The Arbroath Thread

On 02/08/2023 at 14:46, SimonLichtie said:

Good news! We now have an online archive containing our entire history! The archive is now fully live and can be found here; Arbroath Archive. Below gives a rough idea of what we've got on there:

·  A record of every game we've played from 1878 until present day, with over 6400 total games in total, with game date (teams, subs, scorers, ref etc) where known, and highlights for modern day games

·  A match report for every almost every game with thousands of old reports from the Arbroath Herald & Arbroath Guide and dozens of other sources, as well as fan reports from the old arbroathfc.org.uk website for our games in the 90s and early 00s

·  A profile for every player who has played for the club containing their full playing record for the club as well as player info, a picture where we have it and a biography

·  Our all-time player appearance records, goalscorer records and clean sheet records

·  Hundreds of pictures, programme covers, a managerial timeline, hat trick heroes and lots more!

As well as the site itself, we will be looking to keep our social media pages fairly active with regular posts on a whole host of things, such as 'Guess the Player', 'On This Day', 'Did You Know?' etc. as well as hopefully further articles/ interviews in the future.

We have a fantastic history as a football club, and I'm delighted we have our full records online for all to see and hope the social media channels will help bring some wonderful stories of players, matches etc. to you all over the coming months/ years. If anyone wants to get involved or has any material they think we should have on the site it'd be great to hear from them.

It'd be great if people we're able to share the site/ social media posts on their own online profiles to get things out there. Any and all questions/ contributions/ ideas etc. are welcomed and very much encouraged :) 

Facebook
Twitter

Superb Simon 36-0

53 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

Totally ridiculous and unfair for the whole league competition. It’s supposed to be played as 4 quarters and teams’ form can very greatly from one quarter to the next, as we know well. 

I've clearly missed something, why are we playing QP 2nd and 3rd league games?

Edited by keptie

On 02/08/2023 at 17:11, Broath Boy said:

Simon, you able to find highlights of Arbroath beating Hibs in the Scottish cup approx 1977 at Easter Road, highlights were shown on the BBC at the time, cheers.

Simon also footage of the home game which finished 1-1 (Yule), the Hibs fans charged round to the AFC end (Pleasureland end) and there was a riot and pitch invasion, superb entertainment lol 36-0.

Just now, Lichtie78 said:

Moving it to a free Saturday is an absolute no brainer both financially and on the pitch in my opinion. 

I agree with that side of things. Just don't like playing them 2 games in a row. Might work out well for us though. 

3 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I'd like to think that we know how to play against tippy tappy football by kids from academy who are schooled to play the "right" way by wannabe Pep Guardiolas.  I'd like to think that we can absolutely body them.

This is very naive 

3 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I'd like to think that we know how to play against tippy tappy football by kids from academy who are schooled to play the "right" way by wannabe Pep Guardiolas.  I'd like to think that we can absolutely body them.

I mean I get we’re a young side but we’re not entirely a youth side as you seem to be suggesting. Dom Thomas, Ruari Paton, Tommy Robson, Charlie Fox, Jack Thomson, Calum Ferrie, Louis Longridge all play regularly and minus Paton, were all still part of the team that were 1 win away from being in the premiership

Aye we’ve signed some academy guys and it’s anyone’s guess how successful they’ll be but I’m unsure what evidence suggests we’ll get ‘absolutely bodied’ by yourselves 

Just now, qpfc said:

I mean I get we’re a young side but we’re not entirely a youth side as you seem to be suggesting. Dom Thomas, Ruari Paton, Tommy Robson, Charlie Fox, Jack Thomson, Calum Ferrie, Louis Longridge all play regularly and minus Paton, were all still part of the team that were 1 win away from being in the premiership

Aye we’ve signed some academy guys and it’s anyone’s guess how successful they’ll be but I’m unsure what evidence suggests we’ll get ‘absolutely bodied’ by yourselves 

I base this on all your management interviews, all full of talk about playing the right way, and proper passing football with good youngsters.  Also from watching your team last season.  We know how to play against teams that start with a short pass from the keeper to a centre back, then a pass to a full back, then back to the centre back, then back to the full back, gradually trying to pass up the pitch and open up opportunities.  We can play deeply, deeply cynical football, and it can work well against teams that play the "right" way.  I'm feeling reasonably confident about playing Queens.

6 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I base this on all your management interviews, all full of talk about playing the right way, and proper passing football with good youngsters.  Also from watching your team last season.  We know how to play against teams that start with a short pass from the keeper to a centre back, then a pass to a full back, then back to the centre back, then back to the full back, gradually trying to pass up the pitch and open up opportunities.  We can play deeply, deeply cynical football, and it can work well against teams that play the "right" way.  I'm feeling reasonably confident about playing Queens.

That’s fair enough. I don’t doubt that anyone, including the QP support will have question marks on how this style will pan out. I’m incredibly confident it’ll be successful in the long run but I’ll admit that I think we might get off to a rocky start adapting to this style in the championship. You’re potentially going to be playing us at a good time in these double header matches

I’ve no clue how Arbroath will do tbh. Reading on here, there seems to be a massive expectation on Bird being the real deal. His football CV doesn’t exactly scream goals but he might just need regular football, who knows 

I think the difference for you guys will still be whether Little, O’brien and Gaston can maintain their incredibly high standards. Little looked like he was slowing down last season whenever I seen him play and I’m curious to see if this will still be the case

4 hours ago, qpfc said:

That’s fair enough. I don’t doubt that anyone, including the QP support will have question marks on how this style will pan out. I’m incredibly confident it’ll be successful in the long run but I’ll admit that I think we might get off to a rocky start adapting to this style in the championship. You’re potentially going to be playing us at a good time in these double header matches

I’ve no clue how Arbroath will do tbh. Reading on here, there seems to be a massive expectation on Bird being the real deal. His football CV doesn’t exactly scream goals but he might just need regular football, who knows 

I think the difference for you guys will still be whether Little, O’brien and Gaston can maintain their incredibly high standards. Little looked like he was slowing down last season whenever I seen him play and I’m curious to see if this will still be the case

Oh don't say that about Little...I said the same thing at the end of last season and was nearly crucified on this thread.  But he is slowing down, and I do think he's lost a yard of pace.  I actually think QP will do very well against some teams in the division, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them in the playoffs, but my gut feeling is that we will match up well.  

Regarding Bird, its not so much his goals record, but more that he looks like he fits into our team and way of playing.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Couple of unknown faces in background of Dicks interview. 

Also training at regional performance centre which is new? 

Letham will have midweek league games at the start of the season so probably just a temporary measure. Sure Ross Campbell is involved with the running of the place.

On 02/08/2023 at 14:46, SimonLichtie said:

Good news! We now have an online archive containing our entire history! The archive is now fully live and can be found here; Arbroath Archive. Below gives a rough idea of what we've got on there:

·  A record of every game we've played from 1878 until present day, with over 6400 total games in total, with game date (teams, subs, scorers, ref etc) where known, and highlights for modern day games

·  A match report for every almost every game with thousands of old reports from the Arbroath Herald & Arbroath Guide and dozens of other sources, as well as fan reports from the old arbroathfc.org.uk website for our games in the 90s and early 00s

·  A profile for every player who has played for the club containing their full playing record for the club as well as player info, a picture where we have it and a biography

·  Our all-time player appearance records, goalscorer records and clean sheet records

·  Hundreds of pictures, programme covers, a managerial timeline, hat trick heroes and lots more!

As well as the site itself, we will be looking to keep our social media pages fairly active with regular posts on a whole host of things, such as 'Guess the Player', 'On This Day', 'Did You Know?' etc. as well as hopefully further articles/ interviews in the future.

We have a fantastic history as a football club, and I'm delighted we have our full records online for all to see and hope the social media channels will help bring some wonderful stories of players, matches etc. to you all over the coming months/ years. If anyone wants to get involved or has any material they think we should have on the site it'd be great to hear from them.

It'd be great if people we're able to share the site/ social media posts on their own online profiles to get things out there. Any and all questions/ contributions/ ideas etc. are welcomed and very much encouraged :) 

Facebook
Twitter

Absolutely fantastic stuff Simon.

Few things that brought memories back was my first every away game in the Scottish Cup vs Montrose and we played 2 suspended players won the game 1-0 but had to replay game which ended 0-0 then lost replay at home

Colin McDonald scoring a hat trick on his debut on loan halfway into the season. Always remember him because I’m pretty sure he had a ponytail. 

4-1 defeat to Spartans

7-2 win over East Stirling where 2 players got themselves hat tricks.

3-1 defeat away to Inverness in 2007 in the Scottish league cup on a Tuesday night. With only being 15 at the time I was the only one from my friends who got permission to go to the match with it being a school night. Pretty sure there was no supporter bus either so had to bag a lift from someone. Home early hours of the morning and in school for 9.

And a random 2-1 win away to Stenhousemuir where Kevin Webster scored in the last minute. Previous week myself and a few mates was like who’s the ‘old’ guy because he didn’t have much hair. Soon shut us up as the away fans went nuts I seem to remember.