Radio 2 - Top 100 Greatest Guitar Riffs

Tommy Nooka

Radio 2 are doing a poll to find the greatest guitar riffs of all time and they have compiled a shortlist of 100 which were chosen by their DJ's -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3CPpg0bvRvy4kVLtv49MyD6/radio-2-top-100-greatest-guitar-riffs-vote

Whilst there are some classic riffs amongst their list I'm disgusted that shite like Franz Ferdinand and EMF are considered more worthy than classics like Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Smashing Pumpkins or NEIL YOUNG.

To consider Daft Punk in the greatest riff ever vote is ridiculous and they even have tracks by The Black Keys, Pearl Jam, Radiohead and Cream that aren't even their own greatest riffs.

What do you think of the choices and what would be your favourites whether they be on the list or not?

I'd add Creedence Clearwater Revival - Up Around The Bend, Pearl Jam - State of Love and Trust, Smashing Pumpkins - Girl Named Sandoz and Neil Young - Cinnamon Girl.

I went for the Manics - Motorcycle Emptiness.

Oh, and The Black Keys one is pretty damn good, but I prefer "Everlasting Love".

Lonely Boy is a catchy tune but there's much better riffage on The Big Come Up(Leavin' Trunk, Heavy Soul), Rubber Factory (10 a.m. automatic, Girls is on my mind) or Magic Potion (Your Touch), seems like record sales have influenced these choices.

I'm sure there are plenty of other bands with better riffs in their catalogue than the one chosen by the Beebs panel(QOTSA for sure).

It's pretty hard to pick one from that list, was going to go for You Really Got Me - The Kinks until I remembered All Day and All of the Night has a better riff......imo.

Ended up choosing Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple as it was one of the first songs to get me hooked on a riff.

The problem is that half the folk who vote won't know what a riff is.

Very true unfortunately, which is why stuff like Daft Punk - Get Lucky and Radiohead - No Surprises shouldn't be on the list, they have hooks not a riffs......imo.

I would agree that CCR should be on it, but what about Fortunate Son or Run Through The Jungle, they are two belters as well.

Absolutely, as is Suzy Q and several others, it is an absolute joke that not one of them has made it but Take Me Out has. :lol:

The 2 disc Best of CCR album is probably the most played on my mp3 player though so I'm probably biased.

Romeo And The Lonely Girl by Thin Lizzy should be there. If we're talking Pearl Jam then Daughter and Yellow Ledbetter both have better riffs.

Good shout on Motorcycle Emptiness. That's one of my favourites as well. You Love Us, Everything Must Go and Everything Must Go all have cracking riffs.

A few more:

Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Part 2: My Morning Jacket

Wordless Chorus: My Morning Jacket

Cult Of Personality: Living Colour

Killing Yourself To Live: Black Sabbath

For Whom The Bell Tolls: Metallica

C.O.D.: AC/DC

Growing On Me: The Darkness

This Is The Place: Red Hot Chili Peppers

There's No Home For You Here: The White Stripes

In The Fade: Queens Of The Stone Age

Endless Blue: The Horrors

I Was A Teenage Anarchist: Against Me

Calling All Destroyers: Tsar

Black No.1: Type O Negative

Whirring: The Joy Formidable

Over The Hills And Far Away: Led Zeppelin

Bring The Noise: Anthrax

Bloodline: Slayer

Curl Of The Burl: Mastodon

Death To All But Metal: Steel Panther

Home Sweet Home: Motley Crue

Living On A Chain Gang: Skid Row

Jamie's Cryin: Van Halen

Flight Of Icarus: Iron Maiden

What Zep song was on it? Kashmir? If so you can hardly argue with that.

I'd have gone with Immigrant Song or Black Dog.

No Smoke on the Water which was a surprise

It was there yesterday when I voted for it! :lol:

Archived