Day 2

Mr Bairn

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off to the table tennis later. Somewhat drunkenly purchased tickets last night for a sport neither I nor my gf know anything about, but they were cheap and close to our flat so table tennis it is.

Anyone know anything about it?

Off to the table tennis later. Somewhat drunkenly purchased tickets last night for a sport neither I nor my gf know anything about, but they were cheap and close to our flat so table tennis it is.

Anyone know anything about it?

Yeah, it's a bit like tennis, and it's played on a table.

Seriously, some games can be pretty good. Great stuff when you get a rally where one player is so far back from the table that they seem to be in the next postcode, but can still land the ball on the table.

"Big" Georgie Cupidon was playing for the Seychelles as well, his Wiki says he's 13 stone. Bit generous.

He is massive.

Scotland seem to look pretty good but Malaysia and England are supposedly the favourites but I haven't seen England. Falklands are the worst I've seen out of any of the teams too. I think the Singapore president was here in the morning too.

Yeah, it's a bit like tennis, and it's played on a table.

Seriously, some games can be pretty good. Great stuff when you get a rally where one player is so far back from the table that they seem to be in the next postcode, but can still land the ball on the table.

Should be fun at least. £15 each and the event lasts for five hours, not badly priced.

Weightlifting last night was pretty good. Barely ever seen it on TV before but 'live' you quite quickly come to understand the dynamics and tactics involved, plus the crowd warmed to some of the lifters personalities. Cypriot lad won which surprised me. Equalled CG snatch record.

Bowls this afternoon was pleasant but forgettable. Not even 1/2 full, not helped by the only ties on the showgreens being the visually-impaired doubles finals (where the Scots sadly never hit consistency and had to settle for Silver).

Great to be at the judo this evening with 3 Scottish and 1 Welsh golds. That said the atmosphere - although still decent - wasn't what you'd have expected given that outcome. Quite a mixed crowd. Best individual moments were Sherrington the Scottish 100kg+ winner donning his Royal Marines beret, and the Mauritius lass who won an unexpected bronze - to say she was delighted would be understatement of the year.

Archived