The Arbroath Thread

You lot are top, of course it is!!!

Haha to be fair we've been up and around the top of leagues quite a lot the last 8 years. Sheerin winning L2, 2nd in L1... Moore running away with L2.... for 2/3rds a season, DC winning L2, 3rd most of last season with him in L1 and now top of L1 this season so far.

Before that there was the season we finished 2nd down in Berwick when they won L2, a few promotion play offs and then obviously way back there were the Championship years which were preceded by finishing 2nd to Partick in L1.

Been more good than bad in recent years I would say, few horror shows in there like every club mind you.

Somebody asked a couple of weeks ago if this was our best start to a season. As far as I can see our previous best unbeaten start to a season was 1989/90 when we went 9 games unbeaten from the start. So we’ve bettered that.
Our best run in the league without defeat is 15 games. We did that in 2000/01.
We also went 15 games without defeat in 1952/53 then lost 7 of our next 8 games.

In 1967/68 we won 9 games in a row and had the equivalent of 41 pts from the first 17 games.

Our best points total from the start of a season (assuming 3 Pts for a win) is
27 from the first ten games in 2014/15 then we lost the next 2 so after 11 games we’ve equalled that. 27 is also the best from 12 games from the same season. That was the year we had a meltdown in the second half of the season.
Hopefully we can better that 12 game points total this weekend.

More than happy to be corrected on the Hester timeline here, but it seems to have been as follows to me:

With the loan window shutting at end of September, Kane is not allowed to join Elgin on loan as it's said we want to keep him at the club due to his good showings in pre season/ the minutes he'd been given in cup to date. Fans are told at Q&A that Kane will be staying and will play a part.

Less than a week after fans at Q&A are told the above, Kane is loaned out to East Kilbride, a loan which goes against everything that'd been said up to that point, and a loan which obviously wouldn't work for the player in terms of travel for training etc. I presume the reason East Kilbride were chosen was because they inquired and it was possible to loan him there as loan window doesn't include clubs outside the SPFL.

Kane plays one game off the bench for EK, a 20 minute cameo, before the loan is ended about a week after it was announced. Kane comes back to Gayfield and is on the bench for the cup game against Edinburgh City. The following week, is he loaned out to Montrose Roselea in the North Region Superleague, a division which around the same standard as the second tier east region, even now after 20 odd clubs have moved to EoS.

To go from potentially going to Elgin for 3/4 months and getting some game time in League 2, which could have helped him as a player and allowed him to prove himself, he's now at Montrose Roselea until January where, frankly, I couldn't give a f**k if he scores 5 goals a game as it's an absolute irrelevance in terms of his ability to play League One, or even League Two, football. It seems very strange to me that he wasn't given the opportunity to prove himself in the SPFL, and has been shipped off to a division where he can't prove anything.

I must be missing something, because it seems utterly bizarre to say you want to keep a player and give him game time with ourselves, to less than a week later ship him out on a loan that clearly don't work for him weeks after rejecting a loan which would have worked for him, to then finally 3 weeks or so after not allowing him to play in League Two we allow him to play in North Region Superleague.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think Kane should have stayed at Gayfield as I dont think he's needed by us (we have 3 far superior players in that position in McKenna, Wallace and Doris) and I feel he needs to play games in the SPFL to have any chance of making it as a part time player in the league setup, so it's not like I particularly care in terms of our current squad/ how it affects the us but it seems like he had a very good opportunity to go to Elgin and it seems very strange that we didn't give him that opportunity, didn't give him an opportunity to play with ourselves, put him out on a loan that was never going to work logistically to then finally end up with him playing at a level which doesn't benefit him or the club and will only benefit Roselea.

13 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

More than happy to be corrected on the Hester timeline here, but it seems to have been as follows to me:

With the loan window shutting at end of September, Kane is not allowed to join Elgin on loan as it's said we want to keep him at the club due to his good showings in pre season/ the minutes he'd been given in cup to date. Fans are told at Q&A that Kane will be staying and will play a part.

Less than a week after fans at Q&A are told the above, Kane is loaned out to East Kilbride, a loan which goes against everything that'd been said up to that point, and a loan which obviously wouldn't work for the player in terms of travel for training etc. I presume the reason East Kilbride were chosen was because they inquired and it was possible to loan him there as loan window doesn't include clubs outside the SPFL.

Kane plays one game off the bench for EK, a 20 minute cameo, before the loan is ended about a week after it was announced. Kane comes back to Gayfield and is on the bench for the cup game against Edinburgh City. The following week, is he loaned out to Montrose Roselea in the North Region Superleague, a division which around the same standard as the second tier east region, even now after 20 odd clubs have moved to EoS.

To go from potentially going to Elgin for 3/4 months and getting some game time in League 2, which could have helped him as a player and allowed him to prove himself, he's now at Montrose Roselea until January where, frankly, I couldn't give a f**k if he scores 5 goals a game as it's an absolute irrelevance in terms of his ability to play League One, or even League Two, football. It seems very strange to me that he wasn't given the opportunity to prove himself in the SPFL, and has been shipped off to a division where he can't prove anything.

I must be missing something, because it seems utterly bizarre to say you want to keep a player and give him game time with ourselves, to less than a week later ship him out on a loan that clearly don't work for him weeks after rejecting a loan which would have worked for him, to then finally 3 weeks or so after not allowing him to play in League Two we allow him to play in North Region Superleague.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think Kane should have stayed at Gayfield as I dont think he's needed by us (we have 3 far superior players in that position in McKenna, Wallace and Doris) and I feel he needs to play games in the SPFL to have any chance of making it as a part time player in the league setup, so it's not like I particularly care in terms of our current squad/ how it affects the us but it seems like he had a very good opportunity to go to Elgin and it seems very strange that we didn't give him that opportunity, didn't give him an opportunity to play with ourselves, put him out on a loan that was never going to work logistically to then finally end up with him playing at a level which doesn't benefit him or the club and will only benefit Roselea.

I dont think its for football reasons these moves havent materialised i believe its more work related and to be fair hes probably right to put his priority with work never mind im sure hell end up at the MO eventually:lol:

I believe it was Kane who asked to go on loan to get game time.   The move to East Kilbride which were managed by Brian Kerr and Stuart Malcolm (at the time) and challenging at the top of the Lowland League would have been a good one, but I think the commute took much longer than anyone expected.  Kane isn't eligible to play for Arbroath until the transfer window reopens.   Kane was training with the team (as he does every week) against Edinburgh City but wasn't on the bench.  https://www.skysports.com/football/arbroath-vs-edinburgh/teams/402141 

He is definitely better than the league is now playing on-loan in but I'm sure scoring goals and getting game time is good for his confidence.

On 11/3/2018 at 10:17, SimonLichtie said:

On 11/4/2018 at 15:55, Smokie_Bacon_crisps said:

I believe it was Kane who asked to go on loan to get game time.   The move to East Kilbride which were managed by Brian Kerr and Stuart Malcolm (at the time) and challenging at the top of the Lowland League would have been a good one, but I think the commute took much longer than anyone expected.  Kane isn't eligible to play for Arbroath until the transfer window reopens.   Kane was training with the team (as he does every week) against Edinburgh City but wasn't on the bench.  https://www.skysports.com/football/arbroath-vs-edinburgh/teams/402141 

He is definitely better than the league is now playing on-loan in but I'm sure scoring goals and getting game time is good for his confidence.

Spot on.

I will say it again Kane has something to offer but at this moment in time it would only be from the bench, there is no doubt Wallace/McKenna/Doris would all start before Kane but his goals per minutes playing for us is excellent and as was proved against DUFC he can come on and turn games, i for one hope he stays part of our squad.

I think it’s went a bit unnoticed but what an addition Darren Jameson has been. Seems to claim everything in the air. Best keeper we’ve had in a good while
The addition of him and Thomson has made a big difference. A defence that's confident in their goalie seems to make a big difference. Huge improvement over Hutton.

2 hours ago, Hammerafc said:
3 hours ago, lichtie23 said:
I think it’s went a bit unnoticed but what an addition Darren Jameson has been. Seems to claim everything in the air. Best keeper we’ve had in a good while

The addition of him and Thomson has made a big difference. A defence that's confident in their goalie seems to make a big difference. Huge improvement over Hutton.

Hutton appears to have been Airdrie's best player so far this season maybe the Arbroath fans jitterishness about him affected him.