All things Dundee FC

Losing Beck for costelloe was a poor start, but my god we turned it around. Getting him back was a poorly kept secret and so was Mellon. Thought it was pish because we are usually very tight lipped. Hard not to have a smile on your pus just now if you're a Dee.

Edited by Crawford

1 minute ago, Fifespud said:

Been a bit of chat amongst ‘the lads’ today. I’m assuming Beck is a definite starter?

Hope so, I'd like to see our strongest team out after our last 2 very odd looking starting line ups, albeit we were 2-0 up at HT with Hearts and beat Livi 4-1.

The Doc maybe doesn't realise that we've all got PTSD from previous manager's tombola exploits.

Got to learn to trust the man.

Beck was great tonight, good cross for the goal and should've scored at the end, but my MOTM was Ashcroft. Won everything at the back and hopefully that's him back to being a threat in the box. 

On the other hand I didn't think Joe had his best game for us. He's been brilliant since coming in, but I've seen him play better. Must be tough with the 4th game in 10 days mind. Have faith he'll be fine. 

Thought Dodgson was okay at best, nothing amazing. Only reason he's in the team is to allow beck to go further forward imo. 

Onto midfield. Thought cameron was very good tonight. I've been critical of him recently but he did well tonight. Sylla had a decent enough first half, and i thought Mulligan did well enough when he came on. Boeteng was brilliant again though. A tough ask but i wouldn't be unhappy if we got him on a PCA. Some of his runs up the pitch in the second half were brilliant, just a shame we couldnt get a second goal.

Was disappointed with Main when he came on. Don't think he gave us anything up top. There's not being up to match fitness and then there's not looking to be putting in much effort when you've only just came on. Thought bakayoko was decent tonight, has to be said. 

Carson was quite good tonight I thought, dealt with crosses well enough and couldn't do much more about their penalty. 

Happy enough with a point tonight after the first half, even if we could've won it with Beck.

Onto Saturday 💙 

11 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

Beck was great tonight, good cross for the goal and should've scored at the end, but my MOTM was Ashcroft. Won everything at the back and hopefully that's him back to being a threat in the box. 

On the other hand I didn't think Joe had his best game for us. He's been brilliant since coming in, but I've seen him play better. Must be tough with the 4th game in 10 days mind. Have faith he'll be fine. 

Thought Dodgson was okay at best, nothing amazing. Only reason he's in the team is to allow beck to go further forward imo. 

Onto midfield. Thought cameron was very good tonight. I've been critical of him recently but he did well tonight. Sylla had a decent enough first half, and i thought Mulligan did well enough when he came on. Boeteng was brilliant again though. A tough ask but i wouldn't be unhappy if we got him on a PCA. Some of his runs up the pitch in the second half were brilliant, just a shame we couldnt get a second goal.

Was disappointed with Main when he came on. Don't think he gave us anything up top. There's not being up to match fitness and then there's not looking to be putting in much effort when you've only just came on. Thought bakayoko was decent tonight, has to be said. 

Carson was quite good tonight I thought, dealt with crosses well enough and couldn't do much more about their penalty. 

Happy enough with a point tonight after the first half, even if we could've won it with Beck.

Onto Saturday 💙 

I totally agree with a lot of that. Joe maybe down on his normal level but I couldn’t criticise him really, Ashcroft was good but no better than Shaughnessy. 
On Boateng though I totally concur. Thought he had his best game for us and was immense. 
We are growing and learning. Looking for a barnstorming 2nd half of the season.  

45 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

Onto Saturday 💙 

Agree with most of that, although I thought Sylla and Dodgson were guilty of slack passing far too often for me.

Beck was at fault for the penalty. Tried to take on 4/5 men and was tackled needlessly which led to it. In the first half he seemed almost too eager to impress. After half time he settled down and played his usual game: if he'd scored at the end it would've been wild.

Dodgson came onto a game 2nd half after quite frankly being dreadful in possession in the opening 45 along with Ashcroft who kept punting it out the pitch. Dodgson didn't give it away once in the second half and made alot more overlapping runs beyond Beck. He was obviously told by the Doc to get his finger out. Ashcroft did dominate in the air though and scored the crucial goal - he's stepped in quite well the last week but talk of him becoming a first team starter again needs to be binned IMO.

Mulligan made the difference and in the end we could've won without three first team starters tonight.

Robinson looked sharper than he has been and there were signs of life between him and Bakayoko at points. Would've been some goal early on if the ball across the goalmouth was tapped in.

Hearts up next in another big match before we head for the Paisley morons next midweek. Staying unbeaten in the two matches is good enough for me before we beat the Perth in our game in hand.

Thank you.

Edited by Dundee-FC92

1 hour ago, K.T said:

Thought Costelloe was also decent when he came on. He seems to be improving every game

I thouht he was half decent too but he was pretty pish on Saturday - better than the Sainties said he would be anyway.

Someone said Sylla gave the ball away a lot, maybe a couple of times, but he is immense getting tackles in in midfield with those long legs and very good in the air.

10 hours ago, LM_0803 said:

Onto Saturday 💙 

Can't disagree with this. I thought Beck in parts looked a bit rusty - to be expected really. I agree with your MOTM, I'm not Ashcroft's biggest fan but he was excellent last night. 

Sylla for me was rightly chopped at half time. Offered nothing and was getting outfought in almost every physical battle he faced, clearly why he is meant to be in there. I thought at the start of the match that Sylla being in there was a good shout from Docherty to allow Cameron to play more advanced. Mulligan when he came on offered us someone in midfield that would take the ball and run, that allowed our midfield to have more of a foothold in the game. 

I know that Main and a few of the other players were doing runs after the game because they said that was the case on the radio afterwards. Main isn't quite up to fitness, clearly and he'll be a better option when he gets up to that level. 

I fucking love this team. 

Thank you.