Dundee FC vs Kilmarnock - 09/08/2014

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair result although our second half pressure could have given us all 3 points. Decent game of football. Much better than the turgid pish served up by the sides at Rugby Park on the opening day 2 years ago. Quite pleased with our performance. Now on to a tough game in Inverness.

What did he say?

McPake was solid today. Letheren a little shaky but pulled off a great save at the start of the game.

Aye stitches are symptoms of feigning injury so they are.

Anyways onto the game, thought we had the better of proceedings but in the first half, Killie had the better chances with an absolute cracker of a free-kick. Harkins went down very softly for the penalty. McLean as referee had a nightmare for both sides, I had to laugh at one point when Thomson was clearly fouled, expected the whistle to blow and proceeded to pick the ball up only for McLean to be daydreaming so Thomson played straight on.

We struggled in the first half because Killie were just playing long punts to Magennis who is never a football player by the way, but was dominant in the air which allowed Killie to advance on us whilst our wing backs were still in Killie's half and with the magic of Chris Johnston it's always dangerous.

Second half and it was all Dundee, Allan Johnston bringing on Eremenko for Johnston which was a bizarre substitution as it slowed Killie's counters down and allowed us to dominate the midfield even more easily than we had been doing. Samson pulled off a range of decent saves and kept Killie in the game. We really should have picked up 3 points.

Disappointments for Dundee today was Tankulic having to come so deep that he couldn't really have an effect on the game in the position he is most effective. Letheren was shaky as I mentioned but pulled off a fantastic save from a Magennis header which I thought was going to burst the net.

In summary, Dundee dominated throughout bar a 20-15 minute spell in the first half but Killie could have been walking away with all 3 points if they'd taken the opportunities we'd given to them by being far too casual at times and passing it straight to a Kilmarnock man in a dangerous position. On another day, we could have been punished.

They were talking about the petrofac league cup and who would win it as part of their season predictions and he basically admitted he didn't know it had started, had no idea who had been put out and then said "you know I only keep up with football in the upper reaches". Pissed me off.

My thoughts on today:

My first visit to Dens - loved the stadium a kind of half way house between Somerset and RP.

Great crowd, although I thought the Dundee fans were a bit quiet.

First half was even with maybe us shading up, possibly should've gone in ahead.

Second half we looked poor and I thought we got battered. We slipped back into our bad habits. Dundee played the style of football I would like to see us playing.

Tope was really poor. The bbc said he looked lively but I thought he was all over the place.

Heard Spencey saying under 500 Killie fans? Is that right? I'm no expert on estimating crowds but I thought there looked more? Also thought Killie fans were on about having sold 1k?

I did a quick guesstimate count during the game and came to a conclusion of definitely under 700. Under 500 is believable.

My thoughts on today:

My first visit to Dens - loved the stadium a kind of half way house between Somerset and RP.

Second half we looked poor and I thought we got battered. We slipped back into our bad habits. Dundee played the style of football I would like to see us playing.

Tope was really poor. The bbc said he looked lively but I thought he was all over the place.

Think you're being a wee bit hard on your team there.

But glad you enjoyed the ground.

The ticketing arrangement in the main stand was the usual fiasco. You're given a ticket with a seat specified but told you can sit anywhere without a reserved sticker. So then you have folk who hadn't had that message demanding folk move because they are 'sitting in their seat'. They should either not bother putting seat allocation on the tickets or insist folk sit in the seat specified. It gets a bit unsavoury at times.

Dindeleux - fair to say its a different harkins in a dundee shirt as opposed to a killie? Thought him and mcgowan were different class today. Harkins just oozes class for Dundee.

Id agree with your summary too. First half I thought we were nervous/too excited untill we calmed down in the 2nd. Second half we were excellent, our passing and build up play was a joy to watch at times and if we continue playing like that I think we will stay up no problem.

On viewing do we look good enough to stay up?

My thoughts on today:

Unfortunately Dens always seems quiet unless its a big big game. It's fairly open and the noise doesnt carry well. The Derry is where the singing comes from - rest on the ground is fairly quiet.

I actually got a complaint from the family next to me about my 3 boys being "too noisy an jumping about" in the coxy (the family stand essentially).... You can probably guess how that conversation went....

Jim played brilliantly when he came on, I think he maybe should have started. No idea why Boyle wasn't named; no doubt someone will start a rumour about to though.

Thought Boyle should have been on the bench in place of McBride. Ferry didn't have the impact today that he showed at the Peterheid game. Harkins and McGowan are PH's best signings. Thomson and McGinn not far behind. It's a worry that Tankulic didn't look so good. Agree, Wight on should get some football before decision is made over loan.

I thought it was a decent game and we definitely looked a lot better than last season, though we did drop back into old habits near the end. Chantler and Connolly look like great additions, but the two forwards (Obadeyi in particular) were poor.

Dundee's openness surprised me a bit - I expected them to be a lot more solid. Better teams than us will tear them to shreds. They lacked penetration too - their main tactics seemed to be to get wide and cross or hope that Harkins dribbled through the middle. They should stay up, but are never a top six side in a million years on that showing.

Unfortunately Dens always seems quiet unless its a big big game. It's fairly open and the noise doesnt carry well. The Derry is where the singing comes from - rest on the ground is fairly quiet.

I actually got a complaint from the family next to me about my 3 boys being "too noisy an jumping about" in the coxy (the family stand essentially).... You can probably guess how that conversation went....

There's only ever constant noise from the Derry when there's noisey away fans in the Shankly. When there's only a few hundred in the main stand they can't be heard in the Derry at all.

Dundee fans have always preferred singing and making noise at opposition fans than for the team.

I thought it was a decent game and we definitely looked a lot better than last season, though we did drop back into old habits near the end. Chantler and Connolly look like great additions, but the two forwards (Obadeyi in particular) were poor.

Dundee's openness surprised me a bit - I expected them to be a lot more solid. Better teams than us will tear them to shreds. They lacked penetration too - their main tactics seemed to be to get wide and cross or hope that Harkins dribbled through the middle. They should stay up, but are never a top six side in a million years on that showing.

Might not be top 6 - but much better than shite like Killie based on what we just saw.

Any updates from the megabus gang-bang?

Some poor lesbian is being beasted in the back seat while QLP smugly sits fist free

I actually thought tankulic was decent.

I thought he did pretty well too, he seemed to be playing as (another) number 10 he was playing pretty deep at times. While Harkins and McGowan stole the show with their flashy play, I thought Dyer had a great game and would probably be my MOTM. As for the game, I think Killie probably edged the first half with the Dundee players making a lot of errors, whether that was nerves I don't know but the second half was a different story. Dundee turned the screw a bit and I thought we were a bit unlucky not to score. First game of the season so still too early to say but I thought we played well especially in the second half and I'd like to see more of the same.

Oh aye, total seething. :rolleyes: More like trying not to laugh at the Dundee posters on here! Keep it up though, not much happening on the other treads just now!

Calm doon son ............mummy will be home soon

Archived