Motherwell FC 2014/15 season

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a bit harsh considering the utter shite we've signed in the past. I remember when McLeish signed John Henry. And that Eddie May deal still rankles to this day. £200K, and John Philliben AND Stevie Kirk - mental!

Lawson is just unlucky that he is made of talc and feathers and has been injured for the vast majority of his 2 years. But I do wonder if that is related the poor training regimes that Hutchison commented on ages ago.

As for Vigurs, any player that comes to Motherwell and declares himself "shit hot" is doomed to fail.

Nope it was a much worse deal for well than that ....it was 225 grand stevie kirk & mowgli (rip) for the ahem ubiquitous Mr may

I always thought Eddie May wasn't that bad. There was a decent player there. He just suffered cos we paid too much and gave away a true Motherwell legend for him.

Vigurs and Lawson, both a total waste of a wage, talented or not.

:rolleyes:

Sorry - I'm not embarrassed about predicting 4th or 5th in July after much the same squad got us 2nd the year before - No-one seriously saw the crash we had this season coming. I thought Rangers would win the 1st Division too - shows what I know...

I always thought Eddie May wasn't that bad. There was a decent player there. He just suffered cos we paid too much and gave away a true Motherwell legend for him.

Vigurs and Lawson, both a total waste of a wage, talented or not.

Agreed. May was decent enough. It was the circumstances surrounding his move that got him undue stick IMO.

Can't really grumble with your second point.

Im sure McLeish also, after getting his man in the worst deal known to football, played him in a completely different position to the one he'd been good in at Falkirk.

To be fair, he was outstanding in the second half of last season. Granted, four months out of a two year contract isn't too good overall. I still think, in five years time, he'll be looked back upon as a good Motherwell player. Paul Lawson, on the other hand, may well go down as one of the worst signings in my lifetime. Considering the no doubt decent wages he'd be on, did he even get into double figures for appearances? Made of glass.

I'll be astonished if I remember Iain Vigurs in five years. Presumably, as now, there will still be folk claiming he's great and simply under appreciated for contributing for four months out of 24 month contract.

I don't wish the guy ill or anything, I just don't get it.

I'll be astonished if I remember Iain Vigurs in five years. Presumably, as now, there will still be folk claiming he's great and simply under appreciated for contributing for four months out of 24 month contract.

I don't wish the guy ill or anything, I just don't get it.

I suppose in the same way an element of our support had a hard on for Eliphas Shivute, a complete dud but had a bit of pace and could pull off the odd trick now and again so that blinded a lot of Motherwell fans to the fact he was in fact hopeless. The same goes for Eric Deloumeaux who some raved about but was in fact pretty guff and Gannon's favourite son Yassin Moutouakil, who was out of football altogether shortly after leaving us.

I get that fans are desperate to have their heroes, but that often leads to wild assumptions over a players actual ability and football fans in general have always been a sucker for a bit of fancy footwork and/or pace and that blinds people over certain players.

Some of the comments about Vigurs on this thread and from Motherwell fans in general are just absolutely awful.

Comparing him to Shivute or Benni Kemble..... What the actual.

In my opinion he is a very talented footballer who has a excellent range of passes with the ability to create and score goals. Played in the right position you would have a top top player.

I would much rather watch a player like Vigurs than a Lasley or a Sutton any day of the week.

To be honest it does not however surprise me, when you think back to Higdon and most recently the comments about Lee Erwin I genuinely despair, some Well fans seem happy to watch guys who run around all day long, sliding into tackles needlessly then punting the ball away or giving it away.... Rather than players who are happy with the ball at their feet and willing to take a gamble to make something happen.

But aslong as they run a lot and sprint back it's ok...

Lee Erwin ... guys who run around all day long, sliding into tackles needlessly then punting the ball away or giving it away....

:)

Some of the comments about Vigurs on this thread and from Motherwell fans in general are just absolutely awful.

In my opinion he is a very talented footballer who has a excellent range of passes with the ability to create and score goals. Played in the right position you would have a top top player.

I would much rather watch a player like Vigurs than a Lasley or a Sutton any day of the week.

To be honest it does not however surprise me, when you think back to Higdon and most recently the comments about Lee Erwin I genuinely despair, some Well fans seem happy to watch guys who run around all day long, sliding into tackles needlessly then punting the ball away or giving it away.... Rather than players who are happy with the ball at their feet and willing to take a gamble to make something happen.

I get what you're saying - I've mostly called him frustrating rather than shite or anything like that and he has provided some good moments - but over the 2 years, he didn't have nearly enough good games to justify another contract IMO. I too prefer to watch skillful players - but both Lasley and Sutton (to use your example) have delivered the goods in a big way and so are in a different league to Vigurs in their contribution to the club.

As for Vigurs and his "right position" - if that position doesn't exist in the system our managers want to play, then it doesn't make the case for him to stay any stronger - it makes it weaker if anything. We had a similar thing with Ross Forbes when he broke through - great when played in a very specific role but that role was not something that we could really accommodate in most games - so he was surplus to requirements.

Vigurs could well be a big hit at another club in the way he was at County - and I hope he shakes off his injury problems and does that..

You're aware it isn't a binary choice, aye? That you're either a good footballer or you run about a lot?

Higdon was brilliant for us because he made a contribution, he scored goals, he brought other players into the game, he offered a lot even defensively, you'd be hard pushed to find me making a negative comment about him. I'm a big Erwin fan too, fwiw.

Vigurs hasn't contributed anything like enough as a Motherwell player and has been a huge disappointment. I'm not moaning about him not running around enough, if he was pinging passes about, creating goals and scoring them, or even doing any one of those things, I couldn't care less if he didn't move out the centre circle. But he doesn't create enough, doesn't score enough, and simply hasn't given enough.

You're aware it isn't a binary choice, aye? That you're either a good footballer or you run about a lot?

Higdon was brilliant for us because he made a contribution, he scored goals, he brought other players into the game, he offered a lot even defensively, you'd be hard pushed to find me making a negative comment about him. I'm a big Erwin fan too, fwiw.

Vigurs hasn't contributed anything like enough as a Motherwell player and has been a huge disappointment. I'm not moaning about him not running around enough, if he was pinging passes about, creating goals and scoring them, or even doing any one of those things, I couldn't care less if he didn't move out the centre circle. But he doesn't create enough, doesn't score enough, and simply hasn't given enough.

^^^

Planning for the Iain Vigurs quiz 5 years from now IMO...

Has Vigurs even played under Baraclough? He went off in the 2-2 game vs County when Bara took the job right? He's not been fit since then correct?

I think that broadly speaking if a player (not just Vigurs) hasn't figured for a new manager who's been in charge for half a season and is out of contract then it's fairly unlikely that he's going to get offered a new deal. You could obviously make concessions based on previous performances or he's been established at the club (say it was Hammell we were talking about here for example) but I don't think Vigurs is one of those players, despite the obvious qualities he has.

Whether he's objectively "a good player" doesn't really come into it, it's about whether he's made a contribution that justifies a new deal and also more importantly whether he's the sort of player that the new manager wants. It may well be the case that Baraclough feels he could bring in someone that better suits his plans than Vigurs does.

Hiya Motherwell, hiya pals.

Got a nice wee spot for you.

2003 and all that.

Every cloud and that. At least there's a chance we get to tuck Falkirk away... again. #bantz

Archived