All things Dundee FC

25 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

How many games has young mcpake played for us? Surely he’s going back along with mackie in January?

7, 3 starting. McPake is defo leaving in January, but Mackie is scheduled to be here until the end of the season unless plans change (or already have changed).

16 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

'*** wonderboy' what an absolute waste of time that was.

Yeah, agree and I see what you're saying Biggie, however they can't all be Kevin McDonald, Stewart McKimmie, Neil McCann, Iain Ferguson, Ray Stephen, Tosh McKinlay, Iain Anderson, Leigh Griffiths and in fact Ian Redford who left Dens for a record Scottish transfer fee, aged only 19!  Apologies to any young top team performers I've forgotten.

The bottom line is the young men above were ours, ie all Dundee players, albeit young, important 1st team members and players at 18/19 years of age or less.

We should not, imho be signing the likes of Sean Mackie (21) and young Josh McPake (18), whom I'm sure will have a semi-decent career, unless they're capable of performing accordingly and holding down a competent first team place in this lower league when the opportunity arises. They are not our players or indeed development responsibility!!

Desperation at the time to add to the shallow first team pool. Yet another learning curve, to add to the many others, for our current young, inexperienced manager.

Best regards 

16 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

Yeah, agree and I see what you're saying Biggie, however they can't all be Kevin McDonald, Stewart McKimmie, Neil McCann, Iain Ferguson, Ray Stephen, Tosh McKinlay, Iain Anderson, Leigh Griffiths and in fact Ian Redford who left Dens for a record Scottish transfer fee, aged only 19!  Apologies to any young top team performers I've forgotten.

The bottom line is the young men above were ours, ie all Dundee players, albeit young, important 1st team members and players at 18/19 years of age or less.

We should not, imho be signing the likes of Sean Mackie (21) and young Josh McPake (18), whom I'm sure will have a semi-decent career, unless they're capable of performing accordingly and holding down a competent first team place in this lower league when the opportunity arises. They are not our players or indeed development responsibility!!

Desperation at the time to add to the shallow first team pool. Yet another learning curve, to add to the many others, for our current young, inexperienced manager.

Best regards 

Great post CM, spot on, don't think we can take the credit for Griffiths though.

Thank you.

10 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Great post CM, spot on, don't think we can take the credit for Griffiths though.

Thank you.

Agreed, not for his initial development, however we signed him aged 19 for £125k when all others sat on their hands.

Not, at the time, since the £100k for Nacho Novo had our money in a transfer fee been so wisely spent.

Yet, we now have Gordon Strachan to call on for sage advice, have they used him, who knows, only smarties have the answer?

Best regards

Who was the last good loan player we had?

I think McPake has been a bigger disappointment than Mackie, for the hype, I expected a bit better, even allowing for his age, and lack of experience. Neither go down as a success. 

Last seasons loans were all pretty poor, McGowan was ok, Wright was hot and cold. The season before, Allan has talent, but never suited us as a team. 

4 minutes ago, srw said:

I think McPake has been a bigger disappointment than Mackie, for the hype, I expected a bit better, even allowing for his age, and lack of experience. Neither go down as a success. 

Last seasons loans were all pretty poor, McGowan was ok, Wright was hot and cold. The season before, Allan has talent, but never suited us as a team. 

Allan or Hendry, though I really liked Wright and would have him back. Hot and cold as you said, but I think he'd be just as fine if not better than McDaid. Hope he recovers from his injury.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

57 minutes ago, srw said:

From memory, very good ones include Jim McInally (Celtic) and Iain Ferguson (old Rangers) back in the 80's and latterly obviously Scott Allan, a wonderful talent, plus Simon Murray could still do a job, certainly at our current level. 

Probably get more of a chuckle recalling some of the garbage we've had, however some of them are still too fresh in the mind. I do still wonder if Jim McIntyre even reads the sports pages now, what would be the point.

To think over the past few seasons as well we've sent both Martin Boyle and Scott Bain to Hibernian on loan, jeezo!!!!!

Best regards  

From memory, very good ones include Jim McInally (Celtic) and Iain Ferguson (old Rangers) back in the 80's and latterly obviously Scott Allan, a wonderful talent, plus Simon Murray could still do a job, certainly at our current level. 
Probably get more of a chuckle recalling some of the garbage we've had, however some of them are still too fresh in the mind. I do still wonder if Jim McIntyre even reads the sports pages now, what would be the point.
To think over the past few seasons as well we've sent both Martin Boyle and Scott Bain to Hibernian on loan, jeezo!!!!!
Best regards  

McInally was indeed excellent in that loan spell. I also remember Derek Ferguson coming on loan and being impressive.

Martin Boyle looks a great player now and where is the young twit we ‘swapped’ for him? Managerial genius.

1 minute ago, Fifespud said:

McInally was indeed excellent in that loan spell. I also remember Derek Ferguson coming on loan and being impressive.

Martin Boyle looks a great player now and where is the young twit we ‘swapped’ for him? Managerial genius.

Was just typing the same about Ferguson as you posted! Him and McInally made a huge difference at the time. Think McInally scored a great goal at Dens running the length of the park and scoring, similar to Dariusz at Tynecastle. 

Former trialist Nils Rutten has retired at 24 apparently. Thought he looked the better player when him and Kamara were both on trial, shows what I know!

Edited by Ludo*1

18 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

So McDaid, McGhee, Forster and Ness all missed training yesterday with knocks. The latter 3 all expected to be in the squad by Saturday, McDaid is a bit of a worry it seems.

Say Forster and McGhee both don't return in time, would that mean Fisher has to come in with Meekings? Don't think we have any other CBs. Yikes.

Doubt very much if Fisher can come in. Boy took a bad one in reserve game v Dunfermline. Was in agony and had to be stretchered off. 

52 minutes ago, Den Spark said:

Doubt very much if Fisher can come in. Boy took a bad one in reserve game v Dunfermline. Was in agony and had to be stretchered off. 

Haha f**k. So it'd need to be an emergency loan in the worst case scenario. Fantastic.

CB cover is a must going into January.