The Arbroath Thread

Thinking back to yesterday Scott Stewart’s miss was far worse than Reilly’s. All he needed to do was pass the ball into the net and he yanked it wide by snatching at it. 

Was impressed yet again by Spalding and was surprised he was taken off so early. He’s got a proper engine in him. 

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to Ali Spalding on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in our Lichties loss to Queen of the South yesterday. It was another energetic performance from the summer signing as he continues to impress the Lichtie faithful.

IMG_2453.jpeg

5 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

Love scotty stewart and he’s a great player for us but his final product has always been an 

been carrying the team on his back the last couple of seasons, so am going to give him a pass

Really need to break the duck soon - when was last time we went so long without a win at start of season. I remember one of the Championship seasons we were well into November / December but that was maybe a reduced season? We actually went on and done pretty well that year after getting the first win - Ayr at home and a Craigen double maybe? 

Lucky that this league looks like it’s going to be draws and everyone beating everyone all year - a couple of wins on a bounce propels you right up it 

I never truly fancied us on Saturday for whatever reason - however sounds like it’s a running theme of not taking very good chances when we are presented with them. Something for the gaffers to have a think about and I hope we strengthen the overall squad in next couple of weeks too. 

On 14/09/2024 at 22:52, SimonLichtie said:

That was frustrating :( A game where we could, and definitely should, have been ahead before we went behind for a second time. A real 50/50 of a game for me, a draw probably a fair result. I don't think Queens were better than us, but I don't think we were better than them.....

I think you're massively reaching there. There's no denying you should have been 2-1 up at HT: Stewart should have buried that chance that we laid on a plate for him and you could argue Reilly could have got a 3rd.  We created enough good chances in the second half to win comfortably even if we were 2 goals behind. Of course, you could argue Arbroath would have shut up shop and we wouldn't have created as many chances. But the fact is we should have been out of sight in the 2nd half on Saturday. It would have felt like a defeat had Arbroath grabbed the equaliser. 

Arbroath's biggest threat was Stewart in the 1st half as Murphy stupidly put a midfielder up against him (who's lack of defending experience resulted in Arbroath scoring). In the second half he put an actual defender on him and I can only recall one real chance in the second half as a result. 

On the day Queens were better as we created more chances and scored more goals. I don't think that's a controversial take. 

22 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Thinking back to yesterday Scott Stewart’s miss was far worse than Reilly’s. All he needed to do was pass the ball into the net and he yanked it wide by snatching at it. 

Was impressed yet again by Spalding and was surprised he was taken off so early. He’s got a proper engine in him. 

Stewart's was a sitter. I was right behind him and he fluffed it. You're absolutely right, had he placed it rather than gone for power our GK wouldn't have got it. I'd need to see Reilly's back as it was further away. With Stewart's chance I shook my head before he hit it in a resigned to conceding kind of way but with Reilly I can't say I was shocked it went over; the latter was probably more to do with me having watched Reilly miss a lot of those kind of chances over the years, mind you. 

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

On the day Queens were better as we created more chances and scored more goals. I don't think that's a controversial take. 

Not a controversial take at all - both teams created chances in the game and that's a perfectly understandable take from a Queen's perspective :) My comments are mainly that, from an Arbroath point of view, we missed 3 absolutely golden chances and if we'd finished at least one of them it'd probably have been a different game - I don't think anyone would argue we could and should have been at least 2-1 up at half time and that potentially makes the second half a different game. As you say, it'd have been an entirely different second half if we were holding on to something for most of it instead of 2-1 within a minute or two of the restart. However, that's all if's, but's and maybes and will continue to be in future games if we don't take our chances when they come our way.

As you get at yourself - the Arbroath argument would be we should've been a couple of goals to the good at HT, and the Queen's argument would be that you certainly won the second half overall and created enough chances to score one or two more.... By the sounds of it really it's two teams who have created very little in the opening 6 weeks of the season and both sides fans take positives out of their teams showing a bit of creativity on Saturday.