All things Dundee FC

Davidsons expected to sign a new contract in the next week or two. 
Mannus/Clark is much of a muchness and Millar has barely played for the past three seasons. MacLeans been shite the vast majority of this season. 
Our demise has been greatly exaggerated. 

It’s this sort of smug arrogance that annoys me about Sainties fans. Dundee fans run their club/team down, or make tongue in cheek remarks. Not the Sainties supporter, they are all tactical geniuses, who can pick players and decide they’re great or a car crash with one wee keek at YouTube.
Clearly you’d need to be an idiot to suggest that the players that are leaving will affect the team, RandomGuy is certain they won’t.
It will all be down to the quality of the replacements that come in, even if that’s replacements of the replacements. When you’ve got zippo to spend it’s not going to be easy.

26 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

It’s this sort of smug arrogance that annoys me about Sainties fans. Dundee fans run their club/team down, or make tongue in cheek remarks. Not the Sainties supporter, they are all tactical geniuses, who can pick players and decide they’re great or a car crash with one wee keek at YouTube.
Clearly you’d need to be an idiot to suggest that the players that are leaving will affect the team, RandomGuy is certain they won’t.
It will all be down to the quality of the replacements that come in, even if that’s replacements of the replacements. When you’ve got zippo to spend it’s not going to be easy.

The wage budgets going up, and we've already replaced two of three players who'll be leaving. There's no arrogance in stating plain facts. 

26 minutes ago, Chewing Taffies said:

St Johnstone are definitely in decline. My money will be on them finishing bottom 2 next season.  I know a lot of Saints fans and they are in agreement. 

Folk have been saying this ever since we lost Sandaza

Just now, Fifespud said:

Who are the replacements?

Clark replaces Mannus. 

McMillan is MacLeans replacement. No idea how he'll go, but bear in mind MacLean only has about nine goals this season. McMillan and Kane should beat that between them. As Tam mentioned, he was deadly for Dundalk and gave Motherwells defence the runaround in the half hour or so he played on Saturday. We're also after another striker, a couple of wingers, and a cm. 

Theres an argument we can replace Millar with Wotherspoon aswell. He ran the show against Motherwell from that position. 

So who is replacing McMillan as back up, and Wotherspoon as his replacement? You can see where I’m going. If Millar has hardly played any games is that why you’ve had a poor season? Will the young keeper be as reliable as Mannus if Clark gets injured? It’s an overall weakening of the squad, that core of reliability. The Grass is a good manager but he’s got his work cut out.

Just now, Fifespud said:

So who is replacing McMillan as back up, and Wotherspoon as his replacement? You can see where I’m going. If Millar has hardly played any games is that why you’ve had a poor season? Will the young keeper be as reliable as Mannus if Clark gets injured? It’s an overall weakening of the squad, that core of reliability. The Grass is a good manager but he’s got his work cut out.

We've got another signing to come in, and could move to a single striker again. We started the season with MacLean and Cummins as our senior strikers, we'll start next season with McMillan and Kane, and hopefully one more. 

We've changed formation, so we need less midfielders. We started this season with a midfield five, next season it'll be three, as we now use wing backs instead of full backs and wingers. Again though, we're expected to sign a couple of wingers, which is where Wotherspoon was played the majority of his time. 

Millar has no impact on our results, most goals conceded are ones he wouldn't stop, and he scored about one goal in six years. 

TW has said he's after another senior keeper. Absolutely no idea who that'll be. 

Squad isn't weaker, it's just pure conjecture to say that is. We're taking out declining players and replacing them. It's an evolution.

Of the 14 players who featured against Motherwell, 8 were 25 or younger, and only one player out the 14 won't be here next season if we can retain two loanees. Is that the signs of an ageing squad that's about to be ripped apart? 

Just now, Fifespud said:

So you’re changing system and are hoping to sign 4 other senior players. Do you really think it’s that simple?

Theres literally nothing I can say that'll take you away from this "bubbles burst" narrative you absolutely slaver over every Summer, so all we're doing here is taking up space on a Dundee thread. 

I await you being all over the Saints thread when we sign some huddy from the tier below this week. 

Just now, tree house tam said:

And he is a huddy too by the way :lol:

No doubt. Sort of looking forward to it for the inevitable doom mongering that'll swamp our threads from all corners after it 

Theres literally nothing I can say that'll take you away from this "bubbles burst" narrative you absolutely slaver over every Summer, so all we're doing here is taking up space on a Dundee thread. 
I await you being all over the Saints thread when we sign some huddy from the tier below this week. 

Ok, move along, nothing to see here. Fine.

We are only taking up space here because once again you’re all over it, being boring.

1 minute ago, Fifespud said:

We are only taking up space here because once again you’re all over it, being boring.

Dundee fans were talking about Saints so I joined in. Tried to put some facts forward from a Saints perspective. 

Nothing more, nothing less 

1 minute ago, Fifespud said:

Whats the plans for the Dees Spud? Overhaul of the shite or just tweak it a bit? Any new signings planned etc?

With regard to next season; do we think we'll see some 'well ken't faces' or some relative unknowns that McCann will pluck from obscurity?

I think we could do with some creativity from the middle of the park, could do worse than take Templeton from accies as they descend the league structure.

That is aside from the obvious inadequacies we have throughout the squad - mainly fullback and strikers IMHO.

Whats the plans for the Dees Spud? Overhaul of the shite or just tweak it a bit? Any new signings planned etc?

Who knows? Probably Caulker and Kamara will go and if so another massive clear out and multiple signings. If they stay, with less money available it will be dump who we can and try to pick up a striker and a playmaker.
Holt is meant to be away, I suspect O’Hara too. Haber, Wolters, FEB, Julen, Gadz, Basque Jon, AJLS almost certainly going. Murray back to Hibs. That’s a potential 10. Meekings too, I’m hearing ‘problems’ with him. Exciting stuff. NM will surely manage to pick up a couple of gems. However I’ve little doubt we will be in much the same situ at this point next season, it’s the Dundee way.

With regard to next season; do we think we'll see some 'well ken't faces' or some relative unknowns that McCann will pluck from obscurity?

I think we could do with some creativity from the middle of the park, could do worse than take Templeton from accies as they descend the league structure.

That is aside from the obvious inadequacies we have throughout the squad - mainly fullback and strikers IMHO.

You nailed it there. Inadequate striking in 2017-18. Full backs not the best, Cammy gives everything but needs to practice his crossing; and Holt is the ultimate confidence player, and alas 80% of his performances have been devoid of confidence. Spanish John has been ok, but oh for a Tosh McKinlay and going back further a Bobby Wilson!