Sportsound Watch

What’s the point in having an extended programme just to play music on you know, what’s supposed to be a football show. I couldn’t give a f**k what any of the “pundits” or any other footballers favourite tunes are.

Edited by Staggie_93

There was one week I heard macintyre previewing the post match show. 

“and LATER ON, we’ve got Ian McCall picking the music. Oooh I can’t wait to hear what he’s picked”

I just burst out laughing. Pure and utter parody. 

They think that putting on a pre-recorded Scottish football version of Desert Island Discs is what football fans are wanting in Scotland.

Unbelievable.

16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

They think that putting on a pre-recorded Scottish football version of Desert Island Discs is what football fans are wanting in Scotland.

Unbelievable.

They clearly dont have the journalistic skill or imagination along with the knowledge of the lower leagues to entertain for the last hour so just stuck a few songs on.

Nobody should really be that surprised.

Shocking that this is what's served up by the national radio station and that those involved are actually paid for their contribution.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Is there anything worse than “football people” playing music?

Who was it (in Scottish football) that they said they didn't like music? John Robertson?

6 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

They clearly dont have the journalistic skill or imagination along with the knowledge of the lower leagues to entertain for the last hour so just stuck a few songs on.

Nobody should really be that surprised.

Shocking that this is what's served up by the national radio station and that those involved are actually paid for their contribution.

That's it really. I had Five Live on in the car on Monday afternoon and the contrast could not have been greater. No 3 p.m. English Premier League kick-offs, but an OAM style show with full coverage of the lower leagues, a presenter who genuinely knew his subject, knowledgeable pundits, varied discussions on players/teams/managers/systems going right the way through from the Championship to the National League. A genuine eye-opener.

There are loads of interesting things going on in the lower leagues in Scotland as well. You'd never know it because there is neither the knowledge nor willingness amongst McIntyre and his awful gang to have a look and perhaps try to produce something even a tenth as good as the English equivalent. So basically, they'll just pay lip service for the next couple of weeks, get through it as best they can until the "real stuff" returns. With luck, there'll be some meaningless friendly involving one of the bigots next Saturday for them to get their teeth into.

OTB is no better, the pair of them droning incessantly on and on about this pathetic nonsense from a week ago. Ok, there is the argument that they are at least coming at it from the point-of-view of supporters of every other club outside of the bigoted twins i.e. who gives a f**k ?,but they'd have been far better served simply not mentioning it all and devoting some coverage to teams who were actually playing this afternoon. 

It's all just lowest common denominator stuff. Truly pathetic from start to finish. I was never a particular fan of Richard Gordon but, by God, the phrase about never missing something until it is gone has never been more appropriate.

Once again, the anchor doesn't decide the editorial direction of the show.

Replacing MacIntyre won't change anything as they'll just have someone else who is a simpering sycophantic in his place.

The question is. Was Richard Gordon leaving the Saturday show an excuse to "tabliodify" the show or was it going that way anyway and that's why he left?

Edited by Autistisches Nilpferd

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Replacing MacIntyre won't change anything as they'll just have someone else who is a simpering sycophantic in his place.

This is true but Richard Gordon didn't actively go hunting to talk about shite and generally reigned the guests in when they were talking shite.

It's a much bigger free for all now.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

This is true but Richard Gordon didn't actively go hunting to talk about shite and generally reigned the guests in when they were talking shite.

It's a much bigger free for all now.

If he was to come back to the Saturday show I'm afraid a lot of folks would be in for an unpleasant surprise.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

If he was to come back to the Saturday show I'm afraid a lot of folks would be in for an unpleasant surprise.

Perhaps but the show has been shite for a number of years, including when Gordon was host. He'd at least address my biggest issues, however. He'd ensure that we at least hear what the scores are in the lower leagues and he'd hold together OAM in a slightly better fashion.

Those two things are my biggest grumps about MacIntyre nevermind the shows general editorial direction. I've no doubt that we'd still be subjected to the Desert Island Discs pish regardless of who's hosting.

Turned on Sportsound about 14:45 expecting to get the low down on today’s games, instead they were still going on about that VAR non-penalty. What a load of nonsense. If that was in a game between any of the other teams in the SPFL it wouldn’t even make the post match report. The fact they’re still going on about it is quite pathetic.

Needless to say I switched it off. Imagine expecting a football show to cover the day’s games.

GIF by hero0fwar

They need to use the split frequencies to have one that is the current Celtic/Sevco wankfest and the other that actually focuses on Scottish football.

Won't happen of course.

33 minutes ago, STFU_Donny said:

Turned on Sportsound about 14:45 expecting to get the low down on today’s games, instead they were still going on about that VAR non-penalty. What a load of nonsense. If that was in a game between any of the other teams in the SPFL it wouldn’t even make the post match report. The fact they’re still going on about it is quite pathetic.

Needless to say I switched it off. Imagine expecting a football show to cover the day’s games.

GIF by hero0fwar

There was a worse VAR call on the same day and its only referred too to justify their talk on what happened in the game featuring their favourite teams.

On the gordon chat, lets not be nostalgic for something that wasn't good.  Yes mcintyre is worse,  but gordon was shit at his job, he was very heavily OF focused and gave free reign to the likes of chick young. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Once again, I don't think many posters fail to grasp this.

The programme is this way due to editorial decisions which included that of handing the microphone to McIntyre.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Once again, I don't think many posters fail to grasp this.

The programme is this way due to editorial decisions which included that of handing the microphone to McIntyre.

Aye but if they replaced him they'd direct said replacement to do the same.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Aye but if they replaced him they'd direct said replacement to do the same.

Yes, I know.

I suspect he's perfect for the direction those in charge wish to send the show in.

Criticising both McIntyre and his bosses is therefore valid. 

You seem to be under the impression that we're all suggesting that McIntyre is boldly and independently stamping his own editorial imprint on proceedings.  I don't think that's the case, and I don't think many others do either.