The Arbroath Thread

Stewart Petrie just signed a new deal at Montrose he is not a serious candidate.

Michael Tidser has 12 months more experience than Hammy and Gold 

59 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

If both the manager and assistant are still part of the playing squad then we are making major savings on a "management team budget" 

Not sure if Jimmy Boyle is still hanging about like a bad smell or if Hammy/Gold want to keep him around.

Significant cost saving it seems, hopefully that is put back into the player budget for any loans/out of contract players.

I would still be looking to choose the best candidate available from those who apply.   If the money rumours are true then it will be Hammy/Gold , it doesn't seem we would have the money to go and get a Stewart Petrie or Michael Tidser.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Stewart Petrie just signed a new deal at Montrose he is not a serious candidate.

Michael Tidser has 12 months more experience than Hammy and Gold 

I am obviously completely aware of that, I was giving an example of two good managers that are currently operating at our level that it now seems we wouldn't be able to attract or go after due to finances so the Hamilton/Gold thing seems to have a bit of legs now.

My preference is to go for a more experienced management team that two of our players if affordable. 

36 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

I am obviously completely aware of that, I was giving an example of two good managers that are currently operating at our level that it now seems we wouldn't be able to attract or go after due to finances so the Hamilton/Gold thing seems to have a bit of legs now.

My preference is to go for a more experienced management team that two of our players if affordable. 

I've seen a few comments about finances being poor.  Unless anyone can say otherwise, I'm calling BS and gonna say these are rumours with no basis in fact.

We've done well out of our foray into League 1 and by all accounts we weren't overspending.  Sure we've seen two managers go, but that can't have hurt us to the point of oblivion and revenues will fall this year vs League 1 so need to be prudent, but we still shouldn't be in bad shape especially vs the rest of the league.

I'd heard we were in very good shape a good few months ago (although caution advised as the person informing me was drinking the McIntyre koolaid).  Companies House shows that we were in good shape last year... so unless something reckless has taken place...

25 minutes ago, Water Tower Wullie said:

I've seen a few comments about finances being poor.  Unless anyone can say otherwise, I'm calling BS and gonna say these are rumours with no basis in fact.

We've done well out of our foray into League 1 and by all accounts we weren't overspending.  Sure we've seen two managers go, but that can't have hurt us to the point of oblivion and revenues will fall this year vs League 1 so need to be prudent, but we still shouldn't be in bad shape especially vs the rest of the league.

I'd heard we were in very good shape a good few months ago (although caution advised as the person informing me was drinking the McIntyre koolaid).  Companies House shows that we were in good shape last year... so unless something reckless has taken place...

Finances be fine overall, probably good, but in regards to discussion over manager obviously he would have had a decent pay off so that money will be a write off and I think that’s what people are getting at 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

I'm hearing Hamilton is the likely long-term option with Gold not 100% sure.

He has likely played his last game as his injury isn't recovering as well as hoped so he's keen.

Gold wants to continue playing as long as he can and is already not liking having to sacrifice playing time to manage instead.

36 minutes ago, JobbieSandwich said:

He has likely played his last game as his injury isn't recovering as well as hoped so he's keen.

Gold wants to continue playing as long as he can and is already not liking having to sacrifice playing time to manage instead.

If Gold ain't liking it he can stop doing it i should imagine. Where you hearing this?

On 10/09/2024 at 16:29, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Agree with this, i would love to see Goldy and Hammy some day be our Management team but as been said they never applied for this position they have been thrown in because McIntyre quite rightly was long overdue "punted".

I would like a situation for instance if ex-Raith Manager Ian Murray was to sign a short term contract until the end of the season BUT have Goldy and Hammy as part of his backroom team that way it keeps Murray's hand in Football Management (i am guessing he is waiting on a full-time job in football) plus would be a great learning curve for Goldy and Hammy and if Murray done well and picked up a full-time club in say 3/4 months and we as a club have done well and Goldy and Hammy want the job then offer them it.

I have heard a few "high profile" names are in for the job but obviously the AFC Board need to get the correct appointment and i would love to see Goldy and Hammy involved but i am still not sure if they need an "experienced" person alongside them or not so i would still be waiting a few weeks before making the decision.

Just for an another example i saw Jim McInally at Gayfield on Saturday (Ryan Dow's father-in-law) who is a vastly experienced player and ex-Manager (Sligo Rangers 1999/Morton 2004-2008 - won the league/East Stirling 2008-2011/Peterhead 2011-2022 - won the league twice) and i believe he stays in Monifieth or the Ferry so why not see if he wants to come on board for "guidance" for Goldy and Hammy so they can use his vast experience if the need to make big decisions, i know Jimmy Boyle is still at the club but i am not a fan of the ex-Assistant Manager still being at the club as he would still have a bit of loyalty for Jim McIntyre so it must be a bitty awkward.

I would also be guessing the AFC Board would have been sounding out our Captain TOB and the experienced players about it?

Up to now though they have done a very good job.

C'Mon the Red Lichties.

Looks like some folk have not read my previous post correctly, i was not stating we should appoint Jim McInally as our next Manager but if we did appoint Goldy/Hammy as co-Managers i feel we would need an experienced head on the backroom staff for guidance and imo Jim McInally would be a good shout as i am sure Goldy/Hammy already knows him as he has been going to AFC games the last few seasons to watch his son-in-law Ryan Dow.

Repeat again it must be awkward having Jimmy Boyle on the touchline with his previous loyalty to Jim McIntyre so i would be trying to get him out of his position and a fresh experienced person in to work with Goldy/Hammy.

51 minutes ago, JobbieSandwich said:

I'm going to call BS on this to at least some extent. Didn't he rupture his cruciate ligament just over a month ago? It's fairly unlikely that's settled down enough yet to even have had the surgery never mind reached a conclusion that he "isn't recovering as well as hoped". He's certainly done damned well to get surgery that quickly even privately if he has had it. Reegan Mimnaugh did it with us last season in early September and didn't even have surgery until December. He's back playing for East Kilbride this month. Appreciate Hamilton is 32 and maybe doesn't fancy a year of rehab at his age but reaching a medical conclusion that it isn't working this soon seems very unlikely.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm going to call BS on this to at least some extent. Didn't he rupture his cruciate ligament just over a month ago? It's fairly unlikely that's settled down enough yet to even have had the surgery never mind reached a conclusion that he "isn't recovering as well as hoped". He's certainly done damned well to get surgery that quickly even privately if he has had it. Reegan Mimnaugh did it with us last season in early September and didn't even have surgery until December. He's back playing for East Kilbride this month. Appreciate Hamilton is 32 and maybe doesn't fancy a year of rehab at his age but reaching a medical conclusion that it isn't working this soon seems very unlikely.

It’s a wind up but in pretty poor taste - Colin Hamilton is a club legend 

Colin Hamilton is a club legend 

I agree with that.

However the sad fact is that his 2 recent injuries are severe in nature with both requiring surgery with this most recent surgery being delayed. By the start of next season, he'll be 33 having played next to no football in 18 months. As good as the private healthcare we give our players, it's nowhere near the level of the elite clubs and he'll be very unlikely to return to the level he was playing at before injury.

10 hours ago, JobbieSandwich said:

I agree with that.

However the sad fact is that his 2 recent injuries are severe in nature with both requiring surgery with this most recent surgery being delayed. By the start of next season, he'll be 33 having played next to no football in 18 months. As good as the private healthcare we give our players, it's nowhere near the level of the elite clubs and he'll be very unlikely to return to the level he was playing at before injury.

He did an interview with the club just 5 days ago saying he knew he was going to have to put a whole lot of work in and that he’d be giving it 100 percent to get back and that it’s been tough but he’s feeling so positive going forward - if he’s backing himself to make a recovery better to get right behind that and him too. 

Coming on a public forum and saying that he’s finished and that he’s played his last game just seems a wee bit in poor taste - guy is a club legend and deserves better 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

With Jimmy Boyle still being involved on the sidelines I wonder if the club may opt for Hammy as Player/Manager (with a view to gain further coaching badges whilst he recovers), Boyle as an experienced assistant manager with the necessary coaching badges ( holds an A License) and Gold as a Player/Coach as I don't think he is willing to take on a managerial role long term due to his off field commitments.

He did an interview with the club just 5 days ago saying he knew he was going to have to put a whole lot of work in and that he’d be giving it 100 percent to get back and that it’s been tough but he’s feeling so positive going forward - if he’s backing himself to make a recovery better to get right behind that and him too. 

Coming on a public forum and saying that he’s finished and that he’s played his last game just seems a wee bit in poor taste - guy is a club legend and deserves better 

I deal in facts and evidence and draw conclusions from there. 

Not 'feels' which sometimes results in hard truths being acknowledged.