Andrew Robertson Hull City

Dryhorce

I always find it utterly depressing when a club release a young player for being "too small".

'too small' is just a polite way of telling a youngster that (in their opinion) they're not good enough. The only position where being small is a real hindrance is centre back but it's rare you'd play that position anyway unless you were at least average height.

In short, the 'he was released for being too small' line is almost certainly not the real reason. Why would a club release a player which they thought had the talent just because they weren't tall? Defies logic. Celtic just misjudged the guy's talent, or he was a 'late developer' and needed first team football. If they had something against small players how did Forrest and McGregor make it through the youth teams?

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

'too small' is just a polite way of telling a youngster that (in their opinion) they're not good enough. The only position where being small is a real hindrance is centre back but it's rare you'd play that position anyway unless you were at least average height.

In short, the 'he was released for being too small' line is almost certainly not the real reason. Why would a club release a player which they thought had the talent just because they weren't tall? Defies logic. Celtic just misjudged the guy's talent, or he was a 'late developer' and needed first team football. If they had something against small players how did Forrest and McGregor make it through the youth teams?

We seem to hear that "too small" excuse a lot though, an awful lot. As you say, could be just a line clubs use to soften the blow. I wonder what clubs tell big lads when they let them go; "you're not too small, you're just shit!"

Watched him against spurs yesterday. Didn't put a foot wrong despite his side being down to 10 for the full 2nd half. Any mistake he makes will be highlighted by people who think he's only good going forward but I'm convinced he has it all.

Well it's like Roy Keane admitted recently when asked about his decision to sell Jordan Rhodes for peanuts: "We made the mistake of focusing on what he couldn't do instead of capitalising on what he could do."

And, of course, Robertson's young enough to improve on his weaknesses anyway.

We seem to hear that "too small" excuse a lot though, an awful lot. As you say, could be just a line clubs use to soften the blow. I wonder what clubs tell big lads when they let them go; "you're not too small, you're just shit!"

We do, but I don't really believe it's the real reason in most cases. It's also the kind of excuse that a released player would use to save face. If you look at the young players that have come through the youth teams in recent years they seem to all be relatively small players - Forrest, Gauld, McGregor and many more around the Premiership. It's pretty clear that if you're talented then being small is not going to prevent you making it.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

We do, but I don't really believe it's the real reason in most cases. It's also the kind of excuse that a released player would use to save face. If you look at the young players that have come through the youth teams in recent years they seem to all be relatively small players - Forrest, Gauld, McGregor and many more around the Premiership. It's pretty clear that if you're talented then being small is not going to prevent you making it.

McGregor is 5' 11" I think - not really small

• 4 years later...
On 21/10/2014 at 20:08, Fotbawmad said:

I have little doubt Robertson will be playing for a team at Champions League level in the next couple of seasons, and I do agree there are some big teams who do have gaps in his position.

On 14/11/2014 at 22:08, ForzaDundee said:

Ballon D'or contender.

Two folk who know what was happening, on the first page.