The Arbroath Thread

I suspect I'm in the minority, but I'm fairly happy with that overall :lol: We were never getting a result today, none of us thought we would, and to me it was far more important how we lined up and what shape we went with. I thought McIntyre got the shape and the starting 11 close to spot on - the only difference I would've gone with would be Gold for MacKinnon, with Gold being better off the ball and much more experienced in a game we were obviously going to be on the defensively for. If we keep that shape and the majority of that team starting every week we give ourselves the best chance we can.

Dundee Utd are two levels above us, they're far better individually, much fitter, stronger and their shape both on and off the ball is superb, constantly making the opposition work and keep switched on. I'm not going to have a go at individual players in that situation - it's not their fault they're playing against Premiership players on several thousand a week. Very thankful we don't have to play them again this season at least - easily the best team I've seen at Championship level in our time here.

The only player I would pick fault with today would be Kyle Robinson. Two absolutely needless bookings to pick up. The first one, there's absolutely no need for him to be getting involved with the game over, and then to be on a yellow card, 4-0 down and well into the second half and decide to chuck an elbow at the defender you've just been booked for arguing with two minutes previous is utter, utter stupidity. He's been poor since arriving in January, and to then behave like that when given 25 minutes to show what you can do after losing your place in the team is unbelievable. The positive is that surely Jay Bird will start next week with Robinson suspended...... 😒

4 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I suspect I'm in the minority, but I'm fairly happy with that overall :lol: We were never getting a result today, none of us thought we would, and to me it was far more important how we lined up and what shape we went with. I thought McIntyre got the shape and the starting 11 close to spot on - the only difference I would've gone with would be Gold for MacKinnon, with Gold being better off the ball and much more experienced in a game we were obviously going to be on the defensively for. If we keep that shape and the majority of that team starting every week we give ourselves the best chance we can.

Dundee Utd are two levels above us, they're far better individually, much fitter, stronger and their shape both on and off the ball is superb, constantly making the opposition work and keep switched on. I'm not going to have a go at individual players in that situation - it's not their fault they're playing against Premiership players on several thousand a week. Very thankful we don't have to play them again this season at least - easily the best team I've seen at Championship level in our time here.

The only player I would pick fault with today would be Kyle Robinson. Two absolutely needless bookings to pick up. The first one, there's absolutely no need for him to be getting involved with the game over, and then to be on a yellow card, 4-0 down and well into the second half and decide to chuck an elbow at the defender you've just been booked for arguing with two minutes previous is utter, utter stupidity. He's been poor since arriving in January, and to then behave like that when given 25 minutes to show what you can do after losing your place in the team is unbelievable. The positive is that surely Jay Bird will start next week with Robinson suspended...... 😒

How come every other team in the league has caused united problems this season? As I said in my earlier post, I can never remember such a terrible set of results v one opponent in a season and that includes Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Killie, Dundee and Dundee Utd previously.

Even when we’ve played big teams in cups we’ve rarely been so far off it. Christ we gave a very very good Celtic team 2 great games in the Scottish Cup not that long ago when we were a L1 side. A Celtic team that had just beaten Barcelona.

We haven’t laid a glove on United this season and that is not a good United team at all.

34 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Drop O’Brien. And take the captaincy off him. We need a team of fighters. 

Usual bout of Saturday night rage incoming

And breathe......

30 minutes ago, kenwood65 said:

perhaps a few of the players are thinking about road trips to stranraer and bonnyrig , maybe east kilbride next season

Can't really see Stranraer or Bonnyrigg in League 1 next season. 

Playing EK the following season a distinct possibility.....😟

Utd are better we get that.

All the games against them though this season we have been weak which is not in keeping with us.

Can accept a defeat if the players give everything but yesterday they didn’t (apart from Boruc).  Yesterday -again - could easily have been double figures and that is simply not acceptable.

i worry for what happens next season and I hope our Board are too as not so long ago we were 12 minutes away from potentially winning the league and have collapsed completely to this - what’s the plan?

’mon the Lichties but god man up

17 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Agree

And ToB getting criticism… you realise how hard a game that would be to come in and play when you’ve been in and out with injury all season 

Next Saturday is massive. Airdrie away are a different prospect to Airdrie at home unfortunately but if Arbroath were to win that game you’re right back in the mix going into the following 3 home games.

I have no confidence and no wonder with how things have been but really there should be no reason why we can’t - that line up on paper yesterday was decent enough 

We need big games from Bird, McKenna, Reilly and yes even ToB.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

17 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Drop O’Brien. And take the captaincy off him. We need a team of fighters. 

I agree with a lot of your comments on this forum generally and I  personally do wonder about Tams commitment to  the fight  we are in for survival in this league but I think we have to  believe that he as our Captain and one of the best defenders I have ever seen at this level will step up and help keep us in the Championship for at least another season

17 minutes ago, unknown1954 said:

I agree with a lot of your comments on this forum generally and I  personally do wonder about Tams commitment to  the fight  we are in for survival in this league but I think we have to  believe that he as our Captain and one of the best defenders I have ever seen at this level will step up and help keep us in the Championship for at least another season

He has went from the best central defender in the championship to a player who looked nowhere near match ready yesterday. Is he coming back too quickly? . I would say yes.

On the games side, reckon we need 6 wins from now to stand any chance of survival. A tall order under any circumstances, but with the sort of fight and commitment shown against Raith, we would stand a chance, but on yesterday's showing not a hope. 

It’s absolutely wild that you could think ToB isn’t committed. There’s no way he’s half arsing anything that’s not how footballers work they’ve far too much respect and commitment to themselves and their team mates to just half arse it or throw in the towel he quite simply couldn’t get away with that as captain and in that dressing room 

9 Cup Finals now 🇱🇻⚽🔥🤩💪🏆

To survive I reckon we will need to win 6/7 of them so we need to completely just go for it, Better to go down fighting than to get relegated on a whimper. We can definitely do it but will need to show more of that second half against Raith and less of yesterday lol. We can beat anyone on our day but the time for talking is done. Roll up the sleeves, get stuck in and bring it on.

22 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

I would imagine McIntyre thought TOB had to start as we were playing Utd and the fact Hamilton is injured and Teale made a couple of errors against Raith. 

Tam definitely really started to struggle a bit more this and last year with form and injuries, seems permanently peppered with niggling injuries.

Not as much as Hammy though who looks to have lost a fair bit of pace when he wasn’t very quick in the first instance. 

Which is understandable as they’ve gotten older and Hammy has had a serious injury to deal with. 

Would never ever ever question the commitment of either of them though I think they’ve just got to the stage in their careers where they are passed their peak, this happens to every player. Look at Jason Thomson last year, exactly the same thing.

I think Hammy will definitely move on to L2 with EF next season and I have a feeling ToB might end up there too. They’ve been absolutely brilliant players here and will both go down as club legends but we are definitely starting to see and in a way have been in the process of the beginning of the end for a lot of the old core and the time is coming for attempting to build a new core of guys.

Which will be a really hard job.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

I think we should be looking to keep a core team of:

Gats

Steele

TOB

Slater

Goldie

McKenna

McIntosh

Jacobs

Stewart

Stowe

Norey

Lyon

Bird

I think we will lose to EF/will just leave but want them to stay:

Hammy

Little

Adams

Anyone else is either on loan or we should be looking to punt imo - maybe harsh on Delaney given he's been injured the whole time he's played for us. Everyone else McIntyre has signed is gash.

I also think we should cut our losses with McIntyre - I don't think he'll keep us up and I have no faith that he'll get us promoted next season. Has about as much charisma as a fire at an orphanage.

Edited by ellichtie