Police Scotland for No.....

Mr Bairn

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are at least 50 athletes currently representing Scotland at this Commonwealth games who represent Team GB at the Olympics. By this measure, if it's okay to wave the Tricolour then it's okay to wave the union flag

There are at least 50 athletes currently representing Scotland at this Commonwealth games who represent Scotland at the Olympics. By this measure, if it's okay to wave the Tricolour then it's okay to wave the union flag

No there aren't. You dozy twat.

With regard to the flags nonsense, I you'll note that I made no comment about the appropriateness (or otherwise) of the tricolour. I was just pointing out that you were talking nonsense again.

However, now you've suggested the concept, I think I'll wear a Scotland top & wave a Saltire at Hamilton Accies v Arbroath on Saturday. I'm sure my fellow Lichties will feel it's totally appropriate to show my support in this manner.

No there aren't. You dozy twat.

With regard to the flags nonsense, I you'll note that I made no comment about the appropriateness (or otherwise) of the tricolour. I was just pointing out that you were talking nonsense again.

However, now you've suggested the concept, I think I'll wear a Scotland top & wave a Saltire at Hamilton Accies v Arbroath on Saturday. I'm sure my fellow Lichties will feel it's totally appropriate to show my support in this manner.

Wouldn't bother me tbh. Can I hold the saltire with you? ;)

Seriously though, trying to have a convo with Mr Bairn is pointless these days. He's back to being a troll.

There are at least 50 athletes currently representing Scotland at this Commonwealth games who represent Team GB at the Olympics. By this measure, if it's okay to wave the Tricolour then it's okay to wave the union flag

The original post didn't say "Team GB". He said they represented "Scotland" at the Olympics. I highlighted it when I quoted it FFS!

Dishonest to the core, this Unionist. You wonder where he gets it from.

The original post didn't say "Team GB". He said they represented "Scotland" at the Olympics. I highlighted it when I quoted it FFS!

Dishonest to the core, this Unionist. You wonder where he gets it from.

Yeah, that was just a typo. My point was that neither "Ireland" nor "GB" are competing, but athletes that represent them at the Olympics are. Thus, if it's wrong to wave a Union flag at these games then it's also wrong to fly a Tricolour.

What amazes me is the amount of publicity this flag flying, badge wearing retard has got for being being deliberately belligerent and breaking the clear rules? Are Nats really this petty?

I've read blogs online written by "cyberNats" complaining about the "distribution" of double sided flags - UJ one side, Saltire the other... seriously, is this what we are in for in the event of a yes vote?

I always knew that there was an element of Scottish people that were small minded and bigoted to the core, I just didn't realise how many until recently.

What amazes me is the amount of publicity this flag flying, badge wearing retard has got for being being deliberately belligerent and breaking the clear rules? Are Nats really this petty?

I've read blogs online written by "cyberNats" complaining about the "distribution" of double sided flags - UJ one side, Saltire the other... seriously, is this what we are in for in the event of a yes vote?

I always knew that there was an element of Scottish people that were small minded and bigoted to the core, I just didn't realise how many until recently.

Hang on now, which party is it you have a problem with?

The political flag waving ...ahem.."retard". Or the petty people that have a problem with it?

You are here: Home > British Flags > The Union Jack or The Union Flag?
The Union Jack or The Union Flag?

When the ‘Union Jack’ was first introduced in 1606, it was known simply as ‘the British flag’ or ‘the flag of Britain’, and was ordered to be flown at the main masthead of all ships, warships and merchant ships, of both England and Scotland.

The first use of the name ‘Union’ appears in 1625. There are various theories as how it became known as the ‘Union Jack’, but most of the evidence points to the name being derived from the use of the word ‘jack’ as a diminutive. This word was in use before 1600 to describe a small flag flown from the small mast mounted on the bowsprit, and by 1627 it appears that a small version of the Union flag was commonly flown in this position. For some years it was called just ‘the Jack’, or ‘Jack flag’, or ‘the King’s Jack’, but by 1674, while formally referred to as ‘His Majesty’s Jack’, it was commonly called the Union Jack, and this was officially acknowledged.

uk2008.gif

In the 18th century the small mast on the bowsprit was replaced by staysails on the stays between the bowsprit and the foremast. By this time the Ensign had become the principal naval distinguishing flag, so it became the practice to fly the Union Jack only in harbour, on a specially rigged staff in the bows of the ships, the jackstaff. It should thus be noted that the jack flag had existed for over a hundred and fifty years before the jack staff came into being, and its name was related to its size rather than to the position in which it was flown.

It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that “the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag”.

Cdr Bruce Nicolls OBE RN (Retd)

You are here: Home > British Flags > The Union Jack or The Union Flag?
The Union Jack or The Union Flag?

When the ‘Union Jack’ was first introduced in 1606, it was known simply as ‘the British flag’ or ‘the flag of Britain’, and was ordered to be flown at the main masthead of all ships, warships and merchant ships, of both England and Scotland.

The first use of the name ‘Union’ appears in 1625. There are various theories as how it became known as the ‘Union Jack’, but most of the evidence points to the name being derived from the use of the word ‘jack’ as a diminutive. This word was in use before 1600 to describe a small flag flown from the small mast mounted on the bowsprit, and by 1627 it appears that a small version of the Union flag was commonly flown in this position. For some years it was called just ‘the Jack’, or ‘Jack flag’, or ‘the King’s Jack’, but by 1674, while formally referred to as ‘His Majesty’s Jack’, it was commonly called the Union Jack, and this was officially acknowledged.

uk2008.gif

In the 18th century the small mast on the bowsprit was replaced by staysails on the stays between the bowsprit and the foremast. By this time the Ensign had become the principal naval distinguishing flag, so it became the practice to fly the Union Jack only in harbour, on a specially rigged staff in the bows of the ships, the jackstaff. It should thus be noted that the jack flag had existed for over a hundred and fifty years before the jack staff came into being, and its name was related to its size rather than to the position in which it was flown.

It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that “the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag”.

Cdr Bruce Nicolls OBE RN (Retd)

It's great that we have 'Their Lordships' showing us the way. What on earth would us simple mind folks do without them?

The sort of folk who might use slurs relating to mental disability?

Archived