The Arbroath Thread

On 14/07/2023 at 15:14, Smokie_Bacon_crisps said:

Hi Sunshine!

I do hope you are in your warm, wonderful, positive and optimistic mood as ever!

I normally don’t reply, especially over the past two seasons where this thread has just become one huge car-crash.

Social Media - “Constant Spam of Children on Holiday” - These spammers are our supporters, and our future supporters and if you are in Arbroath, or even further afield you now seen nearly every young boy and girl wearing an Arbroath shirt.  It’s bloody brilliant.  You just have to look around the terraces at Gayfield - full of young supporters.

These pictures and posts are maybe spam to you, but to these young supporters it makes their day.  Big Clubs can’t and don’t do these sort of posts, even small clubs don’t do it.  If a simple Facebook or Twitter post gives a young supporter a feeling of pride and joy and a connection with their club, then I shall keep posting them.  It’s the same reason all the players stayed behind for over an hour on the final home game of last season signing shirts, hats, arms, and posing for selfies with everyone who asked, because without supporters and recognising them for their loyal support Clubs would be nothing.

It’s the same as sharing charity posts, missing person posts etc - We have a big outreach and if we can help one person, then every post and tweet is worth it.

I know we are all wrong on this forum, but just to let you know I am a volunteer, and I think this is my 10th season officially.  

I read many false and incorrect ones on this forum, but again don’t bother speaking out as it's not my place nor my role. There are volunteers at the Club, and I spend sometimes spend anytime between 10-15 hours on a quiet week doing things for the Club, on a week where we have 3 games and lots of posts to write, create, film, photograph etc - up to 60 hours.

I do it as I am a supporter and prefer the Club spend their funds on players and facilities.

You are more than welcome to volunteer or take over and start the social media, I certainly can’t do it forever.  I’m sure your positive charm would be more than welcome.

Final note for me today, and probably for the season.

Cheers

Graham

Il happily volunteer Graham 

7 hours ago, qpfc said:

I mean I get we’re a young side but we’re not entirely a youth side as you seem to be suggesting. Dom Thomas, Ruari Paton, Tommy Robson, Charlie Fox, Jack Thomson, Calum Ferrie, Louis Longridge all play regularly and minus Paton, were all still part of the team that were 1 win away from being in the premiership

Aye we’ve signed some academy guys and it’s anyone’s guess how successful they’ll be but I’m unsure what evidence suggests we’ll get ‘absolutely bodied’ by yourselves 

I’m fully expecting two defeats from yourselves right now and you’re one of the teams I am really not looking forward to playing - suppose we will just have to see what happens 

I see Bobby Linn is getting his farewell tonight. I'd love to be there tonight (I only support Lochee United, not Dundee United), but I can't seem to buy any tickets. Maybe a bit cheeky to ask it in here, but any chance anyone can help me out for tonight? 🤔

Edit: ticket sorted so I'll be there tonight. 👌

Edited by Marten

5 minutes ago, Marten said:

I see Bobby Linn is getting his farewell tonight. I'd love to be there tonight (I only support Lochee United, not Dundee United), but I can't seem to buy any tickets. Maybe a bit cheeky to ask it in here, but any chance anyone can help me out for tonight? 🤔

If you phone the club and explain I'm sure they would be happy to help.

It’s Gameday! And it’s the start of our Lichties 2023/24 cinch Championship campaign!

TO THE FANS
This season will once again be full of highs and lows. Let’s continue to support our incredible club as we battle against the full time sides of the championship. Your support means more than you will ever know 🇱🇻

TO THE PLAYERS
You continue to be our hero’s and the players that we will talk about for years to come! The entire town is behind you! All we ask is for 100% commitment. Good luck for the season 🇱🇻

Cmon Arbroath 🇱🇻

Despite a lot of the negatively that kind of rolled over into the summer and lack of defensive incomings, following the result against Montrose there are definitely reasons to be optimistic and look to compete with the bigger teams.

Looking forward to seeing how we do tonight. Be watching it down my local club with a few from the Leicester branch of Arbroath supporters. 😃

Think I’m more confident in us than fans of other clubs which is weird it’s usually the other way about. Reading and listening to them is making me have doubts but as I said a few pages back I think on paper we’re looking good. If and it’s a big IF - ToB, Ricky and Gaston are at the level they were last season I really cannot see us struggling.

We for all our faults were very good defensively in that second half of the season and even the first half considering how much pressure we were under with nobody to get us out.

So adding some good players who can do that and potentially score goals seems like all that is and was required. 

We very well may not win tonight, or next week or the week after but we’ve got 3 very difficult looking games coming up. Whatever happens I hope it doesn’t affect us because I think we are cut out for the week to week grind with the squad we’ve got. 

Fingers crossed (might be completely wrong who knows) 

Absolutely loving this new AFC Archive Website thanks to @SimonLichtie 🇱🇻⚽🔥❤️ My First Game, My Worst game (Dad & Me still get nightmares) and one of the best games 🤩 Although nowadays it doesn’t seem like much, Morton were quite big back then and we were seen very much an underdog struggling back down in the lower leagues but the winners got to play Rangers plus Stuart Sorbie was one of my fave players ever

IMG_4720.png

IMG_4719.png

IMG_4721.png

10 hours ago, Arbroathlegend36-0 said:

Absolutely fantastic stuff Simon.

Few things that brought memories back was my first every away game in the Scottish Cup vs Montrose and we played 2 suspended players won the game 1-0 but had to replay game which ended 0-0 then lost replay at home

Colin McDonald scoring a hat trick on his debut on loan halfway into the season. Always remember him because I’m pretty sure he had a ponytail. 

4-1 defeat to Spartans

7-2 win over East Stirling where 2 players got themselves hat tricks.

3-1 defeat away to Inverness in 2007 in the Scottish league cup on a Tuesday night. With only being 15 at the time I was the only one from my friends who got permission to go to the match with it being a school night. Pretty sure there was no supporter bus either so had to bag a lift from someone. Home early hours of the morning and in school for 9.

And a random 2-1 win away to Stenhousemuir where Kevin Webster scored in the last minute. Previous week myself and a few mates was like who’s the ‘old’ guy because he didn’t have much hair. Soon shut us up as the away fans went nuts I seem to remember. 

I remember all of these very well - which is unfortunate in the case of the Spartans game :lol: I also remember McDonald mainly due to his ponytail at the time and remember him getting a rousing reception upon being subbed late on in the 4-2 game against Clydebank in which he got his hatrick.

The Kevin Webster winner I remember vividly - cut inside his full back right infront of the away fans in the stand at Ochilview and then celebrated by running past the away support to the home end. After the game I'm fairly sure he said he didn't realise where the away fans were...... surely all of us celebrating in one half of the stand and the Stenny fans head in hands in the other should've given that away :lol:

I'm not surprised you haven't mentioned the Stranraer away play off promotion game from May 2008 considering my memories of that have you in a slightly worse for wear state after the bus journey down :P 

Hope Sheffield is treating you well - I advise you to get up the road to Gayfield for a game this year ;) 

2 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I remember all of these very well - which is unfortunate in the case of the Spartans game :lol: I also remember McDonald mainly due to his ponytail at the time and remember him getting a rousing reception upon being subbed late on in the 4-2 game against Clydebank in which he got his hatrick.

The Kevin Webster winner I remember vividly - cut inside his full back right infront of the away fans in the stand at Ochilview and then celebrated by running past the away support to the home end. After the game I'm fairly sure he said he didn't realise where the away fans were...... surely all of us celebrating in one half of the stand and the Stenny fans head in hands in the other should've given that away :lol:

I'm not surprised you haven't mentioned the Stranraer away play off promotion game from May 2008 considering my memories of that have you in a slightly worse for wear state after the bus journey down :P 

Hope Sheffield is treating you well - I advise you to get up the road to Gayfield for a game this year ;) 

That bus back from Stranraer makes me feel sick and not want to drink today - what a fucking carry on and state it was. 

Absolutely buzzing and so excited to get the Season started tonight 🇱🇻❤️🔥⚽️ Think we have put together a really exciting team with plenty of pace, energy, youth & experience, Expecting plenty of highs and lows in what will no doubt be another rollercoaster of a season. As @lichtie23said there is a really great buzz and excitement about the town so hopefully the players can take that feel

good factor onto the pitch starting tonight and continue that throughout the season 🐟🍷

11 minutes ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Absolutely loving this new AFC Archive Website thanks to @SimonLichtie 🇱🇻⚽🔥❤️ My First Game, My Worst game (Dad & Me still get nightmares) and one of the best games 🤩 Although nowadays it doesn’t seem like much, Morton were quite big back then and we were seen very much an underdog struggling back down in the lower leagues but the winners got to play Rangers plus Stuart Sorbie was one of my fave players ever

IMG_4720.png

IMG_4719.png

IMG_4721.png

That Morton game was brilliant. A really good performance against a team higher up the leagues than us. I played 5s with a Morton supporter at the time so that was fun as he was convinced they were going to pump us…. Mind you, so was I.

You're wrong with a wee detail though - that game didn’t mean we played Rangers, it was victory in the next round v East Fife (0-0 at home then 4-1 in the replay) that got us to the quarter finals and the Rangers game.

1 minute ago, Tattie36 said:

That Morton game was brilliant. A really good performance against a team higher up the leagues than us. I played 5s with a Morton supporter at the time so that was fun as he was convinced they were going to pump us…. Mind you, so was I.

You're wrong with a wee detail though - that game didn’t mean we played Rangers, it was victory in the next round v East Fife (0-0 at home then 4-1 in the replay) that got us to the quarter finals and the Rangers game.

Oh yeah mate so it was 🤣🤣🤣 I missed the 0-0 but went to Bayview with Dad & Grandad and with what felt like the whole of Arbroath which was my first away game and what a night, That stunning Paul Tosh mazy run & goal 🇱🇻⚽🔥💪

18 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

No idea what you're talking about, it says Craig Wight and always did so.... :ph34r:

There will be plenty of wee mistakes here and there I'm sure - would encourage people to point them out like you've done so I can get them corrected :) 

2576.jpg

Absolutely class mate, Just sent this onto my Dad 🤣🤣🤣 🇱🇻⚽🔥 🐟🍷