Brechin City v Dumbarton

Team - Rogers, V Zanten, Linton, Graham, Mair, Turner, Gilhaney, Agnew, Nish, Megginson, Prunty

Subs - Grindlay, Kirkpatrick, Taggart, McDougall, Campbell, Murray, Coleman

No Fleming which is a surprise. Kirkpatrick on the bench also a weird one. But at least it appears that Prunty will be playing in a more advanced role (appears being the key word!)

Fleming hip injury, according to Twitter

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we won. That is the only positive to take from that.

I seriously hope Murray doesn't persist with that formation and those tactics this season, because it just does not work and is absolutely horrendous to watch. As Moonster says, Prunty is not a midfielder. Nish upfront on his own is totally ineffective, he desperately needs someone alongside him. We were so narrow today and didn't get Megginson involved at all. Our midfield sat so deep and we were incredibly negative; a far cry from the free-flowing, all-out attack of last season. It wasn't even as though we looked solid at the back by playing so negatively; we were carved open a few times and, if it hadn't been for some woeful finishing from Brechin, would have been punished.

Campbell looked good when he came on, that's probably the only other positive.

I can only hope that after seeing that Murray ditches the negative tactics and sets us up to play like last season, which served us so well.

Ach well wins a win. Campbell was good, Mair was solid, Prunty isn't a midfielder, Rogers kicking is decent and Nish can't play upfront alone

Not a memorable win by any stretch and doesn't make sense to put Kirky on the bench and play Prunts in midfield.

We ve played worse n won , some horrendous desicion making in last third cost us.... Would ve kept Thomson on as well but early days and we played well enough ..Defence looked a bit better although right backs distribution was iffy at times not finding our players and a few hospital balls....Dumbartons big no 9 nish I think? Likes to put himself about...

Given the teams in the Chanpionship this season I would hardly blame Murray for setting the team up more negatively than last season. Brechin had one real good chance in the first half. Other than that we were never really in danger.

Given the teams in the Chanpionship this season I would hardly blame Murray for setting the team up more negatively than last season. Brechin had one real good chance in the first half. Other than that we were never really in danger.

If he sets us up like that in the Championship we will really struggle.

Can't say I agree with that. Disappointed to lose the game with Trouten missing two glorious chances. Dumbarton didn't offer a lot other than a scrappy goal and a couple of Agnew free kicks. If we had grabbed an equaliser I'd have expected us to go on and win.

Very much the proverbial game of 2 halves.

First half was dire. Our passing was poor, Prunty and Megginson were non-existant and Nish generally plodded around the park looking sorry for himself. Van Zanten didn't look too hot and I thought Brechin would have targeted him more in the 2nd half because it looked like there was space behind him in the first.

2nd half? Completely different performance. Nish was actually challenging for the ball and winning a fair few. The introduction of Archie Campbell (despite what the tanoy announced) made us far more dangerous and he looked like he'd cause the Brechin defenders some real problems running at them.

Thought Scott Linton had a great game. Despite the wet park, he timed his tackles really well and he looked as effective going forward as he was at the back. I don't think the bookings were really bookings - the ref could have called persistent fouling and booked more players if he'd kept to the standard he set in the first half - he booked Turner and a Brechin player for tackles that were clumsy due to the wet pitch but should never have been yellow cards. A bit whistle-happy for me.

Keeper pulled off a great save in the 2nd half and luckily the Brechin player waiting on the rebound was offside. He looked good clearing with his feet and our back 4 used him pretty regularly to clear balls out of defence.

Certainly some positives despite the poor first half. 1-0 Sons was the right result overall.

If he sets us up like that in the Championship we will really struggle.

I don't mind the shape of the team but the personnel will undoubtedly change for the league.

Kirkpatrick will likely feature instead of Prunty in that midfield. Campbell didn't do his prospects any harm at all when he came on either and I think we'll see more of him playing in the 3 behind Colin Nish.

Not convinced by Van Zanten though.

If everyone remembers back to last season we only scraped a 1-0 win over an Albion Rovers team who'd go on to finish 7th or 8th (can't remember for sure) in League 2 and that was at home too! Still very early days and I won't be getting too worked up or too negative over this game, this was afterall a Brechin team who beat Cowden (one of our main rivals) 3-1 at CP last week.

E.T.A Not fully convinced by Van Zanten either, said before the game I'd like to see Taggart given a shot at RB and I still would. Vanzy seems to get beaten (particularly by pacey wingers) far too often.

Really like Campbell, think he and Garry could form a very decent strikeforce.

Edit once again: Forgot to say, to any Sons fan looking for a positive, a clean sheet! Not often at all we get one of them...the last time (excluding friendlies) was against Morton on January 4th!

I don't mind the shape of the team but the personnel will undoubtedly change for the league.

Kirkpatrick will likely feature instead of Prunty in that midfield. Campbell didn't do his prospects any harm at all when he came on either and I think we'll see more of him playing in the 3 behind Colin Nish.

Not convinced by Van Zanten though.

Nish (or any of our other strikers) on his own upfront is never something that's going to work. Play him alongside Campbell and we'll see more of the kind of play that set Nish up for his disallowed goal. Also, playing Aggy so deep really doesn't get the best out of him. We don't have a team that is capable of shitfesting it's way through games; we need to play to our strengths.

Strangest thing about today for me was playing Prunty- a striker- in attacking mid ahead of Jordan Kirkpatrick -an attacking midfielder, and a very good one at that- in attacking midfield. Bizarre.

Archived