The Arbroath Thread

I think a lot of players will maybe feel similar to the way we do about Dick now tbh. Some of his decisions, comments and behaviour in his final full season and a half were absolutely mental and they are ones that wouldn’t have gave the players any confidence either. Think they knew it was done deep down just like all of the fans. 

I think he would have pissed off a lot of players to be honest. 

I could see Hammy going. 50/50 over ToB I would imagine Dick would be like a second dad to him. Ricky I cannot see heard he was wanting to move to a team closer to home at the start of the year so EF would make no sense.

Would be surprised if McKenna and Scott Stewart went anywhere near it though. Same with Goldie.  

The whole spiel being given on that BBC interview just shows a real lack of understanding in regards to the fans and the overall situation to me and I hope that’s the end of it because it’ll turn a bit of a bitter parting of ways if it keeps up. 

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I don’t believe it either 

He’s looking for sympathy with that comment. Our support self police pretty well and Im 99% sure that if someone had indeed spat at him then they would have been called out instantly. There was a verbal altercation with a supporter but Dick was giving it back just as strongly. Iv lost a bit of respect for him after seeing that interview. 

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

He’s looking for sympathy with that comment. Our support self police pretty well and Im 99% sure that if someone had indeed spat at him then they would have been called out instantly. There was a verbal altercation with a supporter but Dick was giving it back just as strongly. Iv lost a bit of respect for him after seeing that interview. 

I think it’s definitely been exaggerated and blown out of proportion - is it being said because whoever was shouting maybe spat by accident when they were shouting?

There is absolutely no way someone has tried to spit on him that is crazy talk and would’ve absolutely been seen by other supporters. 

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think it’s definitely been exaggerated and blown out of proportion - is it being said because whoever was shouting maybe spat by accident when they were shouting?

There is absolutely no way someone has tried to spit on him that is crazy talk and would’ve absolutely been seen by other supporters. 

As expected the comments on that bbc post are all backing dick and calling our support arse holes. Exactly what Dick would have wanted. As my mate has just text me saying there 

“Pile of shite. If it happened, someone would’ve known about it”

33 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Disgusting that someone actually did spit on him and gets a hiding at somepoint but surely canny over complain that the board didn’t fight to keep. Think most people could see his time had come 

Will no re-phrase what i was going to say about DC before i listened to this video.

I was going to say i wished he had retired the season before or even after the near SPL season and moved upstairs at Gayfield in some type of role and everybody was happy i.e. the retiring Management team/The AFC Board/The Red Lichtie supporters but alas i think it was a season too far and everything finished on a bad note.

I was going to say i was disappointed that the Club or even TASC or even just a group of AFC Supporters never invited DC and his backroom staff to some type of meet up just to say "thanks for what you did for AFC" albeit it would have been easier to do this if DC had actually said he was retiring from the game but i would have liked some type of opportunity to say "thanks" once the dust had settled after the disaster at Spartans.

What he and has backroom staff done for our club was superb and a great 7-8 years in our clubs history and i will always be thankful for that but again i will say he should have retired a season earlier imo.

Also if it is true an Arbroath FC spat on him then that is a disgrace as that is the lowest of the low imo.    

If he has made up that comment regarding being spat at then I've lost respect for the man.  Surely someone knows something or saw it if it's genuine?  No need for him to make shite up and paint Arbroath/fans poorly.

That interview has certainly left a sour note in my mouth.

Obviously what he achieved at the club was fantastic. The stuff of dreams. But even he has to admit his performance as manager in that 18 month spell was utter shite. He overseen a season where we scored ONLY 11 goals at home!! along with signings that to this day baffle the best of us to what he seen in them - Deri Corfe anyone?

Clearly looking to deflect the blame for the last 18 months.

Thanks for the great memories Dick but time to move on for all involved.

I was standing approximately 3ft from Dick when he was confronted by an Arbroath fan about our performance and at no time did I witness anyone spitting at him or near him.

He was then ushered away by the Spartan stewards. Can anyone really believe that someone spat at Dick and he turned the other cheek. 

My respect for Dick has diminished with this statement and like other fans state that he is merely endeavouring to cover up for his failings which were a blow to his hubris. 

31 minutes ago, KeptieKyle said:

2 minutes ago, Housecaptain said:

I was standing approximately 3ft from Dick when he was confronted by an Arbroath fan about our performance and at no time did I witness anyone spitting at him or near him.

He was then ushered away by the Spartan stewards. Can anyone really believe that someone spat at Dick and he turned the other cheek. 

My respect for Dick has diminished with this statement and like other fans state that he is merely endeavouring to cover up for his failings which were a blow to his hubris. 

This is what I think too - there is just no way it happened and to say that shows he’s either absolutely frazzled and lost the plot or a compulsive liar.

I would hope it was the former - could always forgive him meddling with the truth and reality when he was talking about football but you cannot go around accusing people of spitting at you 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Big difference between being hit by a bit of spit and being spat on. If it was the latter it would have been acted upon. 

2 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

Big difference between being hit by a bit of spit and being spat on. If it was the latter it would have been acted upon. 

I don’t even know if that happened and I also seriously doubt that is the case either - just trying to figure out what would make him say such a thing 

I know that Dick told his immediate family he was spat on as he called them to say he'd quit. His son told close friends that he'd never heard his dad so low after TNS. 

I wasn't there so cannot comment on what happened. But I know that this is what he said happened at the time.

As for the board not trying to keep him, well 18 months had drained the goodwill bank. He couldn't really have expected anything else. Selection issues were down to his squad management.

But if he's the bigger person he claims he didn't need to say it. 

Feel a bit sad watching that interview. I understand he would have been angry and upset at the time, especially knowing his personality, but I thought that with the passing of time he would have calmed down a bit and have shown a bit more decorum and class than that. It was an ugly end for all involved, can’t it have just been left at that?

Shades of Mark McGee at Aberdeen and the phantom spitter that no one saw apart from him.

As others have said, I wish he’d left at the end of last season or even the season before. 

It was and remains all about him.

Edited by Tattie36

I would say that one other person definitely did see it - and that's Colin Hamilton. I didn't see anything myself, but Hammy clearly did and was immediately over having a go at someone opposite me. I've no idea if it did or did not happen, but it's worth keeping in mind Dick isn't the only one who thinks it did.

I actually take much more issue with the second part of what he says in terms of us basically not begging him to stay on as our manager. That's really quite a wild take and only appeals to those outside of the Arbroath bubble in Scottish football. To say he wanted the chairman to come out publically and basically give him free reign regardless of how the rest of the campaign panned out is absurd. We weren't even halfway through the season! A year prior to his departure when we were initially struggling after our miracle season that would've been much more understandable and he had more than enough credit in the bank at that point. At the stage he resigned he was running on empty, incredible he'd want the chairman to come out and publically back him to continue for at least another year or whatever at that point! :blink: 

I think Dick deserves a lot more respect than he gets from a lot of our fans for all that he achieved at the club, however he's never been a person I've warmed too. He's always embellished and exaggerated things whenever possible in his usual cheeky chappy way, and it's pissed me off since the mid 00s while he's managed both for and against us. This won't be the last time Dick references being hard done by or similar comments when it comes to ourselves, and it shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone to hear him say as much.

7 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I would say that one other person definitely did see it - and that's Colin Hamilton. I didn't see anything myself, but Hammy clearly did and was immediately over having a go at someone opposite me. I've no idea if it did or did not happen, but it's worth keeping in mind Dick isn't the only one who thinks it did.

I actually take much more issue with the second part of what he says in terms of us basically not begging him to stay on as our manager. That's really quite a wild take and only appeals to those outside of the Arbroath bubble in Scottish football. To say he wanted the chairman to come out publically and basically give him free reign regardless of how the rest of the campaign panned out is absurd. We weren't even halfway through the season! A year prior to his departure when we were initially struggling after our miracle season that would've been much more understandable and he had more than enough credit in the bank at that point. At the stage he resigned he was running on empty, incredible he'd want the chairman to come out and publically back him to continue for at least another year or whatever at that point! :blink: 

I think Dick deserves a lot more respect than he gets from a lot of our fans for all that he achieved at the club, however he's never been a person I've warmed too. He's always embellished and exaggerated things whenever possible in his usual cheeky chappy way, and it's pissed me off since the mid 00s while he's managed both for and against us. This won't be the last time Dick references being hard done by or similar comments when it comes to ourselves, and it shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone to hear him say as much.

Did Hammy actually say that the guy (presuming it’s a guy) spat on him like?