Morton v Spartans

Wisnae there but efter the nonsense that was a defence last year Duffy was right to get that sorted first. Our first choices in the centre and upfront were missing and we still won, kept a clean sheet and a debut goal from a player making his way through the ranks.

We're a right greetin' faced bunch

I'm sure a chocolate watch is in the post for a full-time side beating a non-league outfit two levels beneath them, at home.

There will have to be convincing results in the next two matches before we can even assume that the squad is competitive at our level.

I'm sure a chocolate watch is in the post for a full-time side beating a non-league outfit two levels beneath them, at home.

There will have to be convincing results in the next two matches before we can even assume that the squad is competitive at our level.

Agreed.Dire stuff

This is just a c&p of my post on the Morton forum.

It's going to be a long season ahead.

Dominated possession whilst Spartans offered very little, bar what we gave them. The goal was really well worked, but other than that we had almost nothing up front.

A late equaliser would have surprised no-one.

Team will need months to gel, so we have to make ourselves hard to beat until we work out how to score goals.

Duffy jumped about like a slightly calmer version of Michael Stipe.

I'm honestly not sure what people expected from this season. Spartans would be in the SPFL if there'd been relegation from the bottom league a while ago - one example being that their big lumps at the back were actually capable of playing to their strengths and counteracting their weaknesses.

If people are going to react negatively to games like that where we win 1-0, I imagine it'll be a long season for them. I hated parts of this game, sure, but this isn't a season to play like Barcelona - I don't even care if we play "good" football, in fact. But we did win, we did what we needed, and that's all the record book will show.

Complaining about a win is a bit silly, really (save it for Berwick next week...)

Thought we had a good 2nd half. Were missing some key players in the middle today too but after a nervous start we got into the game and certainly started the second half well.

There is a big step up in the standard but got to be happy that I was disappointed we didn't sneak an equaliser at the end. Shows we were just about in it.

Good day out and hope to see you again soon!

I'm honestly not sure what people expected from this season.

I'd expect a competent full-time side to have more than enough to suggest a strong title challenge at an almost entirely part-time level. Of course, we appointed Duffy, have signed no-marks and well, almost nobody for attacking: which is the precise reason why there is relief at just getting through this tie rather than anticipation at seeing the degree of attacking skill required at home all season.

Excuses that fans should basically shut up and be grateful that the side isn't chucking in goals every week at a higher level aren't going to wash, unless shitfesting actually sustains a decent league challenge to get back there. Without a drastic improvement in the squad's strength and depth that isn't going to happen though.

I can see Berwick getting ET next week.

I'd expect a competent full-time side to have more than enough to suggest a strong title challenge at an almost entirely part-time level. Of course, we appointed Duffy, have signed no-marks and well, almost nobody for attacking: which is the precise reason why there is relief at just getting through this tie rather than anticipation at seeing the degree of attacking skill required at home all season.

Excuses that fans should basically shut up and be grateful that the side isn't chucking in goals every week at a higher level aren't going to wash, unless shitfesting actually sustains a decent league challenge to get back there. Without a drastic improvement in the squad's strength and depth that isn't going to happen though.

I can see Berwick getting ET next week.

What's clear is that the difference between full-time and part-time (or any other level of football, really) is no longer as accented as you seem to believe. It's fast becoming a desperate cliché: "b-b-but we're full time, that makes us good right?" But if you're going to keep speaking in hyperbole ("nobody for attacking"), and seemingly focusing your level of satisfaction solely on the attacking side of the game, then clearly we're coming at it from very different sides.

At no point did I say I was satisfied with the performance today, but we do need to keep things in perspective here - that was the diddy cup. Simmer.

That's not clear at all - Dunfermline will quite clearly coast the league, leaving ourselves as the full-time exception that for countless incompetency-based reasons proves the rule. Even if you were to discuss expectations in terms of wage budget, or turnover, Morton ought to be mounting some form of albeit distant challenge to the other full-time outfit. This current squad is quite obviously not equipped to do so, and another season at this level would be utterly catastrophic for the club's finances - no hyperbole required there.

That's not clear at all - Dunfermline will quite clearly coast the league, leaving ourselves as the full-time exception that for countless incompetency-based reasons proves the rule. Even if you were to discuss expectations in terms of wage budget, or turnover, Morton ought to be mounting some form of albeit distant challenge to the other full-time outfit. This current squad is quite obviously not equipped to do so, and another season at this level would be utterly catastrophic for the club's finances - no hyperbole required there.

I can confidently predict your lovely blue hoops will be at best third ...the fifer cocks have a much bigger support than your pathetic 1700 average and Duffy is clueless,.embed yourself for a good few seasons in your much vaunted seaside leagues

I can confidently predict your lovely blue hoops will be at best third ...the fifer cocks have a much bigger support than your pathetic 1700 average and Duffy is clueless,.embed yourself for a good few seasons in your much vaunted seaside leagues

Average 1700 lol. When was the last time we had that sort of attendance at cappielow?

Were there many Spartans fans at this game? Was tempted to go along to this one and sit in the away section but instead decided on going to the 8 goal thriller/match at Ochilview instead.

About 35 was my guess.

Anyway, not at all an encouraging performance but I'm still convincing myself we'll have at least another three signings before the league starts, so I'm not reading too much into it. Though if we don't get more players in then it'll already be understandable to panic about how this season's going to go.

About 35 was my guess.

Anyway, not at all an encouraging performance but I'm still convincing myself we'll have at least another three signings before the league starts, so I'm not reading too much into it. Though if we don't get more players in then it'll already be understandable to panic about how this season's going to go.

Thought they might have taken a few more than that in all honesty!

Team will need months to gel, so we have to make ourselves hard to beat until we work out how to score goals.

Duffy jumped about like a slightly calmer version of Michael Stipe.

Noticed that at the Ren Cup game. Non stop shouting for 90mins, very animated. Got to be worrying for him, from what I seen nobody on the park was organising it for Morton, it was all JD. For the majority of the time the players weren't even doing what they were told, even after they asked JD what they should be doing.

Archived