All things Dundee FC

15 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

He's not at the centre of everything defensively, simple as that, although as Spuddy alluded to he's a brilliant communicator and probably just what the likes of Donnelly and Beck need. He's been an important part of the squad this season and overall has contributed well.

In a back three he's excelled in some matches whilst notching a few important goals which has raised his stock with the fans . In a back two he's struggled multiple times and St Johnstone taegetted him almost scoring on multiple occasions had they not been dugmeat. It's not that wild to suggest Lamie would perform better there in the two.

Didn't ask for him to be dropped and as Captain it's not going to happen anyway. Just pointing out the facts and he's no colossus in the air don't know if I've missed that - he's just a very competent centre back (which is a great improvement on recent years).

No he's not. Beck and McCowan would be ahead of him as first picks. 

Thank you.

I’ll give you he’s performed better in a 3 but at no point in this season have I not had him starting a game whether in a 4 or a 3. The reason he’s better in a 3 is he’s left to go and attack everything. That’s his strength, he’s excellent in air. Both defensive and attacking set pieces he’s the one to go an attack the ball. Even the long throw ins, if it’s not him taking the throw it’s Donnelly trying to find him with it. Vocally it’s him and Carson organising things. He’s a massive, massive part of the side imo and been a great signing. 

There’s no doubting Beck’s been exceptional this season but you do tend to pick a side around the core of the team down the middle and the rest fit in around it. If everyone’s fit the team starts Carson, Shaughnessey, McCowan nobody will disagree with that. 

29 minutes ago, Dee Bliss said:

I’ll give you he’s performed better in a 3 but at no point in this season have I not had him starting a game whether in a 4 or a 3. The reason he’s better in a 3 is he’s left to go and attack everything. That’s his strength, he’s excellent in air. Both defensive and attacking set pieces he’s the one to go an attack the ball. Even the long throw ins, if it’s not him taking the throw it’s Donnelly trying to find him with it. Vocally it’s him and Carson organising things. He’s a massive, massive part of the side imo and been a great signing. 

There’s no doubting Beck’s been exceptional this season but you do tend to pick a side around the core of the team down the middle and the rest fit in around it. If everyone’s fit the team starts Carson, Shaughnessey, McCowan nobody will disagree with that. 

Not for me. Beck is more important to the team than Shaughnessy by a considerable distance. Beck missing at LB can't be replaced, not just with his defensive abilities but with his assists and contribution to the attacking phase of our play. A back three of Lamie; Donnely and Portales wouldn't see much difference. 

The core of the team would include Sylla or Boateng as they are more closely linked to the defensive side. 

Of course you're entitled to your view and i'll have mine.

Thank you.

Very curious to what line-up Docherty will put out at the weekend. Most importantly we must show them no respect-we are the better team at the moment. Can see Doc sticking with the 4-3-3, if so I would opt for Boateng oppose to Lyall. This game would suit Boateng and Sylla controlling the game and retaining and winning back possession as Hibs will have a lot of the ball. Lyall has been great further up the pitch but on the edge of the defensive box he can't defend, for example against Saints and Hearts. In my opinion Hibs are useless defending so getting the ball to Costelloe and Tiffoney would benefit us. Hibs midfield technical but weak so Mo and Mal I trust to do the job.

regarding Joe i thought the 1st half v St Johnstone he was caught out quite a bit due to the pace of their front men...but the 2nd half he seemed to adjust and got to grips with them...you dont need to be the quickest player in the world to be able to defend but you must be able to read the game which i think Joe does well enough.

38 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Not for me. Beck is more important to the team than Shaughnessy by a considerable distance. Beck missing at LB can't be replaced, not just with his defensive abilities but with his assists and contribution to the attacking phase of our play. A back three of Lamie; Donnely and Portales wouldn't see much difference. 

The core of the team would include Sylla or Boateng as they are more closely linked to the defensive side. 

Of course you're entitled to your view and i'll have mine.

Thank you.

All about opinions. Could 100% see your point of view and who’s to say you’re wrong! 

1 thing we can agree on it’s great to have these options. 👍

Sign the boys we’ve got on loan who are in the final months of their contracts at their parent clubs and it’s a great position to build on for next season. 

I’ve lost count of the amount of games Shaughnessy has headed everything out the box. Surprised some are saying they haven’t seen that. Anyway, mute debate because we’re all saying that he’s a valuable part of the side.

Roll on Saturday. 

Edited to add: he has looked suspect recently but his positioning and reading of the game is far better than any of our other defenders IMO. Easy to overlook that. 

Edited by Liam899

24 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

I’ve lost count of the amount of games Shaughnessy has headed everything out the box. Surprised some are saying they haven’t seen that. Anyway, mute debate because we’re all saying that he’s a valuable part of the side.

Roll on Saturday. 

Edited to add: he has looked suspect recently but his positioning and reading of the game is far better than any of our other defenders IMO. Easy to overlook that. 

Maybe you've lost them cause it didn't happen. If you mention dominant with heading I immediately think of Ashcroft at Aberdeen and pretty much every game he plays. That's his main attribute.

I've never came away with that feeling with Shaughnessy, plus he's a different build. Wouldn't exactly call him a colossus although for the record of course he's twice the player of Ashcroft.

His reading of the game does negate his pace issues and he does communicate better than most defenders - probably why he's captain. He's been very shaky the last month however and that's facts. Let's hope on Saturday he's back on it and I'd definitely be playing a back three with the likes of Boyle on the big pitch in Leith.

Thank you.

Edited by Dundee-FC92

Tell you what, its brilliant not being in the Chanpionship. Having wee read around topics and there's teams fans gloating at another teams fans because they pipped then to the signing of Lee Ashcroft 

Lee fucking Ashcroft for fûck sake.

1 hour ago, peebles_Dee said:

Very curious to what line-up Docherty will put out at the weekend. Most importantly we must show them no respect-we are the better team at the moment. Can see Doc sticking with the 4-3-3, if so I would opt for Boateng oppose to Lyall. This game would suit Boateng and Sylla controlling the game and retaining and winning back possession as Hibs will have a lot of the ball. Lyall has been great further up the pitch but on the edge of the defensive box he can't defend, for example against Saints and Hearts. In my opinion Hibs are useless defending so getting the ball to Costelloe and Tiffoney would benefit us. Hibs midfield technical but weak so Mo and Mal I trust to do the job.

I get where you’re coming from but not sure if I can see him dropping Lyall tbh he’s been excellent for us recently imo. Although I do agree that I’d like boateng in the side I’m just now sure how I’d squeeze him in 

21 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Tell you what, its brilliant not being in the Chanpionship. Having wee read around topics and there's teams fans gloating at another teams fans because they pipped then to the signing of Lee Ashcroft 

Lee fucking Ashcroft for fûck sake.

And the dabs are biting. 

8 minutes ago, Lalo said:

I get where you’re coming from but not sure if I can see him dropping Lyall tbh he’s been excellent for us recently imo. Although I do agree that I’d like boateng in the side I’m just now sure how I’d squeeze him in 

The only place I could see him fit in is further forward replacing either Tiffoney or Costelloe in the same system to fit Boateng in. Might not be a bad idea against what would normally be regarded as 1 of the harder away games. 

He’s excelled since the winter break, he’s not going anywhere anyway. 

the thing i like most about the doc is that every game we seem to have different players starting its a sign that he looks at the opposition and picks what he thinks is best to get a result....how many times have we saw the starting 11 and thought aww naw yet it gets a result long may it continue.

10 minutes ago, Dee Bliss said:

The only place I could see him fit in is further forward replacing either Tiffoney or Costelloe in the same system to fit Boateng in. Might not be a bad idea against what would normally be regarded as 1 of the harder away games. 

He’s excelled since the winter break, he’s not going anywhere anyway. 

Cameron is a better player than Tiffoney imo. Costelloe has looked good in flashes but I’d rather we played one of our own guys so I’d have Cameron over him too. I would like to see Boateng and Sylla together again but I reckon he’ll go with the same starting 11 again, if all fit. 

1 hour ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Maybe you've lost them cause it didn't happen. If you mention dominant with heading I immediately think of Ashcroft at Aberdeen and pretty much every game he plays. That's his main attribute.

I've never came away with that feeling with Shaughnessy, plus he's a different build. Wouldn't exactly call him a colossus although for the record of course he's twice the player of Ashcroft.

His reading of the game does negate his pace issues and he does communicate better than most defenders - probably why he's captain. He's been very shaky the last month however and that's facts. Let's hope on Saturday he's back on it and I'd definitely be playing a back three with the likes of Boyle on the big pitch in Leith.

Thank you.

Nah I have seen him being dominant. Im not disagreeing Ashcroft is more dominant in the air but he is far more deficient. I agree Joe has been shaky recently. However, that doesn’t detract from how influential he’s been on the team. He’s played a ridiculous amount of minutes and it has definitely shown. As others have said hopefully that won’t be an issue going forward. You clearly don’t rate him as much as others, fair enough. 

9 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Sigh, you got any other centre backs you don't want?

Haud on, I'm still celebrating somecųnt coming in and within 6 months looking at Kerr and Ashcroft and going "What the fûck are you twa getting wages at this illustrious club fir!?".

I need about a week of bevvy, booked holidays the lot. 

Let is perty this sway first man fucksake.

6 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Haud on, I'm still celebrating somecųnt coming in and within 6 months looking at Kerr and Ashcroft and going "What the fûck are you twa getting wages at this illustrious club fir!?".

I need about a week of bevvy, booked holidays the lot. 

Let is perty this sway first man fucksake.

Are you sure it was honey on yer pizza?