All things Dundee FC

7 hours ago, Dee Bliss said:

Is Calum Hendry no a bit meh?

He struggled for us at the start of 20/21, which is maybe where that impression coming from? There was a time when he struggled to perform but was also reckless with his play so was a walking red card.

Went on loan to Kilmarnock, managed by Tommy Wright, and came back a different player.

He'd be a great signing for almost anyone in the league IMO. Play him in a two and you'd get 10+ goals.

14 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Wonder how much of a transfer fee Uncle Roy is looking for? The greedy old chunt.

Thank you.

Let me negotiate mate. 

Negotiate Bounty Hunter GIF by DefyTV

Posted (edited)

Summer has let some of these players off the hook from fans but if we don't get rid and bring in at least another five we're in a relegation scrap.

Legzdins, Sharp, Kerr, Anderson, Robertson, Pineda and Rudden aren't good enough with Carson looking like being crocked throughout.

Mulligan, Cameron, McGhee, Tiffoney, Portales and Sylla who all blow hot and cold with Reilly who we're looking to work his way into top league football after a terrible injury hit season. 

Shaughnessy and Robertson out the first couple of months.

We couldn't compete with the top six sides in 90% of matches last season and its unlikely to change with the squad we currently have.

With the cup starting on Saturday it is most definitely worrying. We're in a very weak position but everyone else seems to be positive so maybe its just me. I don't want the likes of Kerr or Rudden to be getting minutes on Saturday cause it only ends up in failure down the line - most likely the Derby where people will take note after whipping some diddies in the cup ( which we usually fail to do).

Thank you.

Edited by Dundee-FC92

22 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Summer has let some of these players off the hook from fans but if we don't get rid and bring in at least another five we're in a relegation scrap.

Legzdins, Sharp, Kerr, Anderson, Robertson, Pineda and Rudden aren't good enough with Carson looking like being crocked throughout.

Mulligan, Cameron, McGhee, Tiffoney, Portales and Sylla who all blow hot and cold with Reilly who we're looking to work his way into top league football after a terrible injury hit season. 

We couldn't compete with the top six sides in 90% of matches last season and its unlikely to change with the squad we currently have.

With the cup starting on Saturday it is most definitely worrying. We're in a very weak position but everyone else seems to be positive so maybe its just me. I don't want the likes of Kerr or Rudden to be getting minutes on Saturday cause it only ends up in failure down the line - most likely the Derby where people will take note after whipping some diddies in the cup ( which we usually fail to do).

Thank you.

Fin Robertson is a good player, just needs a run of games. The rest can go if anybody will take them!

41 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Thank you.

Think we had a slightly better than average season last year. The fact we weren't stinking the place out makes it look better than it was, but I'm sure we won 3 games from 30 against teams from 1st to 9th. The fact we went unbeaten against the bottom 3 made up most of our points. Yeah, we competed in most of the games we played in, but the lost points late on cost us dearly, either due to players making mistakes or dochertys subs. 

I agree with the above post, and I don't think the derby in 4 weeks will be as one sided as some other dundee fans think 😶

1 hour ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Thank you.

I'd hope all these will be punted out over the next few weeks with some new blood coming in. I guess most of them out on loan (as no one wants to buy them). Isn't Legzdins basically retired now anyway?

23 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

Think we had a slightly better than average season last year. The fact we weren't stinking the place out makes it look better than it was, but I'm sure we won 3 games from 30 against teams from 1st to 9th. The fact we went unbeaten against the bottom 3 made up most of our points. Yeah, we competed in most of the games we played in, but the lost points late on cost us dearly, either due to players making mistakes or dochertys subs. 

I agree with the above post, and I don't think the derby in 4 weeks will be as one sided as some other dundee fans think 😶

This is the problem. We still need to bring in some quality and bin off the chaff (as mentioned above). The DABs haven't been in this division for about twenty years so will be looking to prove a point. Meanwhile, we haven't won at the fruit bowl since biblical times (cue lively 2-2 draw). 

Thank you. 

29 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

The league table doesn't lie and it shows we finished 6th - I'm not sure how that can look better than it was.  At no point in the season did we look like we were going down, either.

Last season is pretty much as good as it gets for us Dees in terms of league finishes give or take a place so anyone looking for us to make a significant improvement on that is likely to be disappointed. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Dee Bliss said:

Read today that County have bid for a striker playing in Ireland. Whatever they pay for him I’d imagine they’d want the same for Murray. 

Is Calum Hendry no a bit meh?

Could be shite, but hearing positive rumours regarding Si, once County complete the signing of Ronan Hale from Cliftonville, it's all systems go, possibly tonight.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

I think we all know we’ll make another 6 or 7 signings and the likes of Kerr and Rudden will go out on loan. 8 of or regular 11 from last season are still at the club with new signings already in the door to complement things. Plus we’re looking for Main and Reilly to contribute this season along with the young lads like Graham coming through to help things as well. 

Massive difference from this time last season. 

Another 5 good players in and I'll be happy , still plenty of time for this. Baka , Boateng, Beck and Big Joe all key players last season and still need replaced. As long as we avoid relegation I'm happy. 

56 minutes ago, Girth said:

I'd hope all these will be punted out over the next few weeks with some new blood coming in. I guess most of them out on loan (as no one wants to buy them). Isn't Legzdins basically retired now anyway?

This is the problem. We still need to bring in some quality and bin off the chaff (as mentioned above). The DABs haven't been in this division for about twenty years so will be looking to prove a point. Meanwhile, we haven't won at the fruit bowl since biblical times (cue lively 2-2 draw). 

Thank you. 

We also had a lot of loan players, some contributed more than others but we've had Dodgson, Beck, Babayoko, Boateng, Mellon, Donnelly, Costelloe that all had a few games and others that played less, we're going to need a few more bodies yet.

12 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Could be shite, but hearing positive rumours regarding Si, once County complete the signing of Ronan Hale from Cliftonville, it's all systems go, possibly tonight.

A fee was agreed awhile back, but I don’t know who with.  A lot of posturing by Uncle Roy, unsurprisingly.  Expect it to be “undisclosed”.

3 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Thank you.

I get all this, but I reckon more than half the clubs in this league are in similar or worse states than we currently are. There's still several weeks before the start of the league and Doc's made it clear we've still got a few signings to make, don't think he's under much illusions that the squad is finished yet.

Most of the chaff will go out on loan this season (and Pineda's already left the club), doesn't change just because they've had a full preseason or some League Cup games (though I disagree on Robertson, deserves one more chance as he's a versatile player). And those players who blow hot and cold were key parts in a team that got us top six, no worse quality than most of our rivals in this league at the very least. Definitely need reinforcements, but I do think the spine of our team is good enough to stay clear of relegation. 

If we get a good striker, a LB/LWB, more depth at CDM and unfortunately another big CB as we keep losing them, I'm feeling pretty good. For now, I'm comfortable with the squad we have for this stage, but if it's this way still when the derby approaches I won't be so content.

I'd prefer a back 4 with Portales & Graham, who's looked good. We can also add McGhee to make a back 5 and we have Astley, Robertson and and Shaughnessy as enough cover (when all fit). LB/LWB the highest priority position to recruit. RB we have Ingram. Kerr has been really good what I've seen from Poland, including setting up a goal with a superb pass. We always have to be mindful of budgets and he can cover both left and right side of defense.

I also feel really comfortable with Sharp as our 3rd choice, he has improved immensely since his first starts and again, what are people expecting to be on the bench, a 1st choice keeper?  

Midfield we have McCowan, Sylla, Cameron, Mulligan, Reilly & Tiffoney, all of whom I'm more than comfortable with. Fin & Anderson I'm not convinced, perhaps they'll be better this season, they are still young after-all. Cover for Sylla is a fear, we need that kind of presence, and potentially to play alongside with at times, felt we were at our best with the Boateng/Sylla combo last season.

Up front, I'm in the no to Pineda and Rudden camp. Wasn't impressed with Main last season either and not expecting that to change, even with a full pre-season. Another out and out striker and Murray would be just grand.

So, a LB/LWB, a dominant midfielder, Murray, or equivalent, and an out and out striker and I'd be more than happy. Oh, and no more pish loanees that we have to play, a smaller squad with better quality the way to go 

1 hour ago, eindhovendee said:

We also had a lot of loan players, some contributed more than others but we've had Dodgson, Beck, Babayoko, Boateng, Mellon, Donnelly, Costelloe that all had a few games and others that played less, we're going to need a few more bodies yet.

Yeah Beck up until he got injured and replaced by Dodgson, Bakayoko and Donnelly were the 3 regular starters from January needing replacemed. One brought in was Robertson who’s since got injured. 

I’d have for next season

Goalkeepers

McCracken-Carson-Legzdins 

Defence

Ingram-Kerr-Portales-Astley-McGhee-New CCB-Graham-Robertson-Bristow-Dodgson

Midfield

Reilly-Tiffoney-McCowan-Cameron-Sylla-Mulligan-Robertson-Anderson-Jack

Attackers

Main-SPH-Rudden-Murray

I think Sharp needs a good loan and I’d keep kerr as he might just be happy being a squad player. 

If we play the box midfield Docherty mentioned the will be game time for all our midfielders. The 2 deep roles can be played by Sylla, Rodriguez, Jack, Robertson. The two advanced midfield positions can be played by McCowan, Cameron, Tiffoney, Reilly, Anderson and Mulligan. It would mean playing one striker therefore Murray may be the only new striker we have. 

4 hours ago, Fandee said:

Fin Robertson is a good player, just needs a run of games. The rest can go if anybody will take them!

He's below average shite and that's based on years of watching him. I don't find a good player someone who has a range of passing. 

Everything else is missing. Wouldn't get in another team in the Prem or Championship.

Time to go and play every week and further his career if he believes in his ability IMO.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

He's below average shite and that's based on years of watching him. I don't find a good player someone who has a range of passing. 

Everything else is missing. Wouldn't get in another team in the Prem or Championship.

Time to go and play every week and further his career if he believes in his ability IMO.

Thank you.

Well, thankfully The Doc see's it differently. Thank you.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Thank you.

I usually agree with almost 100% of what you say but for a really young player, in his first season in the top league, I don’t think we could ask or expect much more from Cameron and, although Sylla had an odd poorer game, he’s getting asked to put in a hell of a shift in the formation we play, so I’d give him a pass too. 

Edited by Fifespud
Added ‘more’ duh