St Johnstone vs Dundee - 13/09/14

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't recall seeing one post saying anything positive about Morgan. You've just made that up.

No change there then.

RandomGuy has a history of making things up, yet when questioned about it he runs for the hills.

w**k.

No change there then.

RandomGuy has a history of making things up, yet when questioned about it he runs for the hills.

w**k.

:lol: Thats why I responded to two posts about it aye?

...I like the 4-2-3-1 version of it, but yesterday we seemed to play a 4-1-4-1, although Im not sure it was actually the wrong system, just a poor performance.

It took me ages to work out the formation Saints were playing, or meant to be playing. At first I thought I was being a bit dim not working it out, but I eventually decided that Saints were struggling to maintain a coherent shape. Under Hartley Dundee are infinitely better organised than we used to be and it's easy to see how Hartley has set them up. Our midfield managed to impose themselves on the game and Saints were always trying to react to that.

RandomGuy., on 14 Sept 2014 - 10:59, said:

WAPs quite fun just now, we've suddenly turned on the 4-5-1 and apparently Adam Morgan is the answer to all our problems :lol:

Seen that. If used effectively, as has been under us, a system with one up top can be infinitely more attacking than a formation with 2 strikers. Some fans just can't accept that though. I'd imagine we Dundee fans probably had a similar outlook before Hartley took over.

As an aside, just remembered Frazer Wrights wild elbow swing. Could easily have been given an early bath for that. As it was Collum just told him to calm down but it was amusing to see how utterly rattled Dundee had got Wright and Dave Mackay who were absolutely seething for the majority of the second half. Surprising considering one is the captain and the other is generally an expert at winding the opposition up and remaining calm himself.

It took me ages to work out the formation Saints were playing, or meant to be playing. At first I thought I was being a bit dim not working it out, but I eventually decided that Saints were struggling to maintain a coherent shape. Under Hartley Dundee are infinitely better organised than we used to be and it's easy to see how Hartley has set them up. Our midfield managed to impose themselves on the game and Saints were always trying to react to that.

It was the same we played against Aberdeen this season to me. Brown sitting in front of the back four with Millar and McDonald playing slightly head of him, with Wotherspoon and O'Halloran on the flanks. Against Aberdeen we dominated the match and completely negated Pawlett, so its understandable why we went for it. Just a poor performance by the midfielders led to a poor start and we never recovered from that.

It was a similar performance to our first against United last season in truth, no cohesion and the opposition take their chances. Hopefully we can respnd in the same way we did then.

Seen that. If used effectively, as has been under us, a system with one up top can be infinitely more attacking than a formation with 2 strikers. Some fans just can't accept that though. I'd imagine we Dundee fans probably had a similar outlook before Hartley took over.

As an aside, just remembered Frazer Wrights wild elbow swing. Could easily have been given an early bath for that. As it was Collum just told him to calm down but it was amusing to see how utterly rattled Dundee had got Wright and Dave Mackay who were absolutely seething for the majority of the second half. Surprising considering one is the captain and the other is generally an expert at winding the opposition up and remaining calm himself.

We've played with one up top for years now, apart from spells last season when we had no choice to play May and MacLean together. Seems a massive mind blank from some fans that its not a negative formation.

And Mackay and Wright hate losing, its that simple really, I'd be worried if they weren't getting frustrated

It was a similar performance to our first against United last season in truth, no cohesion and the opposition take their chances. Hopefully we can respnd in the same way we did then.

Are you talking about the 4-0 game against United last season? Yesterday was absolutely nothing like that game. We created a fair number of chances in the United game and looked threatening at various points.

The performance yesterday was far more depressing than that one.

Are you talking about the 4-0 game against United last season? Yesterday was absolutely nothing like that game. We created a fair number of chances in the United game and looked threatening at various points.

The performance yesterday was far more depressing than that one.

Where did I make the singlest fucking mention of chances? The overall play was disjointed for spells, as it was back then, and we struggled in the midfield. We'd have looked vaguely threatening yesterday if any of the many crosses we put in were anywhere near decent

:lol: Thats why I responded to two posts about it aye?

You made a statement a few weeks back on WAP saying Saints had been given warnings about the conduct of our fans from UEFA, however when others took you to task over that statement the silence was deafening.

You made a statement a few weeks back on WAP saying Saints had been given warnings about the conduct of our fans from UEFA, however when others took you to task over that statement the silence was deafening.

I thought I had replied, tbh. Anyway I remember us getting a warning before and after the Luzern game about pitch invasions. I can't find any link though, so we'll have to put that down in the "RG talking shite" file since it won't be dropped until its put there.

Archived