The Arbroath Thread

hey 1320 really thought you had more about you than to come out with a statement like that.

Do you do anything but fucking moan? We're 2nd in the league, the team is playing brilliantly together and we have a very strong bench to back up the starting 11. It's only halfway through the season and we've got a really good shot at winning the league. Try to look at the positives for once ffs.

Happy new year and mon eh Lichties!

In all seriousness, I like Jimmy Scott but he was poor in the month prior to getting injured. When he comes back, I expect him to have to earn his place, and I really don't think we can be dropping Prunty or Doris after the last few months, Doris especially has been absolutely outstanding and he has to be our number one striker playing every week for me. To have options like Skelly, Jimmy Scott and Prunty to play alongside him is great competition and if things aren't working after an hour we have options to switch it up which is great to have. It's the same on the wings with Linn, Skelly and Omar all vying for 2 places and in the centre of the park with Malin and Jimmy Scott ready to come in if we need to change it up.

We do have a really strong squad at this point, and I'd simply be looking to add a couple and move a couple on in January. A lot is said about the defence, but ultimately we've conceded the least amount of goals in the league. I do think outside of Gold - Ricky - Hammy - Suker/ Philips we lack a wee bit and we could look to make an addition to give us good backup and make a real challenge for a starting place.

It all depends who moves on, Thomson, Malin and Callaghan you would imagine will be looking elsewhere as they have had no real opportunities, if that happens we would need an extra midfielder.

We definitely need a another defender, possibly another right back / right centre back that would allow Dunlop to leave who has proved short of the mark.

regarding Jimmy Scott, I wouldn't imagine he will start on Monday but great to have him back. I may be in the minority but I actually don't think prunty has been as good as everyone else thinks over the past few games so he has to do more to keep the jersey, Doris has been terrific 

Prunty isn't going anywhere.   There was a slight bit of the quote that wasn't printed / featured / out of sequence.  If a manager talks or answers questions for 4 or 5 minutes and you only have a certain amount of words, it happens. 

DC was talking about Prunty had given his all <against Cowdenbeath> and was tired and it was the reason behind his substitution.  

It was not in reference to anyone leaving the club.  

Edited by Smokie_Bacon_crisps

Don't want to wish the next few days away but I can't wait til the mo game, hopefully the wind stays down and we continue our good run, although it's never easy against them and they seem to raise their game, 

Great news skelly has signed on, and Sukar gives us depth I guess, I'm guessing Mutch won't get kept on, how much loans does that leave us with? 

No way I would let prunty leave, his desire he shows and passion when we score is 2nd to none, him and Doris should continue and jimmy should have to earn his place back, 

I wouldn't be over fussed if Thompson, Dunlop and calllaghan were moved on, and can even add Hester to that, can't imagine there will be that much players available though so might have to be the loan market, 

Bryan Hodge signed

Thinking as depth. Released by Stirling is a negative but still ok with the signing

When Hodge was hooked at Half Time in the 2-2 game against yourselves, it was obvious that he just wasn't fancied by Mackay. Colquhoun was brought in afterwards and he and Beith became the Midfield pairing.

You shouldn't read too much of Hodge being released from us. In a 4-2-3-1 formation, (which Stuart McLaren favoured.....and I think Dick Campbell does as well, but I might be wrong) Hodge played well just sitting in front of the back four, but he did appear to struggle in Mackay's preferred 4-3-3.

Although Bryan Hodge didn't do anything of note to stand out, he didn't really do anything wrong either and was probably surplus to requirement due to not fitting in with formations rather than his actual ability.

To win the ball and pass it, he's good, possibly the best in the league, but you'll never get any more than that out of him. If that's what you are missing in the middle of the park, then Hodge is your man, if not, then he's been brought in to cover.

I wish him well though, under McLaren I liked him and felt he was one of the few who regularly had pass marks.