The Arbroath Thread

27 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Do you have next weeks lottery numbers?

No.  The lottery is just randomly picked numbers.  When appointing a manager a number of factors can and should be looked at to give a good indication of what to expect.  I’m surprised you have alluded to picking a manager and picking lottery numbers as being something similar. 

9 minutes ago, ecto said:

If you no got a result of your own to celebrate, always thought this obsession with a manager from yonks ago, was a wee bit petty, but each to their own, I suppose, so maybe now, you could kindly f**k off to your own forum and leave us to our misery

I actually  thought you’d be nice enough to say you wished your board had the same foresight as I did.  Certainly didn’t think you’d resort to foul language.  I bid you goodnight.

6 minutes ago, relichtie said:

Let's give Hammy and Goldie a bit of breathing space. No need to make a knee jerk appointment. The board should take time to make sure we get the proper manager to take us back up there. Who knows Hammy/Gold might be a success. Paul Sheeran was,  in his first crack at management. 

Spot on.

42 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I actually  thought you’d be nice enough to say you wished your board had the same foresight as I did.  Certainly didn’t think you’d resort to foul language.  I bid you goodnight.

Are you Jacob Rees-Mogg

2 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

We have some how made Gallagher look like a pub league player,

There is a potential there but it would be daft to think we are just gonna change in an instant, 

It will get better and there will be a boost but I'm not expecting miracles, I 

It’s because none of our wingers ever run in behind. They all come short for a pass and then either pass it inside or run inside themselves, every single thing we do is infront of the other team it must be so easy to defend against.

So many times there is a pass in behind or over the full back for the wingers and the wingers never ever make they runs, we never get teams turning or get crosses and cutbacks into the box - the one time that happened today and Coulson went down the line he cut the ball back to Murray who nearly scored then the keeper pulled off a wonder save / Reilly missing in first half. 

Murray flashed some balls across but from a tough position, would have to be worldie balls cause he’s no actually taking his man on. We have two strikers on the park but never actually do anything other than clear it up to them

Ive been told by a very good source that our tactics are to not get the ball forward quickly (😂 you can see it as clear as day we always slow the game down and let the other team back into position) and to keep it until we can find the right ‘passing channels’ - what the f**k is that. It’s painful

We would genuinely get on better just clipping it into the channels and playing for throw ins and corners up the park than whatever we’ve been attempting the last 3 games 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It’s because none of our wingers ever run in behind. They all come short for a pass and then either pass it inside or run inside themselves, every single thing we do is infront of the other team it must be so easy to defend against.

So many times there is a pass in behind or over the full back for the wingers and the wingers never ever make they runs, we never get teams turning or get crosses and cutbacks into the box - the one time that happened today and Coulson went down the line he cut the ball back to Murray who nearly scored then the keeper pulled off a wonder save / Reilly missing in first half. 

Murray flashed some balls across but from a tough position, would have to be worldie balls cause he’s no actually taking his man on. We have two strikers on the park but never actually do anything other than clear it up to them

Ive been told by a very good source that our tactics are to not get the ball forward quickly (😂 you can see it as clear as day we always slow the game down and let the other team back into position) and to keep it until we can find the right ‘passing channels’ - what the f**k is that. It’s painful

We would genuinely get on better just clipping it into the channels and playing for throw ins and corners up the park than whatever we’ve been attempting the last 3 games 

Its not that hard at thar level, I'm not even taking the piss but my daughters u14 team play with a better set up and style of play, 

I've never know anyone to play 4-4-2 and play in such a slow negative manor, I really hope we stop Callaghan chipping passes for 90mins 

Get the ball out to the wingers and get crosses in the box, pretty simple that defenders aren't that good at this level, we would probably have the best centre half pairing in league,

Gold and Hammy will get my 100% backing, just hope they are brave enough to make the right decisions no matter who they upset

Genuine serious here but I was told before Jim McIntyre got the gig at Arbroath you spoke to Ray Mckinnon before hand? I know he hasn't done great at Forfar will they look to go back and prize Jim away this time around?

1 hour ago, relichtie said:

Let's give Hammy and Goldie a bit of breathing space. No need to make a knee jerk appointment. The board should take time to make sure we get the proper manager to take us back up there. Who knows Hammy/Gold might be a success. Paul Sheeran was,  in his first crack at management. 

Paul Sheerin had a great assistant. Not saying Hammy couldn't be the same from the touchline.

11 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

still obsessed with us the stupid f**king dobber

He is right.  We drove him, McKenna, Gaston and McIntosh out of the club so we could have McIntyre as manager, and the tragic thing is, many of the so called "fans" of our club were cheering him on.  Remember the fans saying it was no great loss if McKenna left, as he wouldn't fit into Jim's formation?  Insanity.

5 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

But but but…. We have an amazing squad that’s going to win the league. He just needs more time to get things right.

Some of us have been castigated here for having the temerity to suggest that the was always going to happen and that we’ve seen this playing out for months..

Correct.  I wish McIntyre nothing but the best on a personal level, I have no feelings about him one way or another, but this was always going to happen, and anyone who argued with us should hang their heads in shame.  Was appointing him a mistake?  At the time, no.  He seemed like a good fit.  He'd had an up and down career, doing well with some clubs, he'd managed part time teams, and he'd worked with clubs in the north east of Scotland, so I don't blame the board for picking him.  We gave him a chance.  But after a while, it wasn't working.

So how did people like Tattie and myself know that this was inevitable?  Because this always happens.  I don't think there has been a football manager in history who has ever been able to turn around a start like McIntyre has had.  It has never happened.  Ever.  I said last spring that if McIntyre turned it around, he deserved his own documentary, because it would be completely unprecedented in world football.  This was inevitable.  It was always going to happen.  The people who kept clutching at straws and lining up to apologise for him have been totally deluding themselves, and frankly, their behaviour has probably kept Jim in a job.  The board have made it clear in the past that they read our socials, and to listen to people on here, you'd think he was widely beloved.  Fan pressure would likely have got him out quicker.

As others have said many times, football is all about confidence, about momentum, and Jim's team had none, and Jim himself was unable to get out of that horrid start.  He isn't to blame there, no manager in football has got out of a horrid start like that.  We should have been kind enough to part ways with Jim in the summer and say "thank you for your time".  But nope.  We have done untold harm to our club, cost us several quality players, lost out on who knows how much revenue due to falling attendances, and soured the relationship between club and fans.  All to give Jim a chance of doing something that no manager in football history has ever managed.

The last year has been an absolute waste of everyone's time.

23 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

still obsessed with us the stupid f**king dobber

IMG_5959.jpeg

For what it’s worth, if you see my post from earlier in the week, I think Ali has a point. In short, I think Jim has been too “professional” / managerial and no doubt the board were hoodwinked by elite sport management jargon, which is simply not as important at this level. 

No doubt Jim had his badges and knew what the textbooks said, but that’s not what was required. 

He’s had a shite time, but from a human perspective I wish him well. 

25 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Genuine serious here but I was told before Jim McIntyre got the gig at Arbroath you spoke to Ray Mckinnon before hand? I know he hasn't done great at Forfar will they look to go back and prize Jim away this time around?

Heard plenty of names last time. I’d say chances of that are extremely slim to nil

FWIW, in reply to a few others, I couldn’t really give a toss if Adams is “right” or whatever. It’s just incredibly strange to me that he has some grievance against us to the extent that he tweets about us months after his departure, puts out tweets implying we f**ked him about and snuck some clause in his contract. I just don’t like him and he’s always struck me as a strange guy, furthered even more by his 1 week stint at East Fife.

9 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

FWIW, in reply to a few others, I couldn’t really give a toss if Adams is “right” or whatever. It’s just incredibly strange to me that he has some grievance against us to the extent that he tweets about us months after his departure, puts out tweets implying we f**ked him about and snuck some clause in his contract. I just don’t like him and he’s always struck me as a strange guy, furthered even more by his 1 week stint at East Fife.

Adams’ comments may be ill advised and seems to say what he thinks with no filter. Given he was punted after he’d probably done all he could for Arbroath, it’s fair for him to feel aggrieved. Everyone needs a chance - Dick gave Ali a chance at Arbroath but the incoming manager quashed that.  That’s football, but can understand why Ali feels aggrieved. 

17 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

All the evidence shows that he was treated absolutely terribly by McIntyre, and wasn't given a chance.  Instead, we had chocolate wrists Boruc conceding what was it, 28?  38? goals in 10 games.  I couldn't care less about his personality, he was right.  McKenna was right too.  

And this is for all those people who insisted we needed to keep McIntyre so we could build a squad.  Is anyone really saying McKenna leaving was inevitable?  Is anyone saying that we couldn't have got another season out of Gaston?  That McIntosh didn't have what it took at league 1 level?    Having McIntyre at the wheel weakened our squad.  I hope people have the decency to own it.  There should be many mea culpa posts on here tomorrow.

28 minutes ago, Water Tower Wullie said:

Adams’ comments may be ill advised and seems to say what he thinks with no filter. Given he was punted after he’d probably done all he could for Arbroath, it’s fair for him to feel aggrieved. Everyone needs a chance - Dick gave Ali a chance at Arbroath but the incoming manager quashed that.  That’s football, but can understand why Ali feels aggrieved. 

Ali Adams was let go by East Fife after one week for reneging on his contract, guess what he was doing while he was at Arbroath… although he definitely didn’t want to be f**king Dick or Pink about the way he was f**king Arbroath about. No right to feel aggrieved 

28 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

All the evidence shows that he was treated absolutely terribly by McIntyre, and wasn't given a chance.  Instead, we had chocolate wrists Boruc conceding what was it, 28?  38? goals in 10 games.  I couldn't care less about his personality, he was right.  McKenna was right too.  

And this is for all those people who insisted we needed to keep McIntyre so we could build a squad.  Is anyone really saying McKenna leaving was inevitable?  Is anyone saying that we couldn't have got another season out of Gaston?  That McIntosh didn't have what it took at league 1 level?    Having McIntyre at the wheel weakened our squad.  I hope people have the decency to own it.  There should be many mea culpa posts on here tomorrow.

😂

f**king hell you’ve no idea

On 04/05/2024 at 09:31, ExiledLichtie said:

Can you recall a single time in history, and I'm including every manager appointed to every football club since football was started, when a manager turned around a record like McIntyre has had (THREE 5-0 scuddings in his last 4 games!) and made a success of things?

On 04/05/2024 at 11:31, 1320Lichtie said:

😂😂😂

This is incredible - would two 5-0s and a 4-0 be ok or is it only 5-0s?

On 04/05/2024 at 11:39, 1320Lichtie said:

So specific 

But here’s one, John Rankin - won 7 games out of 36 (never had anywhere near the injury problems we’ve had) last season - they got relegated..

71 points this season 

And there were Hamilton fans all over this forum like yourselves foaming at the mouth and wanting him gone 

Went back one season to a team who’d been relegated out of this division to find an answer to your problem  

On 04/05/2024 at 11:58, ExiledLichtie said:

They won the challenge cup that season.

16 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

😂

f**king hell you’ve no idea

What a difference a few months make.  Nobody can say we didn't try to educate you about the basics of football reality at the time.  Those of us with an objective take were accused of "negativity".

2 hours ago, mo83 said:

Please make this happen

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Heard plenty of names last time. I’d say chances of that are extremely slim to nil

Honestly that's what I was told from a pretty reliable source.