The Arbroath Thread

Hemfrey obviously not as exciting as Sinclair on paper but still happy with it 

Also quite an inexperienced keeper - however the experience he has had he seems to have done pretty well. Played against Vincent Kompanys Burnley for Rotherham and was described as putting in a hero's performance in the English Championship which is not too shabby and obviously ended the season as Airdries number 1 playing in the Challenge Cup Final and Premiership play offs because of the injury they had to Josh Rae. 

The guy needs regular football to kick on and will be determined to prove himself and make a career in the game - should be relatively decent at minimum with I think a pretty high upside if it goes well, potential there and with regular games he really could shine - he will be wanting to play here regularly then start climbing back up the ladder and into FT football again

Time will tell but I think this will be decent at a minimum with the potential of being really really good. Fingers crossed

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Layton Bisland - so we now have 6 defenders. Feels surreal - Bisland and Wilkie both younger lads from Dundee too. 

Bisland a bit part player for Falkirk last season. 

Not sure what the back 4 will look like. ToB, Steele and Hamilton certain starters you’d imagine and then after that not sure. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Only one keeper signed? We're only 6 weeks away from playing league games, get it fucking sorted McIntyre :angry: :angry: :rolleyes: 

Another solid signing, a keeper who impressed me last season and most importantly impressed the guys watching him week in week out.

So far, in terms of signings, Reilly, Gallagher and Hemfrey are all guys I'm really excited about and really good ones, with Callaghan being a good squad option and Wilkie/ Bisland giving us defensive cover, both having plenty of potential and having proved themselves at a lower level.

I'm sure there will be players in the squad who were contracted from last year who may leave before the end of the summer, be it on loan or otherwise.

Overall it's been a good summer for us so far..... I know the last few months of last season were absolutely chronic and embarrassing at times, but I'm glad the club stuck it out and hopefully these sort of signings that we've been watching and lining up throughout this calendar year show why we did so instead of just chucking everything up in the air again in April/ May.

I'm also delighted we've signed a good level keeper, as finally people will stop fucking going on about it. How on earth anyone can have been through more than 3/4 years of supporting a football club and be worried about a lack of signings/ movement etc. in May/ early June ahead of a season which always properly starts in August I do not know :lol: 

7 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Can see Walker leaving unless JMc sees Steele playing at CB rather than RB.

I think Bisland or Wilkie start, one of them doesn’t start, then Gogs and the one that doesn’t start on bench. Steele, Hammy and ToB all can play centre half - Hammy and Steele can both play full back too. 

Of course this can change too depending on form and injuries etc but good to have option 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Saving that penalty at Gayfield was probably Hemfrey’s best moment for Airdrie. I think his debut was in the 5-2 game actually, so McIntyre will have seen plenty of him.

He came in at an awkward time, with Rae out for the season, the only other keeper being David Hutton who clearly didn’t want to play, and Hemfrey having not played for a long time. He’s a big guy but his main flaw is never coming off his line. Having someone like Fordyce to command the box helped him out a fair bit, though that confusion still cost us at times. Some fans never really took to him, I always tried to give him the benefit of the doubt as it’s hard coming into a team in March but he never really improved, if anything his flaws just became more obvious.

I’m surprised he’s managed a two year deal at Arbroath but hopefully playing for one of the better teams at a lower level will build his confidence a bit. 

Edited by Mr November

9 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Saving that penalty at Gayfield was probably Hemfrey’s best moment for Airdrie. I think his debut was in the 5-2 game actually, so McIntyre will have seen plenty of him.

He came in at an awkward time, with Rae out for the season, the only other keeper being David Hutton who clearly didn’t want to play, and Hemfrey having not played for a long time. He’s a big guy but his main flaw is never coming off his line. Having someone like Fordyce to command the box helped him out a fair bit, though that confusion still cost us at times. Some fans never really took to him, I always tried to give him the benefit of the doubt as it’s hard coming into a team in March but he never really improved, if anything his flaws just became more obvious.

I’m surprised he’s managed a two year deal at Arbroath but hopefully playing for one of the better teams at a lower level will build his confidence a bit. 

Think things like that will come with more experience and confidence - coming into a team in March as a number 1, a team full of players you don’t even know and then being expected to command and dominate the box as a 22 year old keeper would be really tough.

You know as well as I do too just how different it is in the Championship compared to League 1. I’d hope this is a really good move for the guy and that he can kick on and get himself games to improve on things like that. 

Would have absolutely taken Gaston again this year and been really happy to see him stay but he was struggling in the Championship with coming off his line at crosses and coming off his line with balls over the top etc. 

Time will tell but like I said earlier I think at a minimum it will be a decent signing with the potential for it to be a really good one over time 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Currently - 

We have 3 players that can play at RB. Walker, Steele and Bisland. (Also Stewart if needed)

We have 4 players that can play CB. Steele, ToB, Wilkie and Hammy.

We have 2 players that can play LB.

Wilkie and Hammy.

With a squad budget for 20 players then we have the right amount of defenders. Plenty of options now.

Things Iv picked up on watching this session. 

1- New coach is like a drill Sargent 

2- Callaghan isn’t here

3- Intensity looks really good

4- Gallagher doing individual work with the physio

5- Bisland wears a hair band 

lots of positives 

Just need a jobber back up keeper as a number 2 and that’ll be the defence and goalies sorted. 16 players in total whenever back up keeper arrives leaving space for 4/5 of which I hope are

Defensive Midfielder

Winger

Striker / Winger 

Striker 

Would imagine a couple of these may be loan signings - also now we’ve got Wilkie and Bisland, two young lads from Dundee - maybe Grady McGrath will become the 3rd as we were linked with him earlier in summer 

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

Things Iv picked up on watching this session. 

1- New coach is like a drill Sargent 

2- Callaghan isn’t here

3- Intensity looks really good

4- Gallagher doing individual work with the physio

5- Bisland wears a hair band 

lots of positives 

Number 5 😂