All things Dundee FC

I've always maintained I'd be happy to keep him as a squad player. I would only be upset at him leaving if we didn't replace him.

He's not good enough to be starting for a top 6 team at this level. He is more than good enough to be a squad player for a top 6 team and would improve every side in the bottom 6 currently.

Except- he does and has started for a top 6 team all season.

I'd much rather have Jimmy Mac on our team instead of playing against us.

Except- he does and has started for a top 6 team all season.

I'd much rather have Jimmy Mac on our team instead of playing against us.

My point being that being a top 6 team will be a bigger ask next season.

Hearts are a massive upgrade on St Mirren and will want a top 6 finish straight away.

I also have a suspicion that hibs/Rangers would be an improvement on Motherwell should they triumph and will have the same top 6 ambitions as us.

County seem to be getting it right under a manager with a decent track record and a benefactor who will put his hands in his pocket as well so could be in that mix once shorn of the dross in their huge squad and replaced with mcintyres players.

Of our top 6 rivals I'm not sure Jimmy Mac makes it into any of their starting line ups. If we want to kick in we also need better.

My point being that being a top 6 team will be a bigger ask next season.

Hearts are a massive upgrade on St Mirren and will want a top 6 finish straight away.

I also have a suspicion that hibs/Rangers would be an improvement on Motherwell should they triumph and will have the same top 6 ambitions as us.

County seem to be getting it right under a manager with a decent track record and a benefactor who will put his hands in his pocket as well so could be in that mix once shorn of the dross in their huge squad and replaced with mcintyres players.

Of our top 6 rivals I'm not sure Jimmy Mac makes it into any of their starting line ups. If we want to kick in we also need better.

Jim has been one of our better performers this season and is well worthy of a new deal (and becoming a Hartley signing in the process). With what we have I would like/ can see us line up as

Bain

McGinn McPake Meggatt (or Konrad) Holt

Harkins McGowan Low Stewart

Tank Hemmings (or Loy)

McGowan and Low provide the engine room and McAlister can cover these. It may well be that he could keep Low out of the team. He is a much better option than Thomson or Ferry and I suspect as good as we can get given our budget.

Jim has been one of our better performers this season and is well worthy of a new deal (and becoming a Hartley signing in the process). With what we have I would like/ can see us line up as

Bain

McGinn McPake Meggatt (or Konrad) Holt

Harkins McGowan Low Stewart

Tank Hemmings (or Loy)

McGowan and Low provide the engine room and McAlister can cover these. It may well be that he could keep Low out of the team. He is a much better option than Thomson or Ferry and I suspect as good as we can get given our budget.

You completely lost me when you said he was better than Thomson. Simply not true.

You also appear to have illustrated my point that he is not good enough to start and would be a squad player at best.

I'm not saying he's pish. I'd be more than happy for him to be a squad player - this season whenever I saw Davo warming up I'd get the fear that he was going into our midfield - I wouldn't have this fear if I saw Jimmy Mac warming up.

My team would be

Bain

McGinn McPake Meggatt(Konrad) Holt

Thomson McGowan

Tank Harkins Stewart

Loy/ Hemmings

Could also switch to a 4-2-2-2 . take away the CAM and shove Hemmings/Loy upfront. Id say we are 1 winger and a backup GK away from a very good squad

We would have Low and/or McGinn/Ferry to come on in the middle if it needs changed plus GGH can also play further back. Loy and Hemmings fighting it out up top with Tank, Wighton backup. From all reports ive read on Meggatt and Holt then both seem capable at CB and LB so that leaves us covered there and Irvine is useful at RB.

Affy lot of boys dropping Konrad for Meggatt - Tam has had a very good debut season and will be our first choice alongside McPake unless we sign another proven centre half.

Common sense would point to Greg Stewart and the way that, coming from P/T to F/T, he was eased into games as he made the adjustment. I'd imagine we will see the same with Meggatt.

Meggatt is predominantly a LB that can play CH in a pinch. Some Alloa fans think he is better at CH but no manager has played him there consistently and he always reverts to LB.

Meggatt is predominantly a LB that can play CH in a pinch. Some Alloa fans think he is better at CH but no manager has played him there consistently and he always reverts to LB.

I could see Hartley trying out Holt on the left wing pre season.