The Arbroath Thread

At the end of Brian Rice's first season I thought that Coulson had really come on to a game - in the first leg of the play-off against Hamilton he absolutely tormented their full-back. Unfortunately he never kicked on last year, albeit he wasn't helped by Rice shunting him around a bit at the start of the season, and despite plenty of opportunities he never  recaptured his previous form.

I'd have been happy enough if we'd kept him but I'm not too bothered that he left and I reckon that we should be able to get better quality in the loan market - he never reached the heights of Taylor Steven or Ethan Sutherland - or by Kevin Cawley as the wide forward on the left.

It's a signing that could go either way for Arbroath, he could kick on and add an end product to his game but he could just as easily turn out to be really frustrating and spend the season running down blind alleys. It will be interesting to see how he develops.

Edited by Dink

Think Coulson more than likely means Stowe may be moved on. Murray / Stewart / Dow / Coulson - as wide options - all 4 seem like slightly different options and players too. 

Hoping to see Watson and Coulson today and potentially one of our strikers (noticed they chose CalGal as the 60 second sit down so obviously been training) on the park. 

Also.. most importantly… NO INJURIES TODAY PLEASE 

2 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

You have to remember you could search back in this thread for similar reviews from Arbroath. 

Hetherington was unironically quite decent for us tbf.

14 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

We’ve made 2 signings since inverness so by default that means we’re gonna have at least 3 injuries

Actually just laughing thinking back to that night we made 3 signings on the Friday night last season before Ayr at home. Had been running with a squad of about 13 every week and that was including Gordon Walker who had signed a week earlier…

Friday night midway through January we sign MacKinnon, Delaney and Robinson I think. Everyone buzzing that we would get a bit of relief and had some bodies in the squad 

7 minutes into the Ayr game the next day Delaney has to go off. ToB then goes down in the first half too and has to go off. 1 minute into the second half Gordon Walker goes off on a stretcher… 

Back down to a squad of about 13 and everyone back to saying we need to make more signings!!!! 😂

What a fuckin carry on last season was

Edited by 1320Lichtie

29 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Actually just laughing thinking back to that night we made 3 signings on the Friday night last season before Ayr at home. Had been running with a squad of about 13 every week and that was including Gordon Walker who had signed a week earlier…

Friday night midway through January we sign MacKinnon, Delaney and Robinson I think. Everyone buzzing that we would get a bit of relief and had some bodies in the squad 

7 minutes into the Ayr game the next day Delaney has to go off. ToB then goes down in the first half too and has to go off. 1 minute into the second half Gordon Walker goes off on a stretcher… 

Back down to a squad of about 13 and everyone back to saying we need to make more signings!!!! 😂

What a fuckin carry on last season was

As much as McIntyre deserves criticism on certain things, it can’t be overlooked how catastrophically bad his luck has been. 

54 minutes ago, ellichtie said:

Hetherington was unironically quite decent for us tbf.

He’s one of the players that I genuinely can’t remember watching him for us. I was at almost every game that season and I know in my head that he played a good handful of games but I can’t remember actually seeing him play

27 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

He’s one of the players that I genuinely can’t remember watching him for us. I was at almost every game that season and I know in my head that he played a good handful of games but I can’t remember actually seeing him play

His signing got the full bifter: announcement - countdown - fireworks, the full package.

I remember being a tad underwhelmed when it was then announced that we’d signed a Falkirk bench warmer.

He was decent for us though. Nothing spectacular but solid enough and I was disappointed when he left.

24 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

I don't think Hetherington is the kind of player you tend to notice. Solid and efficient, doing the basics. I used to think the same of Whatley. 

Bryan Hodge 

Hope Coulson does well for you guys. He definitely has talent but just needs to work on a couple of things. As others have said, he's guilty of taking too many touches and keeping his head down instead of looking to pass/shoot.

Feel he done OK for us last season but was obviously overshadowed by Steven on the other side. Left back was our weakest position last season and Coulson done a lot of work defensively to help them out.

1 hour ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

I don't think Hetherington is the kind of player you tend to notice. Solid and efficient, doing the basics. I used to think the same of Whatley. 

He's hard not to notice to be honest and it goes way beyond just being the basics. He anchors the midfield, protects the defence, and brings control and a platform for the men further up. His absence was key to us being very poor against League 2 East Fife last week then defeating Premier League St Johnstone a week later. He clearly had an unhappy spell at Falkirk but he had previously been excellent in the league above. Some of their fans still treat him as a scapegoat for their own unhappy spell at the time and are incapable of giving an opinion on him not tainted by bitterness, even bizarrely appearing in discussions like this which have no relevance to Stevie Hetherington. Unlike the Alloa fans who as far as I can see have offered fair opinions on Quinn Coulson: a player who has talent but remains a work in progress, and one you might get a tune out of with the right role and management. Good luck to him and to the Lichties. 

3 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

We scored a goal. We won a game.

What madness is this

I don’t want to over exaggerate because it was only Bonnyrigg…. But to the surprise of absolutely nobody we looked really fkn good as soon as Gavin Reilly come on the park. What a difference and what a goal from him.

It was a small tight hill of a park and a battle at times.

McAdams looks a great keeper. Watson come on extremely confident spraying the ball about at the back. TOB got through it and 2 young full backs very good. Coulson grew into the game and had some great moments in second half, done well considering he’s only had one session. Murray and Slater their usual…

I am going to give him his own wee write up here because I’ve been harsh on the guy, Ali Spalding was tremendous, a million miles an hour. He kind of reminded me of John McGinn with how much he got stuck in, used his arse and drove forward with the ball.

Reilly brilliant and what a finish from him. Him coming on completely changed the game. A focal point who took the ball in and laid it off. Never stopped working either. 

Cal Gal was quieter but again just having two players to occupy defenders changed everything. 

They 2 will only improve with games.

It was a good day that and it’s great to get a win, yes it is only Bonnyrigg but given the circumstances with 5 players out and all the nonsense we’ve had to deal with I’m really happy with it 

Also… some stuff in the stand today needs nipped in the bud.