that i am not aware of the mainstream media reporting the views of a two term MEP or a shadow justice minitser.

I'd suggest these people, fine oublic servants they doubtless are, are quite in the same bracket of newsworthiness as the President of the United States.

Archived