Inverness Caledonian Thistle vs Dundee FC - 13/08/14

Is this not arrogance in itself?? Have you seen willie dyer?? He's a very different player to the willie dyer that came to dens under bomber.

In terms of game changing difference I think McKay is caleys main man. You were all frothing at the mouth to trumpet how good he is. Overall I don't think your defence is any better than ours.

Shinnie is a quality player, no doubt about it and of course he is superior to dyer. There again I'd probably say that McGowan is better than any of caleys midfielders. Thomson is looking like the player he was and again his pedigree is streets ahead of anything caley have.

My comment wasn't the only player we need to worry about is McKay - of course it isn't, but he is the major difference between the 2 teams. Both like to keep the ball and build from the back, both are defensively quite solid, both have fairly solid goalkeepers. Caley have a proven goalscorer, we don't.

If that's classed as arrogance in the highlands the maybe it is as backwards as some make out.

Don't go basing the relative strength of the 2 teams on this 1 game though, Inverness on a wet Wednesday is a nightmare away day, let's wait until caley come to dens and compare over both games.

Deary me, the league is over 38 games that decides who is the best teams not one visit to Inverness and one visit to Dens and going by your assessment of players you have been away from the top division too long.

Last season we had the 4th best defence in the Premiership. Only Celtic, Aberdeen and St. Johnstone were better, I'd be fuckin' amazed if Dundee can concede less than 44 goals and finish 4th best in that department in their first season back. :huh:

There's no arrogance just a knowledge of how it is in this league and from what I have read over the last few days from many Dundee fans they have a staggering naivety towards what faces them and its a long, long season. At least you have a decent manager who doesn't underestimate the task in hand and I'm sure the players are more firmly grounded than the support.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even the 3G is pretty garbage at the ground. Especially "Everything Everywhere".

Looks like the trains are back on in case any Dee fans are travelling up to the Highlands by rail. Couple of delays but at least they're back on.

Are you confident the game will be on ? I know the trains were off and the weathers been pretty gash 'oop north'.

I'm looking forward to the game, not with much confidence but it will give us another game for the team to gel, there were weaknesses against Killie, especially in the first half but we were better in the second so hopefully a bit more game time against SPL opposition will help. I'd be more than happy with a point at the moment and keep a bit of momentum.

This is the unfounded arrogance I was on about in other threads. Some fans seem to genuinely believe Willie Dyer is a similar standard to Graeme Shinnie

Although I disagree with billy Mackay being the only difference between the teams, I very much doubt this match will be won/lost in the battle of the full backs

You do realise he's a St Johnstone supporter?

Give me Ryan Christie over Paul McGowan or Gary Harkins. Any day.

I realised after typing it all out and tried to adapt it from "your" to caley where I could. Was I f**k deleting it all!

In fairness boredomguy follows Dundee threads around like a bad smell so I shouldn't really be feeding the troll.

Dundee fans knowledge of caley players and the converse won't be as up to speed due to the lack of meetings between the 2 in recent years.

Would be good to generate some football discussion and debate as opposed to the raft of point scoring tedium that preceded my post.

In amongst the mentions of Thomson, McGowan and Harkins we've not even talked about ferry who will surprise a few people this year, he's a very effective player.

The proof of the pudding will be tonight. I stand by my assertions that a point is a great result but I'm hoping for, rather than expecting that outcome. From what caley fans say they like to keep the ball and spread it around so that should hopefully make for a good game.

I work in Aberdeen so was going to nip to this after work and just stay over in Aberdeen but I have an ill wee boy to get home to (little shit!)

Midfield will be crucial tonight, other teams fans will have to get used to the fact that we see this as out strongest area of our squad and will crow about them until they are found out or prove everyone wrong.

Players like Harkins, Thomson and McGowan get slated on here by others because of their previous clubs and spells elsewhere. The fact is they are turning out good performances for us and work well as a unit. Then you have players like David goodwillie who are coveted because they had 1 good season 2 or 3 years ago despite doing nothing since?

Killie fans slated Harkins in the build up to our match and he absolutely dominated them that game. I only hope all the SPL managers are as dismissive of our players.

Are you confident the game will be on ? I know the trains were off and the weathers been pretty gash 'oop north'.

I'm looking forward to the game, not with much confidence but it will give us another game for the team to gel, there were weaknesses against Killie, especially in the first half but we were better in the second so hopefully a bit more game time against SPL opposition will help. I'd be more than happy with a point at the moment and keep a bit of momentum.

Aye the game will be on. Pitch might be a wee bit sodden but there'll be no danger of the match being off*. Any rain is forecast for much later in the day and the pitch is normally quite good at draining off.

I'm not getting carried away after Hamilton. We played well but our goals, especially the first, came from defensive howlers. We did create some good chances in the second half but only as Hamilton were stretched. We were very slow at getting forward so I'd like to see us up the tempo a bit, especially at home, and try and take control of the game more.

*Famous last words.

Deary me, the league is over 38 games that decides who is the best teams not one visit to Inverness and one visit to Dens and going by your assessment of players you have been away from the top division too long.

Last season we had the 4th best defence in the Premiership. Only Celtic, Aberdeen and St. Johnstone were better, I'd be fuckin' amazed if Dundee can concede less than 44 goals and finish 4th best in that department in their first season back. :huh:

There's no arrogance just a knowledge of how it is in this league and from what I have read over the last few days from many Dundee fans they have a staggering naivety towards what faces them and its a long, long season. At least you have a decent manager who doesn't underestimate the task in hand and I'm sure the players are more firmly grounded than the support.

I should probably reiterate all this top 6 pish is doing my head in as well. Id bite your hand off for 10th this year.

I concede it may come across as naivety but it's more optimism with our support at the minute. We may be slightly blinded to some realitys but if you had sat through last season as a Dundee fan then seen what we are like now you would be delighted as well. We'll find our natural place after a few games wherever that might be.

Re my comment about comparing the 2 teams, I meant more on a head to head basis as opposed to overall better team. For example Motherwell finished above Utd last year but I'm pretty sure Utd had the better of them in the head to heads? I'm making no bold claims that Dundee will finish above caley or anything like that. Was more a response to the dismissive "Dundee are pish lolz" banter that came before my post.

I realised after typing it all out and tried to adapt it from "your" to caley where I could. Was I f**k deleting it all!

In fairness boredomguy follows Dundee threads around like a bad smell so I shouldn't really be feeding the troll.

Dundee fans knowledge of caley players and the converse won't be as up to speed due to the lack of meetings between the 2 in recent years.

Would be good to generate some football discussion and debate as opposed to the raft of point scoring tedium that preceded my post.

In amongst the mentions of Thomson, McGowan and Harkins we've not even talked about ferry who will surprise a few people this year, he's a very effective player.

The proof of the pudding will be tonight. I stand by my assertions that a point is a great result but I'm hoping for, rather than expecting that outcome. From what caley fans say they like to keep the ball and spread it around so that should hopefully make for a good game.

I work in Aberdeen so was going to nip to this after work and just stay over in Aberdeen but I have an ill wee boy to get home to (little shit!)

Midfield will be crucial tonight, other teams fans will have to get used to the fact that we see this as out strongest area of our squad and will crow about them until they are found out or prove everyone wrong.

Players like Harkins, Thomson and McGowan get slated on here by others because of their previous clubs and spells elsewhere. The fact is they are turning out good performances for us and work well as a unit. Then you have players like David goodwillie who are coveted because they had 1 good season 2 or 3 years ago despite doing nothing since?

Killie fans slated Harkins in the build up to our match and he absolutely dominated them that game. I only hope all the SPL managers are as dismissive of our players.

Problem for you is that our players will be quite used to most of yours and their strengths and weaknesses. If I was to have a concern about tonight it would be how Harkins plays whether he is in the game or not because we can go to sleep at the back and after an hour of barely being in the game Harkins is very capable of suddenly waking up and bang and we lose a goal. In Draper and Tansey we have two of the most imposing midfielders in the league and your midfield will do good not to wilt.

When did Goodwillie play for County?

I don't think Kilmarnock are typical of the standard in the league, they look a poor side, but when did the Killie fans manage their club?.

Also its not the SPL anymore its the Premiership, jeez....insulated or what

Which makes your claims even more ludicrous.

Aye the game will be one. Pitch might be a wee bit sodden but there'll be no danger of the match being off*. Any rain is forecast for much later in the day and the pitch is normally quite good at draining off.

I'm not getting carried away after Hamilton. We played well but our goals, especially the first, came from defensive howlers. We did create some good chances in the second half but only as Hamilton were stretched. We were very slow at getting forward so I'd like to see us up the tempo a bit, especially at home, and try and take control of the game more.

*Famous last words.

Thanks for the reply, I thought I was being over cautious because I haven't seen anything saying it might be off but you can't beat local knowledge. We're setting off at 15 o'clock so don't want to get all the way up to Inversneckie to have to turn round and head home.

Its still too early to predict how we'll do specifically but as a lot of us have said, I'll settle on 10th come next May. If we build on the second half against Killie I'll be happy enough, we look like we're trying to play decent football so that's got to be a plus, it was painful going to watch us last season under Brown, even when we were winning, I don't think it will be a problem this season.

Problem for you is that our players will be quite used to most of yours and their strengths and weaknesses. If I was to have a concern about tonight it would be how Harkins plays whether he is in the game or not because we can go to sleep at the back and after an hour of barely being in the game Harkins is very capable of suddenly waking up and bang and we lose a goal. In Draper and Tansey we have two of the most imposing midfielders in the league and your midfield will do good not to wilt.

I don't think Kilmarnock are typical of the standard in the league, they look a poor side, but when did the Killie fans manage their club?.

It is the SPL, same league, expanded with different company running it.

I should probably reiterate all this top 6 pish is doing my head in as well. Id bite your hand off for 10th this year.

I concede it may come across as naivety but it's more optimism with our support at the minute. We may be slightly blinded to some realitys but if you had sat through last season as a Dundee fan then seen what we are like now you would be delighted as well. We'll find our natural place after a few games wherever that might be.

Re my comment about comparing the 2 teams, I meant more on a head to head basis as opposed to overall better team. For example Motherwell finished above Utd last year but I'm pretty sure Utd had the better of them in the head to heads? I'm making no bold claims that Dundee will finish above caley or anything like that. Was more a response to the dismissive "Dundee are pish lolz" banter that came before my post.

If you read the thread the bantz has been going back and fore, not one way.

If anything I hope this carries onto tonights game and we might might just have a good atmosphere and pish ripping songs can be flung back and fore. Problem is with our ground the main group that do the singing and make most of the noise for us go into the North Stand and inbetween we have the Main Stand which house the sweetie rustlers who only seem to get noised up when the expectations of how the should home team perform falls short. So very likely if the wind is up you won't hear the home fans and we won't hear you very well either.

At last football debate! I'll ignore the premiership point scoring crap as you made a few decent points!

Your midfield is quite imposing and I believe quite firm in the tackle. We have just the players to draw niggly fouls from these players and it will be interesting to see which wins out. Conditions may hamper our usual style if play tonight and if the ball ends up off the deck all the time it's a no contest!

It's nice to see someone recognise the threat Harkins can be. He does seem to play well for us as and is at it more often than not but his performance will be crucial for us.

My only exception is I'm not sure who said goodie played for county? I certainly didn't, I said he was coveted (not many teams wouldn't have signed him) but, in my admittedly slightly biased opinion, he's not the player he was. Absolute stick on to score against us mind ;)

:unsure2:

If you read the thread the bantz has been going back and fore, not one way.

If anything I hope this carries onto tonights game and we might might just have a good atmosphere and pish ripping songs can be flung back and fore. Problem is with our ground the main group that do the singing and make most of the noise for us go into the North Stand and inbetween we have the Main Stand which house the sweetie rustlers who only seem to get noised up when the expectations of how the should home team perform falls short. So very likely if the wind is up you won't hear the home fans and we won't hear you very well either.

Again I didn't say it was just caley fans engaging in the car crash, happily admit we have some roasters and WUMs who love to dive in with both feet. My comment was aimed at both.

BigAl024, on 13 Aug 2014 - 07:53, said:

Only when you post on it.

Zing! You're so witty!

RandomGuy., on 13 Aug 2014 - 08:03, said:

This is the unfounded arrogance I was on about in other threads. Some fans seem to genuinely believe Willie Dyer is a similar standard to Graeme Shinnie

Do you just follow the Dundee fans from thread to thread and make unfounded accusations to stoke the fire? I've not seen a Dee even mention Graeme Shinnie nevermind compare his unfavourably to Dyer.

Do you think if we asked nicely we could have our match and general chat threads in the Championship forum. I much preferred the chat there...yes, including the Morton fans who I think we all secretly love.

Do you think if we asked nicely we could have our match and general chat threads in the Championship forum. I much preferred the chat there...yes, including the Morton fans who I think we all secretly love.

Careful what you wish for, come next GTF day we might just get it :P

Archived