All things Dundee FC

20 minutes ago, RiG said:

Please enjoy Max Anderson bamming up the United fans after we scored yesterday...

How's he getting on up there? His form dropped a bit towards the end of last season but he generally looked like a decent player for Championship level.

Not a game to last long in anyones memory with many players off it once again IMO. 

The only player i could pick out today would be Portales - the amount of balls he won in the air and in one on one duels was unreal. .We all know Ruddens capabilities but there's no doubt about his work rate. Ran himself into the ground today and won throw ins, tackles and fouls such as the one for the goal with his rat-like harrying. 

That's it i'm afriad though with nobody else really shining. McCowan has been dreadful the whole week but what a moment to win the match - he undoubtably is a match winner. Sloppy two yard passes and giving the ball away needs to stop if he wants to go a level up though and that goes for the whole team. First half today was scary at times.

Don't want to sound too negative as i'm delighted with the 6/9 overall this week, but there's no doubts we've been a bit jaded within that. Hopefully the weeks break can now give us some solid recovery time for what should be a cracker against St Mirren.

At the end of the day we're the newly promoted team and can't be expecting too much; think most people would agree with me that safety is the main aim. IMO some of these players have higher levels than the last few games and when they hit them we can be a right good side with relegation not needing to be a worry. Right now we're looking like a side who needs someone like Mulligan in the middle.

We'll take the three points and move on though. We can't lose sight to the fact that in the last decade or so these results (no matter the performance) have been scarce to say the least. 

High flying St Mirren up next, hit our levels and there's no fear from me. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Dundee-FC92

21 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Thought a few of this thread's aulder inhabitants might like to see this clip. I'm just slightly too young to remember 60's Dundee, but most of the places I recognise, and I can certainly remember a lot of these tenements lying empty ready for demolition in the 70's. Younger folk don't seem to comprehend me when I tell them that buildings were a lot tattier and grimier when I was a bairn, but I think the colour photos capture that and show it well. Fascinating.

Are you aware of the Retro Dundee website ?

Good evening to all dark blue shaggers, just returned from holiday and spent the afternoon in Glasgow surrounded by jambos that looked at me as if I had 3 heads on account of my 89 DFC retro. 

With all that said, a quick check of live score led me to this beauty, happy Sunday to all Dees far and wide. 

Thank you 

32 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Not a game to last long in anyones memory with many players off it once again IMO. 

The only player i could pick out today would be Portales - the amount of balls he won in the air and in one on one duels was unreal. .We all know Ruddens capabilities but there's no doubt about his work rate. Ran himself into the ground today and won throw ins, tackles and fouls such as the one for the goal with his rat-like harrying. 

That's it i'm afriad though with nobody else really shining. McCowan has been dreadful the whole week but what a moment to win the match - he undoubtably is a match winner. Sloppy two yard passes and giving the ball away needs to stop if he wants to go a level up though and that goes for the whole team. First half today was scary at times.

Don't want to sound too negative as i'm delighted with the 6/9 overall this week, but there's no doubts we've been a bit jaded within that. Hopefully the weeks break can now give us some solid recovery time for what should be a cracker against St Mirren.

At the end of the day we're the newly promoted team and can't be expecting too much; think most people would agree with me that safety is the main aim. IMO some of these players have higher levels than the last few games and when they hit them we can be a right good side with relegation not needing to be a worry. Right now we're looking like a side who needs someone like Mulligan in the middle.

We'll take the three points and move on though. We can't lose sight to the fact that in the last decade or so these results (no matter the performance) have been scarce to say the least. 

High flying St Mirren up next, hit our levels and there's no fear from me. 

Thank you. 

Agree with all of that. You can see why Rudden gets a start, all on work rate. 
Like you I thought Portales was really good, his crosses are also good, is he the RWB answer with one of the other jobbers (McGhee?) taking his place at RCH. 

We are very careless with the ball, picking the hard pass to the guy who’s heavily marked, passes too short, passes too long, terrifying cross field balls where if you get it wrong you’re totally exposed. 
Keep is simple ffs as we are not too bad a side and most other teams are more shite. 

Portales is just a really good defender. Does all the basics well and makes the right decision the bulk of the time. He makes himself really difficult to beat on the deck and is also solid enough in the air for a guy who isn't huge by CB standards. He's a great fit in the back 3, and for once it's a pleasant change to see a bit of joined-up thinking at Dens with regard to going out, recruiting a player, and using him properly in a role that suits him.

I still think we miss a 'foot on ball' type CM, because even when we are playing well we don't really scruff games and it tends to be a bit end-to-end. A nice, calm head in the centre of the pitch who can play a pass, control the tempo, slow things down and keep the heid when needed would do wonders for this side, but those players are few and far between and tend to be playing for better sides than us anyway.

If we had one, and found ourselves a goal scorer (there is hope for Robinson I think), and possibly a full time RB, then we'd be a very handy side.

Some save from Carson late on. Goal top drawer. 

Ref horrendous, if you are setting the standard early on with them yellows then no way you can change the red back to yellow.

If the Doc can build a midfield and attack like that defence he's brought together then we are in for a treat.

5 hours ago, EpicMike said:

How's he getting on up there? His form dropped a bit towards the end of last season but he generally looked like a decent player for Championship level.

I haven't seen him play I'm afraid. Not been to any games this season due to a new arrival in the family. However, most ICT fans I know who have seen him play have even impressed. I was delighted when he came in on loan. One of the few good signings made by Dodds / Robertson this summer. 

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Anderson was the best player on the park last week against Airdrie and by all accounts was excellent against United yesterday. 

I watched the second half on my stick , and I thought he absolutely strolled the game  , he sat around the centre circle most of the half just making nice passes and controlling the pace of the game , he was excellent 

23 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Thought a few of this thread's aulder inhabitants might like to see this clip. I'm just slightly too young to remember 60's Dundee, but most of the places I recognise, and I can certainly remember a lot of these tenements lying empty ready for demolition in the 70's. Younger folk don't seem to comprehend me when I tell them that buildings were a lot tattier and grimier when I was a bairn, but I think the colour photos capture that and show it well. Fascinating.

Surprised myself with the amount of locations I could name in that. 

ive been here too long.

32 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Anderson was the best player on the park last week against Airdrie and by all accounts was excellent against United yesterday. 

He slightly lost his way at Dens through all the managerial changes etc. I always thought there was a player in there. 

Why do we always have to have at least one complete donkey of a forward who gets far more game time than he should in reality?

I know Danny Mullen got a lot of stick on here, but everyone knew what Mullen was before we signed him, and to be honest I thought he performed more or less exactly as expected, not below even mediocre expectations. It's guys like Moussa, Rudden, Craig Curran etc, seems to be a theme with us.

1 hour ago, rhumbaclub said:

Some save from Carson late on. Goal top drawer. 

Ref horrendous, if you are setting the standard early on with them yellows then no way you can change the red back to yellow.

If the Doc can build a midfield and attack like that defence he's brought together then we are in for a treat.

The red card Mulligan got is looking worse the more games we play. Rudden got assaulted 30 yards from Livi’s goal when taking on the last 2 defenders is only a yellow yet Mulligan’s is on the touchline about 80 yards from our goal with less of a challenge and deemed a red.