The Arbroath Thread

1 minute ago, relichtie said:

JMac must be the unluckiest manager we have ever had then

I genuinely don't get what you're alluding too though - how could he have done anything about any of those injuries?

I agree though - he really is absurdely unlucky, but while we have to take it into account, it can't be the excuse trotted out in a couple of months time.....

10 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

This one is really poor - well below your usual standards IMO. Demonstrably true to anyone who reads what I said. 

Its just the facts.  You might not like it, but its factual content.

2 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I genuinely don't get what you're alluding too though - how could he have done anything about any of those injuries?

I agree though - he really is absurdely unlucky, but while we have to take it into account, it can't be the excuse trotted out in a couple of months time.....

If only we had spunked hundreds of thousands on a youth team. Then we wouldn’t be in this mess that McIntyre has created 

On 23/07/2024 at 20:44, 1320Lichtie said:

Hopefully he’s just a wee bitty knackered after running about 43 mile the last 3 and a half matches 

Wonder if there's any truth in this.  After all, last season, a lot of our injuries came from rushing players back before they were ready (which was brought on by our unbalanced squad), rather than being able to rest players.   We had no choice in the matter, but it arguably caused a lot of our problems.  

Or maybe it is entirely 100% bad luck!

8 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Not alluding to anything, just simply asking a question about the squad size and whether we should look for more quantity instead of quality. 

Just now, relichtie said:

Not alluding to anything, just simply asking a question about the squad size and whether we should look for more quantity instead of quality. 

So fill the squad with players not up to the standard? Then expect them to help us win games when brought on or start due to injuries and suspensions? 

1 minute ago, relichtie said:

We have 19 players right now though? Most teams will have 20 to 22 at a push to get them through the entire season never mind 4 League Cup group games 

Unless McIntyre has them doing Mixed Martial Arts at training I’m really not sure what else he could do or how he could possibly be blamed

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Unless McIntyre has them doing Mixed Martial Arts at training I’m really not sure what else he could do or how he could possibly be blamed

Good God - I can only presume we'll be down to no keepers after training this evening once Big Mad Mental Gary Maley gets in and about them :( 

9 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

So fill the squad with players not up to the standard? Then expect them to help us win games when brought on or start due to injuries and suspensions? 

Isn't that how a squad works?  Other clubs will have youth players looking to get minutes or occasional games to build their experience, or veterans who maybe can't do whole games, but can come on and do a turn when needed as a calm experienced head to see the game out.  We might have players who are coming back from injury, and instead of being thrown straight back in, they might have a couple of games on the bench, just coming on for half an hour at first, while an understudy gets a chance.  We might also have different types of players that are suitable for different formations and games.  So against a bigger club, we might want a defensive midfielder, whereas against a lower league team, they might not be what we need, and we'd prefer a different type of player.  I do feel like I'm having to explain very basic football concepts here. 

Or maybe Arbroath are unique and special and we're like no other club in history?

8 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Isn't that how a squad works?  Other clubs will have youth players looking to get minutes or occasional games to build their experience, or veterans who maybe can't do whole games, but can come on and do a turn when needed as a calm experienced head to see the game out.  We might have players who are coming back from injury, and instead of being thrown straight back in, they might have a couple of games on the bench, just coming on for half an hour at first, while an understudy gets a chance.  We might also have different types of players that are suitable for different formations and games.  So against a bigger club, we might want a defensive midfielder, whereas against a lower league team, they might not be what we need, and we'd prefer a different type of player.  I do feel like I'm having to explain very basic football concepts here. 

Or maybe Arbroath are unique and special and we're like no other club in history?

That was my point. With a budget allocated, the manager has to fill his squad. Many clubs will have a core of very experienced players, with other places filled by players of differing levels of experience. Many clubs will have players in the squad who will play only a few games but get better by the experience of being with those core players passing on their knowledge to them. Would that have been a better approach for us. Who knows?

16 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

No Arbroath are not unique and will have a similar squad size to every other club in L1 and L2 

Still find it absolutely hilarious how you’re on here throwing your overly smug and assured opinions about at everyone a million times each and every day when you’ve not even watched a single minute this season 

53 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

If we had signed a few more players of dubious ability but with potential and they hadn't "made the grade" , we loan them out to lower league teams as with Balde. What I'm asking is has JMac spent a huge part of his budget on these 2 quality strikers and left himself with not enough "wriggle room" to "beef" up his squad?

17 minutes ago, relichtie said:

If we had signed a few more players of dubious ability but with potential and they hadn't "made the grade" , we loan them out to lower league teams as with Balde. What I'm asking is has JMac spent a huge part of his budget on these 2 quality strikers and left himself with not enough "wriggle room" to "beef" up his squad?

How do you think any of the posters on here would know much of the budget he has used on these 2 mentioned players? None of us do

We’ve signed a player today 

Edited by lichtie23

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

Watson on the face of it seems an experienced defender who should do well in league 2 and if he can run about and kick a ball it will certainly help

And let’s hope he’s also ok in league 1. 😂

6 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Despite repeatedly asking the club, there has been no news on streaming, so no, I haven't been able to watch the games.  Not through choice.  But why would I need to watch the games to know that both of our two strikers are injured, and we've been playing midfielders?  

Having dipped in and out of this thread to check in on how Arbroath are shaping up for the season ahead, it's clear you are the very worst poster and this is a thoroughly mortifying admission.

I'd maybe sit this one out for a while!

TASC BUS - STENHOUSEMUIR(03/08/24)

TASC are running a bus to our Lichties opening league game of the season against Stenhousemuir at Ochilview Park on Saturday the 3rd of August. The bus departure time will be confirmed ASAP.

Prices 
Adult Member (18+) - £15 
Junior Member (12-17) - £15
Under 12s - £5
Non Members - £20

Bus Rules
No Alcohol permitted

Before travel all travellers must give contact details and fill in a TASC registration form. Under 16s will also need their parent/guardian to fill out a permission form if they are travelling alone. This can be picked up from Tutties.

We are asking for supporters to have paid for their seat by the end of the day on the Wednesday before the game.

24 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Having dipped in and out of this thread to check in on how Arbroath are shaping up for the season ahead, it's clear you are the very worst poster and this is a thoroughly mortifying admission.

Buzzing to shape my week around the upcoming 4 hour podcast from yourself and @McGuigan1978

Favourite one of the year 

47 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm not saying anything that requires watching the game, and nor am I saying anything that hasn't been said by others.