Older No voters....

Confidemus

Not having a go in any way at poor pensioners mate. I fully realise the levels of poverty for some. My comments as I have already stated, are a generalisation on the general structures of wealth distribution between the age groups and the clear unfairness that exists.

There is no doubt that those now retired or retiring in the near future have impoverished future generations. Blame that on deomgraphics by all means, however society has known of the issue for decades and has done sod all about it.

Why?

I can't give you an answer but it's not just us, the West in general is the same, the old will generally have more than the young, they've had longer to accumulate stuff, even a mortgage is a bit of a gamble, but some take it and some don't, there was of course a lot more cheap housing 'back in the day' but most council houses have been sold off with nothing to replace them. Thatcher tried to turn us all into capitalists in the 80's and a generation benefited from it by and large, the legacy is we all want to own our own homes, that's part of it but there's a load of reasons why society has changed, some good, some bad.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do become more scared of change as you get older, it seems to be the way of things so most will be voting for what they know, whether you (or I) like it doesn't matter, we'll all probably go the same way if we're lucky enough to live that long.

No you don't. I'm 54 which is Jurassic in P&B terms. I also made a big career change 6 months ago which has lead me to learn new skills and a new employment culture.

Given that my youngest is only aged 12 I reckon that I have at least one more job change ahead - even if it means working a till at a supermarket when I am 70.

There is not a strong relationship between age and the embracing of change.

No you don't. I'm 54 which is Jurassic in P&B terms. I also made a big career change 6 months ago which has lead me to learn new skills and a new employment culture.

Given that my youngest is only aged 12 I reckon that I have at least one more job change ahead - even if it means working a till at a supermarket when I am 70.

There is not a strong relationship between age and the embracing of change.

Oh well, that's that then eh ? My argument blown asunder because you have a different experience. Would you describe your situation as 'normal' for your age group ?

Oh well, that's that then eh ? My argument blown asunder because you have a different experience. Would you describe your situation as 'normal' for your age group ?

Absolutely. For a whole host of reasons. Some are economic (older parents like me; diminution of pension funds for others). Some are due to a realisation that they can go to Uni for the first time in the 50s or 60s just because they can and want to either learn for learning's sake or build a new career.

Absolutely. For a whole host of reasons. Some are economic (older parents like me; diminution of pension funds for others). Some are due to a realisation that they can go to Uni for the first time in the 50s or 60s just because they can and want to either learn for learning's sake or build a new career.

Sorry, not in my experience and I'm only 8 years behind you and have mates/acquaintences who follow a more 'traditional' lifestyle as well as some who are in a similar position to yourself. Good for you if you're enjoying life but in all honesty can you say that you're not 'more thoughtful' about your decisions than you were 30 years or so ago ? I think we stay younger longer now than in the past but at some point you 'get old' and your world shrinks, I've seen it with my own folks as well as other 'oldies' that I know, just because you've not hit that wall yet because of your personal circumstances doesn't mean you won't at some point, it seems inevitable. Sorry for the pessimism but it seems to be the way of it.

at some point you 'get old' and your world shrinks,

Again, this is utter bollocks. One of the delights of the firm that I joined 6 months ago was that, in a group of 50 people, we had 9 Commonwealth countries represented. My world is expanding and it delights me.

Again, this is utter bollocks. One of the delights of the firm that I joined 6 months ago was that, in a group of 50 people, we had 9 Commonwealth countries represented. My world is expanding and it delights me.

Aye, you're some machine !

Don't try and fucking patronise me, big chap.

I am simply saying that fear of change may not be related to age.

Don't know if it's patronising, more of a 'whatever' but your view 'flies in the face of convention' shall we say and as a trend is outwith my experience of 'oldies', for what its worth I wouldn't put 54 in that category but you seem dead set on labelling yourself as an oldie and then telling us much you're young at heart. If you followed the thread it was more baby boomers that was being discussed and I stand by by assertion that at some point (which will vary from person to person) you just 'get old'. its normal, the ageing process is mental as well as physical. lObviously I have no idea if your parents are still on the go but mine are and I've seen their world shrink, it's a bit weird but I'm just grateful that they're still there, even though they can infuriate me at times with their 'general oldiness'.

Obviously I have no idea if your parents are still on the go but mine are and I've seen their world shrink,

My auld dear will be 87 in September. When she was 70 she didn't have a grandchild. She now has 6. Three are by adoption (my sister adopted a family of 3 to her credit) and 3 are from me and my Swedish ex.

In the past 15 years she has been to London, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Lund, and Riga for various family events. Her world has expanded so much beyond her flat in Motherwell.

My auld dear will be 87 in September. When she was 70 she didn't have a grandchild. She now has 6. Three are by adoption (my sister adopted a family of 3 to her credit) and 3 are from me and my Swedish ex.

In the past 15 years she has been to London, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Lund, and Riga for various family events. Her world has expanded so much beyond her flat in Motherwell.

Wid.

There is implicit ageism here just because one side can accept that an age bracket leans to the other preference.

I suspect they wouldn't be doing it if they leaned the other way.

Some Yes supporters did the same over 16/17 year old voters - until surveys showed (surprisingly) that they were more likely to vote No if they voted.

There is implicit ageism here just because one side can accept that an age bracket leans to the other preference.

I suspect they wouldn't be doing it if they leaned the other way.

Some Yes supporters did the same over 16/17 year old voters - until surveys showed (surprisingly) that they were more likely to vote No if they voted.

Eh!! Nah. I'm sorry but that is complete nonsense.

This is a discussion thread about older no voters.Its a valid topic for discussion. As are discussions on why a particular voting preponderance may exist.

I think it would be hard to have a dicussion on the subject without referencing the fact that the "old":

a) are old

b) according to polls overwhelmingly vote no.

Good for your mum for (ironically I suppose) living the life of a 'bodyform advert'. As a rule though, you tend to slow down as you age, I'm not saying for one second that there's anything wrong with that, or getting old in general, you seem to be taking umbrage at me saying that OAP's tend to behave and think differently to the young.

Good for your mum for (ironically I suppose) living the life of a 'bodyform advert'. As a rule though, you tend to slow down as you age, I'm not saying for one second that there's anything wrong with that, or getting old in general, you seem to be taking umbrage at me saying that OAP's tend to behave and think differently to the young.

One of the issues with the old is technology. There's no secret that the young find it easier to adjust to amendments in the workplace in terms of IT software.

One of the issues with the old is technology. There's no secret that the young find it easier to adjust to amendments in the workplace in terms of IT software.

How old is Anthony C Pick?

Archived