All things Dundee FC

I never got at the time and still don’t people having a pop at Strachan. We won the league last year having arguably only played decent for 15/16 games. Bowyer appeared to be a really nice guy but the football was below par with a lot of wasted budget. I’d have made the same decision and would also have binned McPake after promotion. 

Great result and performance yesterday. Was it wrong of me at 3 nil to still be thinking this is Dundee it could still end up 3 all! Even against a team that had zero shots on target at that point. 

The 3 centrehalfs have been excellent for us. 

Boateng needs to be signed from Crystal Palace.  

13 minutes ago, Dee Bliss said:

Great result and performance yesterday. Was it wrong of me at 3 nil to still be thinking this is Dundee it could still end up 3 all! Even against a team that had zero shots on target at that point.

I don't like the way we're completely happy to let the opponent dominate in midfield and not really attempt to even get the ball, but I accept that's just part and parcel of how this system functions, and the defence is solid enough that we'll be ok for the most part. It's already cost us once this season though, and I have no doubts it will again, so it would be reassuring if we could work on changing it up a bit once we're a goal or two ahead to control the play more and kill the game. I think we're lacking a bit in midfield player-wise to do that perhaps, although Boateng and Sylla together in the middle would be a pain in the arse to play through.

This is the most competent Dundee team I can remember for a long time. Really happy with Docherty and the signings, we just look so solid. It’s nice to feel like you’re solid at the back, good keeper, and if the strikers click like yesterday we’re capable of dishing out a doing. Good time to be a Dee!

Early days, but hopefully we’ll get a cup run this year. League is always the priority, but a solid defence always gives a chance. 

With no game for another two weeks cause of yet again a reeking international break, it's a good time for the club to plan for signings in January. The mark of a successful club is planning ahead and always looking to improve.

Where do we look to improve?

For me the most important positions right now are goalkeeper (yes that's right) and right back/right wing back. 

Carson is an unbelievable goalkeeper at this level but we're an injury away from being in the catastrophic place of Legzdins coming back into the first team and chucking goals in. I don't think i'm overdoing it to say he was a disaster in the previous premier league campaign; anyone who shows me stats to prove otherwise isn't going to change my opinion. We need a keeper to challenge Carson like we had with McCracken and who can also take over the position as Carson ages over the next few seasons. 

McGhee had his best game on the right yesterday but he clearly isn't natural there and we need to improve. Kerrs not what we need as a starter. 

Some may point out the centre of midfield but i think Mulligan can thrive in there when he returns from injury. We also have the likes of Robertson who are in the last chance saloon. I'd rather see both play for the rest of the season (remembering we have Howley also) and make a decision nearer the summer who needs to go and who can stay.

A striker is another area people are shouting for but it'd kill one of the current four if we have another. Pineda has to be given the chance to show what he can do but hopefully he doesn't get in any time soon as it means Rudden and Bakayoko are performing. A fully fit Robinson can definitely produce at this level too. I'm happy to go with that four and see it as a waste of money to bring in another striker simply as we have four on the books. If we get to the summer and need to replace all four then at least they've all been given ample time to show they had enough. 

In summary then all i think we need is a goalkeeper and RWB in January. I'm happy to let the rest of the squad gel and perform for the rest of the season at it stands. 

Am i wrong or am i right? 

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

With no game for another two weeks cause of yet again a reeking international break, it's a good time for the club to plan for signings in January. The mark of a successful club is planning ahead and always looking to improve.

Where do we look to improve?

For me the most important positions right now are goalkeeper (yes that's right) and right back/right wing back. 

Carson is an unbelievable goalkeeper at this level but we're an injury away from being in the catastrophic place of Legzdins coming back into the first team and chucking goals in. I don't think i'm overdoing it to say he was a disaster in the previous premier league campaign; anyone who shows me stats to prove otherwise isn't going to change my opinion. We need a keeper to challenge Carson like we had with McCracken and who can also take over the position as Carson ages over the next few seasons. 

McGhee had his best game on the right yesterday but he clearly isn't natural there and we need to improve. Kerrs not what we need as a starter. 

Some may point out the centre of midfield but i think Mulligan can thrive in there when he returns from injury. We also have the likes of Robertson who are in the last chance saloon. I'd rather see both play for the rest of the season (remembering we have Howley also) and make a decision nearer the summer who needs to go and who can stay.

A striker is another area people are shouting for but it'd kill one of the current four if we have another. Pineda has to be given the chance to show what he can do but hopefully he doesn't get in any time soon as it means Rudden and Bakayoko are performing. A fully fit Robinson can definitely produce at this level too. I'm happy to go with that four and see it as a waste of money to bring in another striker simply as we have four on the books. If we get to the summer and need to replace all four then at least they've all been given ample time to show they had enough. 

In summary then all i think we need is a goalkeeper and RWB in January. I'm happy to let the rest of the squad gel and perform for the rest of the season at it stands. 

Am i wrong or am i right? 

Thank you. 

Probably need another LB if Beck gets recalled, to be a back up or loaned out to a higher level.

RB, CM, possibly a striker depending how Robinson gets on, but teams that go berserk in the market in January tend to suffer for it, so I'd settle for one or two out and one or two in.

The likes of Lewis can f**k off back to wherever he came from. Totally pointless loan.

1 hour ago, Crawford said:

Doc has been amazing but just remember we aren't the only ones to see it. 

I'm now waiting for a larger chequebook to show up. Long may it stay in the bureau though.

I know money talks but he’s landed himself lucky with a job right on his doorstep and gets to spend a lot more time with his family. 

More to life than money but then again the football world is a completely different world to us normal people live in. 

"Good times for a change, see the luck I've had, would make a good man turn bad,

So for once in my life, let me get what I want,

Lord knows, it would be the first time."       (Steven Patrick Morrissey, circa 1984)

Anyways, to share around the current feel good factor.

Anyone interested in a Dark Blue collectable on ebay would do worse than have a look at 'Dundee v Dundee United 2nd May 2016' , which is the match programme from a very enjoyable sunny evening in early May a few years back.

At £1.00 buy it now, plus £2.30 p&p grab a piece of happiness. (Not me selling, I have my mine).

Thank you.

doonderby.thumb.jpg.9ba1d32cc9548a927ec544c35a3ee7a1.jpg

1 hour ago, D TOTAL said:

Don’t think Iv bought a program in years, probably since we had Kevin McDonald, used to take the little posters out very carefully and had a wall full of my childhood hero’s 

One of the reasons I left my wife is she took down my Gary Harkins poster :wub:

On 12/11/2023 at 10:09, D TOTAL said:

in the epl the general consensus is you get to 85 points and your in with a shout of top spot

in spl what the consensus on saved from relegation spot ?

40 points will guarantee you won't finish bottom and means you're about 90% likely to be out of the play-of spot. 38 points is usually good enough. 34 points or less and you're in trouble. 30 points and you're doon. United got 31 points last season. Ross County got 33.

Just saw on the Dead Pool thread that Gordon Wallace has passed away but thankfully it’s not the one who scored  the only goal to win the League Cup almost 50 years ago.

Edited by Eednud