Season Ticket Sales

It's always surprised me how poorly supported St Mirren are in terms of size of the place. Over 76000 people, which is considerably higher than Killie at 46000. You would have thought they could get season ticket sales around 6000 or more!

Do they suffer more than any other side with punters going to watch the OF?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always surprised me how poorly supported St Mirren are in terms of size of the place. Over 76000 people, which is considerably higher than Killie at 46000. You would have thought they could get season ticket sales around 6000 or more!

Albion Rovers? Coatbridge has a pop of around 40,000, similar to Killie, yet they are one of the worst supported teams in Scotland

You might be onto something there.......................................

Don't imagine we suffer any more than Partick Thistle for example. I was born in Paisley but raised in Johnstone. My school was full of the club that used to be Rangers supporters, while the other big school was full of Sellik supporters. One was Johnstone High, the other St Cuthberts in Spateston....

I'll leave it to forum users to guess which school equated to which support group.

Paisley, Johnstone, Renfrew, Kilbarchan, Houston, Kilmacolm, Bridge of Weir.... you name the place, it'll be full of 'Old Firm' bawbags.

Paisley, Johnstone, Renfrew, Kilbarchan, Houston, Kilmacolm, Bridge of Weir.... you name the place, it'll be full of 'Old Firm' bawbags.

You missed out Elderslie. It's full of them too.

Bishopton, Crosslee, Lochwinnoch... Bawbags everywhere. Morton suffer badly too. 'OF' buses pour out of Greenock.

Size of population, in Scotland, does not reflect at all on the support clubs like St Mirren, Partick or Morton can hope to get. Sure, doing well on-field always helps, but there's always the underlying problem of ingrained bawbaggery.

My favourite English team is Newcastle. I am deeply envious of their genuine 'one town, one team' credentials.

hamilton have a pop of around 50,000, they are the only team in south lanarkshire which is the 5th most populous place in scotland with 311,000 resident, yet struggle most games to get 1500 home fans.

Bishopton, Crosslee, Lochwinnoch... Bawbags everywhere. Morton suffer badly too. 'OF' buses pour out of Greenock.

Size of population, in Scotland, does not reflect at all on the support clubs like St Mirren, Partick or Morton can hope to get. Sure, doing well on-field always helps, but there's always the underlying problem of ingrained bawbaggery.

My favourite English team is Newcastle. I am deeply envious of their genuine 'one town, one team' credentials.

You can add pretty much every city, town and village in Scotland to that list, it saddens me that folk from all over Scotland can somehow justify supporting (even if its just by buying the shirts) a team from a city that they have nothing to do with. I realise that people from Glasgow are allowed to leave the place but the number of OF fans is completely disproportionate and sadly not just for football reasons, even glory hunting would be preferable to some of the reasons why some are into all 'that' shit.

You can add pretty much every city, town and village in Scotland to that list, it saddens me that folk from all over Scotland can somehow justify supporting (even if its just by buying the shirts) a team from a city that they have nothing to do with. I realise that people from Glasgow are allowed to leave the place but the number of OF fans is completely disproportionate and sadly not just for football reasons, even glory hunting would be preferable to some of the reasons why some are into all 'that' shit.

Most people I know in Dundee either support Dundee or Dundee Utd with a small minority supporting an English team or the old firm. I know mines could be different from yours but it's good to see from my point of view.

Ibrox is 7 miles from Paisley town centre and Celtic Park 11 miles. Every week busloads of OF fans leave for the 10/15 min drive to Glasgow. I used to run a pub team and only 3 in the squad went to Love St with an equal measure of about 6 each going to each Glasgow club and they were all Paisley boys.

In the days before Souness when the TFKAR were going down the tubes football-wise, the Rangers guys starting coming along to Love St like many other Rangers fans and we used to get crowds of 10-15K per home game then the TFKAR started improving and they all drifted back to Ibrox and our crowds dropped again. Close proximity means we will never get a huge support unless we take sides and become a sectarian club but then St Mirren would lose the 3,500 that do go every week.

My guess on what clubs have sold the most do far would go in this order...

Celtic

Aberdeen

Dundee Utd

Motherwell

Dundee

Kilmarnock

St Mirren

Partick

St Johnstone

Ross County

Inverness

Hamilton

I'm probably well off the mark here.

My guess on what clubs have sold the most do far would go in this order...

Celtic

Aberdeen

Dundee Utd

Motherwell

Dundee

Kilmarnock

St Mirren

Partick

St Johnstone

Ross County

Inverness

Hamilton

I'm probably well off the mark here.

I'd imagine we'd be above Motherwell as well.

Think the actual figure is round about the 40000 mark. I was speaking to someone in the ticket office about the KR game and they said they had to send out that many for season ticket holders.

I'd heard we were still around the 25k mark, granted that was a couple of weeks ago, but the problem is, the last few seasons we've sold about 40 odd thousand season tickets, yet only around half of them seem to be using them regularly.

Celtic have sold 755,000. So well done to them.

Considering we took 8 billion to Seville, that's a poor return. :rolleyes:

Ibrox is 7 miles from Paisley town centre and Celtic Park 11 miles. Every week busloads of OF fans leave for the 10/15 min drive to Glasgow. I used to run a pub team and only 3 in the squad went to Love St with an equal measure of about 6 each going to each Glasgow club and they were all Paisley boys.

In the days before Souness when the TFKAR were going down the tubes football-wise, the Rangers guys starting coming along to Love St like many other Rangers fans and we used to get crowds of 10-15K per home game then the TFKAR started improving and they all drifted back to Ibrox and our crowds dropped again. Close proximity means we will never get a huge support unless we take sides and become a sectarian club but then St Mirren would lose the 3,500 that do go every week.

Funny you say that, there was a guy originally from the Paisley area who used to drink in a local of mine, haven't seen the guy in years, not bothered as he was a clown, but he was one of those guys that, it wasn't enough that he was a rangers fan, he wanted everyone to know. Anyway, one night he's giving it the big licks about "ra peepul" and what not, only for one of the old boys to pass comment about how it wasn't that long ago he was a fairly regular visitor to Love Street, talk about shutting the guy up! I wasn't aware it was a common thing around about that time, just sums up the glory hunters who attach themselves to rangers, and Celtic for that matter.

I'd imagine we'd be above Motherwell as well.

I would expect Dundee to be above us also. Sure last year was 3600-4000. would not expect that to inceases this year.

Dundee will have the benefit of promotion and goodwill to provide a boost.

I work with a girl from Maryhill who has been there all her life and she and her family are Ibrox season ticket holders. Know it's a bit rich coming from an English Thistle supporter living in Paisley, but still that's pretty sad shit to me.

I would expect Dundee to be above us also. Sure last year was 3600-4000. would not expect that to inceases this year.

Dundee will have the benefit of promotion and goodwill to provide a boost.

Dundee fans goodwill ran out a long time ago. If we were run correctly I'd say we'd be slightly above United. As it is we'll sell around 3700-4000. Give us a couple of years in the top flight with sustainable management and we'll be nearer 5000, maybe slightly more but that's still a long way off with as big a basket case as out club has tended to be over the years.

Archived