St Johnstone vs Dundee - 13/09/14

Has the wealth of these Americans ever actualy been revealed?

Still find it strange to see a club that was in adminstration a few years back now signing boys like Thomson, McPake and McGowan. None of them will playing for peanuts.

Hope the sums have been done properly this time.

^ Bitter over Saturday IMO.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still find it strange to see a club that was in adminstration a few years back now signing boys like Thomson, McPake and McGowan. None of them will playing for peanuts.

When this pish is trotted out you know the fans are hurting.

Embarrassing stuff from the saintees in the wake of this match with very few exceptions despite a very patronising build up.

I though he was a solid player with us. A few folk thought he would be the weak link on sat but it didn't work out that way!

He's been on form since we had to play him at LB, 2 seasons ago when we were in the SPL I thought he was found out big style but credit where its due, he's a better player this time round. He still has gaps in his game but considering I was kacking it about him as a LB he's been pretty solid so far.

We all do but its a bit bizarre to bring it up now, I can take a guess at your motives though :lol:

We all do but its a bit bizarre to bring it up now, I can take a guess at your motives though :lol:

Im honestly not bitter. You were the better team on Saturday and deserved your win.

Im just genuinely interested to know what the wealth of the Americans in charge of your club is?

Its just a surprise to see a Scottish club sign so many new players in such a short time, especially considering some of them will be on a decent wage. You have clubs like Dundee United and Saints plaeding poverty, despite being successful in recent seasons and selling players for decent money, yet there dosent seem to be that issue at Dundee.

Im honestly not bitter. You were the better team on Saturday and deserved your win.

Im just genuinely interested to know what the wealth of the Americans in charge of your club is?

Its just a surprise to see a Scottish club sign so many new players in such a short time, especially considering some of them will be on a decent wage. You have clubs like Dundee United and Saints plaeding poverty, despite being successful in recent seasons and selling players for decent money, yet there dosent seem to be that issue at Dundee.

The Americans are pretty wealthy and whilst giving Hartley a decent budget, they've been more focused on the youth side of things and helping us get new facilities for training etc.

We've had a large turnover, we've released 13 players and brought in 15. We're one of the biggest supported clubs in the league, we're now getting TV money that we previously didn't get and whilst you might think the players we have signed may be on massive wages, the facts probably point to the fact that they aren't. McPake, an injury prone CH released from Hibs, McGowan released from St Mirren, Harkins likewise.

There will be a few on high wages but I highly doubt we're exceeding our budget.

The Americans are pretty wealthy and whilst giving Hartley a decent budget, they've been more focused on the youth side of things and helping us get new facilities for training etc.

We've had a large turnover, we've released 13 players and brought in 15. We're one of the biggest supported clubs in the league, we're now getting TV money that we previously didn't get and whilst you might think the players we have signed may be on massive wages, the facts probably point to the fact that they aren't. McPake, an injury prone CH released from Hibs, McGowan released from St Mirren, Harkins likewise.

There will be a few on high wages but I highly doubt we're exceeding our budget.

Ok, thanks.

Whats the end game for the Americans then? Surely, they are not just putting all this money in out of the goodness of their own heart. Are they out to build Dundee up, then try and sell for a profit? Risky game that, especially considering the lack of finance in Scottish Football at the moment. If not, what are they involved for?

My understanding is that PH had a decent wage budget which he's pretty much used. The Board are paying a few wages out of their own pockets but its not just the Yanks, Bill Colvin has been quite a benevolent Chairman too. While ideally I wouldn't want to be in the position of the Board paying wages I would doubt that we're the only club in this position. I don't know if we've got anyone who's getting paid 2K a week which is still a pretty hefty wage but as Ludo said, we shifted quite a few on in the summer.

Without having a go, there's a few clubs cutting around this division that you could look at and wonder how they can afford the players they have, St. J being one of them. I know they are a very well run club and I'm not trying to imply anything but while we've been in admin (twice to our shame) we have paid the (frankly pathetic) 6p in the pound to our creditors and cleared our 'football debt' and we've moved on. The timing of your interest does smack of suspicion or sour grapes though.

Ok, thanks.

Whats the end game for the Americans then? Surely, they are not just putting all this money in out of the goodness of their own heart. Are they out to build Dundee up, then try and sell for a profit? Risky game that, especially considering the lack of finance in Scottish Football at the moment. If not, what are they involved for?

Link.

Being a Dundee supporter, I certainly don't fully trust them but I however, have trust in Bill Colvin who is our Chairman and I believe he's the most savvy person at the club and would not allow the Americans to pull a fast one. He certainly didn't allow Scot Gardiner to do so. :lol:

Ok, thanks.

I agree with you, I'm not too sure where they think they'll make a fortune from in Scottish football, their investment was fairly small in the grand scheme of things and a fair chunk of it was effectively wages for 'their' man Nelms who is running the club now. If we sell (for example) Craig Wighton for a healthy return they will more than make their money and I think they're in it for the medium to long term but who knows. Bill Colvin is also in the mix and his Missus is a big Dee so that angle is easier to see and I can see him being around for a while and I don't think its all about the cash, again we'll see, we've moved from a fairly poorly but honestly run 'fan owned' club to a slicker operation but one that is obviously now a proper business again so if the Yanks get bored they can sell on to whoever.

He's been on form since we had to play him at LB, 2 seasons ago when we were in the SPL I thought he was found out big style but credit where its due, he's a better player this time round. He still has gaps in his game but considering I was kacking it about him as a LB he's been pretty solid so far.

He was badly found out with us in the SPL when we first came up as well. He was 25 then and in his third season at Saints so it wasn't like he was lacking experience. He also didn't fare too well with Dundee the first time up.

To then see him playing so solidly out of position on Saturday was a bit of a surprise! I really though O'Halloran would hurt Dundee more down that side. That said, part of the problem was O'Halloran's poor decision making and passing which meant Dundee were maybe less exposed than they otherwise could have been.

Surprised to see Irvine doing so well this time - fair play to him. I liked him during his two seasons in Division One with us but he didn't handle the step up and was rightly replaced with Dave Mackay.

Has his crossing improved at all BTW? One of the big reasons he went right downhill was that his final ball was inexcusably bad far too often. You could pretty much rely on him crossing from 30 yards out and floating it straight out for a goalkick.

He was badly found out with us in the SPL when we first came up as well. He was 25 then and in his third season at Saints so it wasn't like he was lacking experience. He also didn't fare too well with Dundee the first time up.

To then see him playing so solidly out of position on Saturday was a bit of a surprise! I really though O'Halloran would hurt Dundee more down that side. That said, part of the problem was O'Halloran's poor decision making and passing which meant Dundee were maybe less exposed than they otherwise could have been.

Surprised to see Irvine doing so well this time - fair play to him. I liked him during his two seasons in Division One with us but he didn't handle the step up and was rightly replaced with Dave Mackay.

Has his crossing improved at all BTW? One of the big reasons he went right downhill was that his final ball was inexcusably bad far too often. You could pretty much rely on him crossing from 30 yards out and floating it straight out for a goalkick.

His distribution from right back 95% of the time was just a hopeful hook up the right wing, now that he's moved to left back he still obviously favours his right foot so tends to play it inside on the deck a lot more often, which suits our style of play more. His crossing still leaves a lot to be desired though.

His distribution from right back 95% of the time was just a hopeful hook up the right wing, now that he's moved to left back he still obviously favours his right foot so tends to play it inside on the deck a lot more often, which suits our style of play more. His crossing still leaves a lot to be desired though.

Aye, his distribution can be woeful and there was a spell last season when the fans were on his back and he was trying too hard which seemed to make him even worse. He's maybe a confidence player and PH is giving him the right chuck ups, whatever it is he's playing a lot better than I've seen him since his first season with us.

Link.

Being a Dundee supporter, I certainly don't fully trust them but I however, have trust in Bill Colvin who is our Chairman and I believe he's the most savvy person at the club and would not allow the Americans to pull a fast one. He certainly didn't allow Scot Gardiner to do so. :lol:

Would that be the same Bill Colvin who was part of the board that pocketed 36 million from shares in Southern cross before it all went wrong?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/jun/01/rise-and-fall-of-southern-cross

I agree with you, I'm not too sure where they think they'll make a fortune from in Scottish football, their investment was fairly small in the grand scheme of things and a fair chunk of it was effectively wages for 'their' man Nelms who is running the club now. If we sell (for example) Craig Wighton for a healthy return they will more than make their money and I think they're in it for the medium to long term but who knows. Bill Colvin is also in the mix and his Missus is a big Dee so that angle is easier to see and I can see him being around for a while and I don't think its all about the cash, again we'll see, we've moved from a fairly poorly but honestly run 'fan owned' club to a slicker operation but one that is obviously now a proper business again so if the Yanks get bored they can sell on to whoever.

No one makes any money from Scottish football

If a fan wants to invest his cash to see his team progress to the next level they do it because its their team and not for the return.

Would that be the same Bill Colvin who was part of the board that pocketed 36 million from shares in Southern cross before it all went wrong?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/jun/01/rise-and-fall-of-southern-cross

Yes, the same Bill Colvin. I don't know him personally but I've only ever heard good things about him from people who have met him. I'm not going to defend the Southern Cross thing because I don't know enough about it but he's not the only guy who's screwed people over only to go on and be a 'good guy'.

No one makes any money from Scottish football

If a fan wants to invest his cash to see his team progress to the next level they do it because its their team and not for the return.

I think as a rule you're probably right but our near neighbours are doing a pretty decent job of it, they've cleared their debt and I suppose if they sell a couple of players down south then the bank balance should be pretty healthy.

Archived