Dundee FC vs Kilmarnock - 09/08/2014

We take our chances and we win that game comfortably. Goals are definitely going to be a problem this season, although hopefully miller coming in will help. I'd have liked to see McKenzie play off Magennis rather than Tope as he was a complete carthorse. We came out for a point in the second half and our superb defending ensured we got it. I reckon we will finish above Dundee this season - Harkins is very inconsistent and without him on form its difficult to see much creativity in that team.
What a load of pish.
Head. Hurts. A brilliant day out though, with a surprisingly entertaining match to boot. As others have said, we were better in the first half and Dundee were much better in the second. Both teams hitting the crossbar too. For Killie - Barbour, Pascali, Eremenko and Obadeyi were the only players not to at least get pass marks. Chantler a good addition at left-back, Connolly solid at the back and Magennis was a pest. Positive about the season. As for Dundee, I don't think their fans need to worry. You'll comfortably stay up this year. Harkins was excellent, and Ferry, Thomson, McGowan and GGH looks like a great midfield for this level (I thought you told us that Harkins and McGowan couldn't play together St Mirren fans?!) so if you can keep them all fit then you stand a chance of pushing for the top-6. Oh, and if Killie have to suffer, then I may as well benefit ;)attachicon.gifGH.JPG
Never mind that, how did you get home because you weren't on that bus. Either that or you were, and you were the guy who kept denying being Quitongo's Left Peg every time I asked him. Poor bassa must've been wondering WTF was going on. We had a good laugh with four Killie fans on the way back although their refusal to accept Dundee will finish above Kilmarnock this season left me questioning their sanity. Good game but I have to agree with dd23's posts re Letheren. At one point Thomson was over at the dugout screaming at Geddes to get him telt. I reckon Bain will be number 1 sooner rather than later. Disappointed in you QLP, very disappointed.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a load of pish. Never mind that, how did you get home because you weren't on that bus. Either that or you were, and you were the guy who kept denying being Quitongo's Left Peg every time I asked him. Poor bassa must've been wondering WTF was going on. We had a good laugh with four Killie fans on the way back although their refusal to accept Dundee will finish above Kilmarnock this season left me questioning their sanity. Good game but I have to agree with dd23's posts re Letheren. At one point Thomson was over at the dugout screaming at Geddes to get him telt. I reckon Bain will be number 1 sooner rather than later. Disappointed in you QLP, very disappointed.

^^^^ Me thinks he doth protesteth too much.

QLP is probably cable tied to the bed beside him as he types. DM affectionately stroking his gaffa taped head as DJ lubes up his knob....

^^^^ Me thinks he doth protesteth too much.

QLP is probably cable tied to the bed beside him as he types. DM affectionately stroking his gaffa taped head as DJ lubes up his knob....

You know me too well.

Deafening silence re the bus trip home QLP.....

Was it rampant man love and everybody's feeling a bit sheepish this morning?

We will need to tighten up at the back for definite. With the offensive midfield we can concede massive amounts of space when attacks breakdown. I thought a combination of a bit of luck and the 2 Killie forwards being 'workmanlike' saved us. Johnston looked a real player for Killie - maybe they felt he was tiring but his substitution seemed odd.

I thought McPake looked exactly as I hoped he would - kind of no nonsense CH all teams like us crave. Got his head on a lot of crosses and had a few great one on one tackles. Konrad looked a bit lost and overwhelmed. McGinn - great going forward - a little naive in defence at times. Letheren - well - that was the least confident I've felt about him in any game.

I thought Killie's strikers were able to hold up or play off virtually every long ball. Against this kind of (massive but quite frankly piss poor) player we should have Davo in to challenge that physicality.

Thought Thomson needs to sharpen up a bit and get the ball moving quicker. Overall for first competitive game with a new team that was good and think we deserved the win (just). At this stage of the season how we play is as important as results because playing like that, while still ironing out a few issues, I can see a good season ahead.

Btw, have Killie been practising kicking the ball straight out the park because they were excellent at it yesterday. Special mention to Eremenko for switching the ball from left to straight out the right touchline and then blaming it on the helpless right back.

Don't know where a player like Eremenko will fit in at Killie when they plan on playing a long ball tactic. Magennis is a useless footballer but I imagine he'll be rather effective for Killie with that style.

For the penalty, I was worried when GGH decided to take it. He's not the best at penalties, but Samson (Who is an excellent penalty saver to give him his due) made Harkins mind up for him and dived before the ball was struck.

Dundee fans seem to be getting rather excited about a home draw against an understrength Killie side missing three key players. If Miller was available we would have been a lot more dangerous in attack and I can't imagine he would have wasted the opportunities that Obadeyi did.

As far as I know, Bain was the only one missing for Dundee. While having a proper goalkeeper instead of Letheren will probably help them a bit, I think there's more room for improvement in our side than theirs. Reckon we will finish quite comfortably ahead of them based on yesterday.

Dundee fans seem to be getting rather excited about a home draw against an understrength Killie side missing three key players. If Miller was available we would have been a lot more dangerous in attack and I can't imagine he would have wasted the opportunities that Obadeyi did.

As far as I know, Bain was the only one missing for Dundee. While having a proper goalkeeper instead of Letheren will probably help them a bit, I think there's more room for improvement in our side than theirs. Reckon we will finish quite comfortably ahead of them based on yesterday.

Charity bet that you won't? ;)

Based on yesterday?! We played you off the park in the second half. No-one can tell what the season holds for either team after one game but for you to say that you think you will comfortably finish above us after being the second best team by a mile is basically a lot of pish.

We held you to a draw away from home despite missing three key players. Your only goal came from a debatable penalty (haven't seen a replay yet) and Killie created the more clear cut chances.

Really? That day glow pish you wear as an away strip has blinded your reason. Killie created two chances in the first half, and scored a fantastic free kick. And that's it. How many saves did Samson have?

You must have left at half time.

I thought Killie's best chances came from us being slack with our passes at the back. Even in the first half, they had as many hopeless punts going through to Letheren as they did good chances. Second half was one way traffic, barring one moment of madness from Letheren. I'm more than confident if we create chances the way we did in the second half we'll stay up.

The two clearest chances of the game both fell to Obadeyi - one when he hit the bar in the first half and one when he went round the keeper and sclaffed it in the second half.

There's no doubt that Dundee had more chances and that Samson made more saves, but those were less clear cut and you would have expected him to save them all. I didn't claim at any point that Dundee didn't dominate the 2nd half, just that you couldn't convert that dominance into anything more than shots from 15-20 yards.

Home to Kilmarnock is a game you should be looking to win, in all fairness, pretty sure they lost more away games last season than any other team in the league. And home form is key to getting in the top half, only 7 teams won more home games than they lost, and six of those were in the top half by the end. Only three teams won away more than they lost, and they finished in the top three.

The most encouraging thing from yesterday was that every Killie chance was gifted to them with our defence passing it around.

Once half time come the guys seemed to completely cut it out and Killie's chances dried up.

If that's sorted then I can't see how that side can be much further ahead.

Archived