The Role of Sport in the Referendum

Hedgecutter

I can see in the 'has P&B influenced you?' thread that some are saying that P&B is the most biased Yes forum they've come across. This has me thinking whether or not this is specifically down to the nature of the forum and the crowd it attracts. For example, what extent do you think the following has on people's political views:

• The P&B faithful (vast majority being male and 'diddy club' fans) generally have a much closer association with the Scottish national team than the other non-football supporting group of the general public, thus being more likely to have the 'Scottish first and British second' mentality.
  • Women (who have a greater percentage of No supporters in the polls) are more likely to be distant from any national side and are more engaged in sporting events involving a united Team GB (e.g. Olympics, Davis Cup etc).
  • Rangers fans appearing to be much more in favour of a No vote due to the general support's greater association with the union flag etc.

I'm not saying that any of the above are true but wondering what your take on them, or any other sport related issues you can think of are...

:huh::huh::huh:

'But' changed to 'and'. Cheers. ;)

However, could it not be the case that more women are engaged in things like the Olympics rather than football where national teams and leagues dominate? Granted that the Commonwealth Games are the exception where there was a Scotland team but normally they couldn't care less if it's elsewhere in the world and a one off in Glasgow is more unlikely to change a deep rooted perception.

He has a point, who really gives a flying f**k about Team Gb apart from Women, Rangers fans and HB? I genuinely dont know any of my mates who give a f**k about Team GB. Lot of shite.

Yeah I can't remember anyone being bothered about the Olympics.

I said this in another thread. Look at the differences between the countries and how they approach sport.

Scotland v Germany - the jovial banter will generally revolve around the Germans joking about whisky and tartan, while we joke about beer festivals and Wagner-esque buxom German girls.

England v Germany - the pernicious undertones will result in a re-run of every war ever fought, with mentions of tin hats and casual euro-sceptic racism culminating in a reference to Hitler.

England v Germany - the pernicious undertones will result in a re-run of every war ever fought, with mentions of tin hats and casual euro-sceptic racism culminating in a reference to Hitler.

Don't forget England v Argentina and the involvement of the UK in the Falklands war.

The P&B faithful (vast majority being male and 'diddy club' fans) generally have a much closer association with the Scottish national team than the other non-football supporting group of the general public, thus being more likely to have the 'Scottish first and British second' mentality.

Karl-Pilkington-Bullshit.jpg

I started losing any interest I had in the Scottish national team around 2008, which was round about the same time I started feeling passionate about Scottish independence. I only know one home and away Scotland fan and apparently he's a no voter.

You can't make black and white assertions about why people are voting yes or no.

Don't forget England v Argentina and the involvement of the UK in the Falklands war.

Indeed, although I don't think there are many countries that haven't had some sort of conflict with Britain at some point down the line.

Although I did laugh at a few English tweeting, albeit jokingly, about the WC final saying that they are unsure who to support as they had fought a war with both of them. Never a truer word said in jest.

I'm not saying that any of the above are true but wondering what your take on them, or any other sport related issues you can think of are...

I started losing any interest I had in the Scottish national team around 2008, which was round about the same time I started feeling passionate about Scottish independence. I only know one home and away Scotland fan and apparently he's a no voter.

You can't make black and white assertions about why people are voting yes or no.

;)

Indeed and fair enough though. It was just an idea thrown in to kick it off.

However... now you say that, I know a group of home and away Scotland fans and I'm pretty sure the majority of them are solid Yes supporters. Maybe more representative than just one.

;)

Indeed and fair enough though. It was just an idea thrown in to kick it off.

However... now you say that, I know a group of home and away Scotland fans and I'm pretty sure the majority of them are solid Yes supporters. Maybe more representative than just one.

I was a bit OTT with the bullshit meme (just wanted to post it), a mild disagreement is more of a fitting description.

I'm going to make my own generalisations now, but to me the posters of PnB are more often than not exactly the types of people I'd expect to be mainly yes voters. Young(ish) with little to lose from voting no, but also quite articulate and well informed, with privately educated posters (who in my experience are 95% no) in the minority. Throw in the fact that I do think the voice of the PnB majority has influenced others whether they agree or not, and it's not surprising how pro-yes this site is.

I've went and made far more generalisations than you have after saying you can't do that, but I think these factors are far more relevant than anything to do with the Scotland national team personally.

The only time I've been completely stumped by a no voter was when (after already saying that he was worried about how we'd defend ourselves) a guy said he didn't want independence because we wouldn't win as many gold medals at the Olympics because we wouldn't have as many athletes. I realised he was more interested in basking in projected glory, whether it comes in the form of a gold medal or bombing brown people (RIP Carlin), than real issues and I couldn't see any way to possibly change his mind short of brain washing.

I want an independent Scotland so we can make the best out of our little chunk of the world. If that means we don't ever win a World Cup or our Olympic team comes home with 10ish medals (or even less); that would seem a fair trade off.

The Scotland game is pretty much a bonus for the Yes camp, regardless of the score, imo.

How so? What if Scotland get utterly pumped and the more moronic element of the undecided voters view it as a timely reminder that we're too wee and too shite to do anything right?

I certainly hope most people decide whether to bin a 300 year, largely successful political union on the basis of whether they like the national football team or enjoyed watching Team GB win medals at the 2012 Olympics.

I certainly hope most people decide whether to bin a 300 year, largely successful political union on the basis of whether they like the national football team or enjoyed watching Team GB win medals at the 2012 Olympics.

Successful... why do you think that? Genuine question?

This. Even the NCC surely aren't THAT stupid :lol:

How so? What if Scotland get utterly pumped and the more moronic element of the undecided voters view it as a timely reminder that we're too wee and too shite to do anything right?

We are not expected to win, it's a team that has just won the World Cup after all. Even a thumping would be met with, "well they did the same to Brazil, and it's not like Brazil have a bad team". However if we do win it'll see an upsurge of pride, thus helping the Yes camp.

What is it with Falkirk. Is it the water?

Archived