Humiliated Tearful Brazil v Dutch Bottle Merchants

Scary Bear

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At one point the commentator asked "Would it have been different if Neymar was playing?". Given that Holland never got out of 2nd gear in a game they almost literally couldn't have cared less about, and still beat Brazil with embarrassing ease, I'm going to say....no, it probably wouldn't.

When did Brazil last lose two World Cup finals matches in a row?

1974. Netherlands and Poland beating them 2-0 and 1-0 respectively. Hungary and Portugal both beat them 3-1 in consecutive group games in 1966.

1998's the only other time they've lost two games at the World Cup.

Anyway, that was embarrassingly easy for Netherlands tonight. That really was a spineless Brazilian performance.

I think we could give this Brazil team some trouble.

We played them at the Emirates in 2011 and barely threatened them. Showed them far too much deference. That was under Levein though, the most defeatist manager Scotland has ever had. Judging by his after match interviews he seemed to think it was an excellent performance to only get beaten 2-0. Hopefully the myth of Brazil has been exposed, they've been poor for years. No reason why any competent international team shouldn't give them a game at the moment.

The only time I've seem Brazil in the flesh was when we played them in the Rous Cup in the late 80s at Hampden. It was a shite transitional team they had out, but you knew they were a work in progress - still beat us no bother though.

This team ostensibly were the finished article however; they've had years to prepare for this World Cup, and that was the best 11 they could offer. Neymar aside, there's not another standout in their squad, and they only got as far as they did thanks to some helpful refereeing in the early stages and Colombia getting stagefright in the quarters. I don't see the current team getting much better - this tournament has probably ended the international careers of a few of them anyway.

Can see a few lean years for Brazil ahead - after the last two performances Colombia will probably be the last team for a while who get overwhelmed by the thought of playing them.

Are Holland the first country to use all 23 players at a world cup?

They're the first to use all 23 since that became the maximum squad size in 2002.

France (78), Greece and Russia (1994) all used every player in the respective tournaments, but the squad size was 22 players back then

I'd hardly call bringing a player on for an almost insulting 2 minutes token gesture appearance deep into injury time in the last game that had already been over for a long time as using him. Well, not in the sense it's meant here.

Let's no rewrite history. Brazil were decent until the semis and deserved to be there, albeit they showed vulnerabilities in getting there.

Croatia could have taken something off them, Mexico definitely could have. They beat Cameroon fair and square but struggled against Chile. They beat Columbia fairly comfortably and were humiliated in the semifinal (as well as the 3rd/4th place)

Brazil profited from other teams misfiring rather than them being any good themselves.

Croatia could have taken something off them, Mexico definitely could have. They beat Cameroon fair and square but struggled against Chile. They beat Columbia fairly comfortably and were humiliated in the semifinal (as well as the 3rd/4th place)

Brazil profited from other teams misfiring rather than them being any good themselves.

For all the tears about the refereeing in the Croatia game, Brazil were the better team in the 2nd half. You say Mexico could have taken something off of Brazil but they didn't. Don't Brazil deserve a bit of credit for that?

They struggled against Chile but were definitely in the game throughout. They played good enough to take it to penalties then were better at taking them.

They've had a bit of luck but luck doesn't carry a team to the semi final, losing no games in the process. They scored 11 goals getting there. I'm not saying they were great but they were a decent team until the semis. To say it was down to other teams that Brazil got to the semi final is total bullshit. It's blinkered, hysterical nonsense.

I wonder what, in hindsight, Scolari would rather have happened - lose the penalty shootout to Chile thus saving the 7-1 humiliation, or taking the semi-final hammering.

Obviously losing in the last 16 would have been seen as a disgrace, but I think looking back he would far rather that than have the 7-1 game follow him to his grave.

For all the tears about the refereeing in the Croatia game, Brazil were the better team in the 2nd half. You say Mexico could have taken something off of Brazil but they didn't. Don't Brazil deserve a bit of credit for that?

They struggled against Chile but were definitely in the game throughout. They played good enough to take it to penalties then were better at taking them.

They've had a bit of luck but luck doesn't carry a team to the semi final, losing no games in the process. They scored 11 goals getting there. I'm not saying they were great but they were a decent team until the semis. To say it was down to other teams that Brazil got to the semi final is total bullshit. It's blinkered, hysterical nonsense.

Deary me, no need to get so wound up! Brazil have been poor, and they have played poor sides along the way, that sums it up.

I wonder what, in hindsight, Scolari would rather have happened - lose the penalty shootout to Chile thus saving the 7-1 humiliation, or taking the semi-final hammering.

Obviously losing in the last 16 would have been seen as a disgrace, but I think looking back he would far rather that than have the 7-1 game follow him to his grave.

Penalties, without a shadow of a doubt. The 7-1 loss will likely be the worst ever result in the history of Brazilian football until the end of time, at least he could have blamed luck if they'd went out on penalties, and I imagine the seethe would be notably lower than it currently is

Deary me, no need to get so wound up! Brazil have been poor, and they have played poor sides along the way, that sums it up.

Ha, I'm wound up apparenty! Classic deflection and empty rhetoric. Total textbook stuff. Are you following a manual here?

Anyway, I can't agree they've played poor sides, Cameroon aside. Croatia were decent as were Mexico. Chile were impressive and some were tipping Colombia to win it.

Are all the teams shit? Are there actually any good ones?

You can't play poorly in all your games and get to the semi final of the world cup.

Ha, I'm wound up apparenty! Classic deflection and empty rhetoric. Total textbook stuff. Are you following a manual here?

Anyway, I can't agree they've played poor sides, Cameroon aside. Croatia were decent as were Mexico. Chile were impressive and some were tipping Colombia to win it.

Are all the teams shit? Are there actually any good ones?

You can't play poorly in all your games and get to the semi final of the world cup.

What? You accused me of blinkered, hysterical nonsense yet all I was doing was stating a fairly valid opinion. I will leave it at that.

It's probably more to do with you constantly seeming on the verge of a violent outburst than anything you just said.

Archived