The Arbroath Thread

I definitely think that one thing they have gotten right was to make a decision on who was the left back and stick with it. Stewart has definitely improved in that role and not chopped and changed every week. Although like everyone I would be happier signing a proper left back and hopefully now the window is closed it will open up some loan opportunities. 

19 minutes ago, ahfpjim said:

Pink quoted in the Daily Record today as saying " we have a full squad of players now " 

Does this mean no further additions ?

Im sorry but going into a championship season with 4 defenders of which only 3 are fit is incredibly naive. Not good enough especially at this level. Maybe he means no more signings but hopefully we can still get a loan or 2 in.

Are there loan players out there of our standard that clubs will send to us?  With 7 (or 9?) on the bench and 5 subs allowed, that means players are getting a lot more game time, and arguably the quality of loan players available is not as high as it used to be.  Certainly numerically, there are less loanees available.  Of those loan players, most of them are probably too raw for what we need, and of the handful of quality players available for loan, why would they pick Arbroath over the other full time clubs?  Maybe we could loan in a left back, but loan players come in to play games, so we are unlikely to loan any defensive cover to sit on the bench.

I think its permanent signings or bust,

Edited by ExiledLichtie

34 minutes ago, ahfpjim said:

Pink quoted in the Daily Record today as saying " we have a full squad of players now " 

Does this mean no further additions ?

10 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Im sorry but going into a championship season with 4 defenders of which only 3 are fit is incredibly naive. Not good enough especially at this level. Maybe he means no more signings but hopefully we can still get a loan or 2 in.

Would imagine it means that we’ve got a good squad now not a full squad with no more additions ie no passengers (debatable). Last year we had a full squad but it was on paper only 6/7 of them were no use at all 

Again in Sellars column just the other day he’d already said he was working on the next player after the manager had phoned him saying he had been happy with the performances of the new boys 

3 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Are there loan players out there of our standard that clubs will send to us?  With 7 (or 9?) on the bench and 5 subs allowed, that means players are getting a lot more game time, and arguably the quality of loan players available is not as high as it used to be.  Certainly numerically, there are less loanees available.  Of those loan players, most of them are probably too raw for what we need, and of the handful of quality players available for loan, why would they pick Arbroath over the other full time clubs?  Maybe we could loan in a left back, but loan players come in to play games, so we are unlikely to loan any defensive cover to sit on the bench.

I think its signings or bust,

Bullen said other day that Scottish clubs weren’t really wanting to do loans until they had their squads figured out. That happens every year though, September always busier for Prem teams putting loans out down the leagues

St Johnstone manager said on Thursday that all of Booth, Crawford and McGowan would be leaving but they never went yesterday

Edited by 1320Lichtie

19 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Never mind naive, more like amateur. Basically a squad of 19… 18 fit.

That quote sounds worryingly like that’s it. Might be fine for the moment but just wait until injuries and suspensions kick in. Won’t be surprised to see games where we have no more than 3 or 4 on the bench and a ludicrously makeshift defence.

Yes, poor quality signings or loans are a waste of time but you need numbers and I’d much rather have an average left back than no left back at all… and a full bench.

Edited by Tattie36

My thoughts on today just copied over from the match thread.

Was thinking today that we maybe need another striker - if Bird or McIntosh is injured then we don’t really have anyone else and it would pretty much ruin the way we play. 

Turan has been good in recent weeks but think it’s clear to see his best position is wide left, he made no real impact at all uptop and the way we play the game would completely pass him by. 

He was good today but so was everyone, that again was a committed Arbroath performance, we made it extremely tough for Ayr to play or do anything. McGeady must have hated that. 

Think we deserved the 3 points but it was a very cagey game at points. 

Delighted and again Airdrie at home another winnable one, it’ll be a complete contrast in style but I hope we play like we have last 3 and get fired right in about them and play the direct way we do. 

Also on McGeady that has a wee touch of the Scotty Allan’s about it, clearly got a lot of ability but the game seemed to pass him by because he’s no up to speed. 

Fair play to Albinson too, thought it was sound of him to get the game stopped even when Ayr had the ball so that Bird could be looked after. Good lad 

That referee is fucking hopeless too 

To be fair, I think all the Turan doubters have changed their views by now.  I actually think he didn't have the greatest game today, still good, but I think he played too much as a winger.  From what I've seen, he's better when he drifts inside a little more and gets more involved in the play.

Edited by ExiledLichtie