Decent cheap tablet...?

Cant recommend the Nexus 7 highly enough. Upgraded to Android 5 which is really nice, great battery life and nice and responsive :)

Thanks, if it was up to me I'd be looking at something like this. But it'll cost about $300 and that's outside Santa's budget! ;)

Can you not pick up an older generation one cheap? Thats what I got

Yeah might do that. She'd noticed a Samsung Tab 3 Lite which is in her price bracket. Doesn't get tremendous reviews but it would be adequate for her purposes.

On the plus side, if she gets a tablet for Christmas it means I can push the budget for my new PC up to about a grand (AUD)!

My wife has the original Nexus 7 and its still a great wee tablet. Its been used every day since she got it and the grandkids play with it when they are around. Reliability has been exemplary and there is not even been much discernible drop off in battery life. I would recommend it if you can still buy them, especially for a nine year old.

One wee thing is that I have not seen the Android Lollipop system upgrade appear although I have had it for my Nexus 4 phone. Does anyone know if it is coming to the original Nexus 7 or not?

I have the original Nexus 7 as well, the 32Gb version.

Absolutely love it, although my work recently bought me an iPad so I've been tinkering about with that more and more :D

My wife has the original Nexus 7 and its still a great wee tablet. Its been used every day since she got it and the grandkids play with it when they are around. Reliability has been exemplary and there is not even been much discernible drop off in battery life. I would recommend it if you can still buy them, especially for a nine year old.

One wee thing is that I have not seen the Android Lollipop system upgrade appear although I have had it for my Nexus 4 phone. Does anyone know if it is coming to the original Nexus 7 or not?

It should do. The Nexus models all use stock android, so theres no manufacturer or carrier crap to add on the top. I've got it on mine but Im not entirely sure if I have the original version, it might be the one after

I bought 1 of these for my daughter last year but the battery doesn't seem to last long - 2 days normally between each charge which is sending the lecky meter spinning round.

Are we doing something wrong or should I check something that's been downloaded? It's not as if it's used constantly.

Go to settings then battery, you can see what is using up your battery life, usually screen brightness is the culprit.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived