All things Dundee FC

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

For all the talk about him having a "philosophy" the elephant in the room around McCann as far as I can see is that he simply doesn't seem to be a very good coach. It's all very well having an idea of how you'd like the game to be played but whether it's tiki-taka, gegenpressing or route-one, agricultural hoofball if you don't actually have the skillset to implement it and get buy in from the players then you're fucked.

Spot on.  

I used to be great at Flight Simulation on my ZX Spectrum back in the day but I’d rather leave flying to a real pilot.  About time the board realised we need a real manager and not one that knows how to do it in theory only!

Guest gregteamdee
29 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

If he’s still here in the next 24 hours peeps, he’ll be here for another week at least. 

Beyond a farce if he is kept for a must win game.  He has to go and now. 

Guest gregteamdee
10 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

If he's not booted today or tomorrow, at what point do we start actively protesting? Can't believe I'm actually asking that tbh

There isn't a Dundee fan that is actively backing him that I've seen this weekend? How much more do we need to take?  The board with their prolonged wait are relegating us. If this was anyone else he wouldn't of been away by now. 

14 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

Pretty sure Hartley was sacked on a Monday at about lunchtime.

If he's still here by tomorrow night we riot.

Can't even unfurl a banner. I'm PATG because of work but screw giving them any more money when they show such contempt for the fans.

Clearly the problem isn't one of motivation. McCann is a fantastic orator. I mean, after last years car crash of a season where we squeaked avoidance of relegation, buying a season ticket wasn't something I was looking forward to with relish. Then I watched the video of McCann's Q&A with the fans in the close season, and I swear, I was ready to buy two! Playing out from the back just made so much sense ……. 

Maybe that's the problem now; each week when Nelms phones up to ask "wtf"?, 20 minutes of listening to the McCann patter later, and John thinks we're still on course for Europe …...

24 minutes ago, Dark Blue Dick said:

Clearly the problem isn't one of motivation. McCann is a fantastic orator. I mean, after last years car crash of a season where we squeaked avoidance of relegation, buying a season ticket wasn't something I was looking forward to with relish. Then I watched the video of McCann's Q&A with the fans in the close season, and I swear, I was ready to buy two! Playing out from the back just made so much sense ……. 

Maybe that's the problem now; each week when Nelms phones up to ask "wtf"?, 20 minutes of listening to the McCann patter later, and John thinks we're still on course for Europe …...

There might be a motivation problem though, if McCann can talk a good game (and he can in front of the cameras) it might not translate well to footballers who maybe think he is too polished. Some players need a bit of a telling and a bit of a rough edge to their coaches (some don't but I am maybe just trying to play devil's advocate). I felt the same when we had McNamara. He'd clearly had a lot of media training and was very good at convincing people early on amongst the fans and in the press but if it is style over substance then that might mean players start to see through it and the same polished speeches start to wear thin. I also thought he made already soft and nice players even softer and nicer. It's as if he couldn't actually motivate them in a competitive way and we lost out badly against teams that did have that as a result. It might be nice having a very positive chat and informative debate during the week but when it comes to actually getting players fired up and players at a point when they are willing to put in that extra effort then maybe the good speaker bit isn't as effective. 

For what it is worth I still think this Dundee squad is far too good to be in the position that it finds itself in. There is enough in the playing staff to easily finish above two or three teams in the Premiership. There isn't enough to be pushing more organised and established squads but under the right guidance it should be good enough to avoid relegation and the playoff. In saying all that it does have the hallmarks of the season we got relegated. Everyone always thought we had enough in the squad, we then replaced a terrible manager with another and spent a wad of cash on expensive mercenaries. If Guy Demel rocks up at Riverside for training sometime in December then you are probably fucked.