All things Dundee FC

5 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Got to do what is right for his family. I've no issues with this 

Crocodile nonsense.

First time he screwed us out of a decent transfer by leaking his lower buyout clause desperate to play in England.

He failed and came back. Held out for better terms than everyone else during this crisis, which is his own business and I can respect that, however to agree those terms and jump ship asap is just bad form.

Edit - The club could have also gotten something for that transfer rather than being a free agent.

Edited by Crawford

3 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Crocodile nonsense.

First time he screwed us out of a decent transfer by leaking his lower buyout clause desperate to play in England.

He failed and came back. Held out for better terms than everyone else during this crisis, which is his own business and I can respect that, however to agree those terms and jump ship asap is just bad form.

First bit I think was mad on our behalf for giving such a low buyout clause. Lessons learnt.

He certainly got game time down south for the few teams he played for. Came back up North and was so so last season.

With all this going on decided he was probably getting more money down south and by sounds of it a team he use to play for when younger.

Sure someone else said he was paying for two houses which maybe another factor.

Not seeing the issue.

So with Josh Meekings , Tom Field ,Andrew Nelson  and Kane Hemmings  gone.. and three players brought in does that mean we have space for 1 more signing?

Do we see hopefully another centre half being brought in or another keeper ? 

A goalscorer would be awesome also however maybe the two new strikers time for scoring is with us 

Guest Wieghortsnut
1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

So with Josh Meekings , Tom Field ,Andrew Nelson  and Kane Hemmings  gone.. and three players brought in does that mean we have space for 1 more signing?

Do we see hopefully another centre half being brought in or another keeper ? 

A goalscorer would be awesome also however maybe the two new strikers time for scoring is with us 

I think there will be at least one more permanent signing and a couple of loans

3 hours ago, Crawford said:

Crocodile nonsense.

First time he screwed us out of a decent transfer by leaking his lower buyout clause desperate to play in England..

His agent would've been hawking that around England regardless. 

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

His agent would've been hawking that around England regardless. 

I suppose so. Timing though happened to coincide with us declining an allegedly higher bid though. 

As I said before, ultimately it is his choice, but agreeing to a deal after a drawn out negotiation only to leave immediately is really disappointing. At least the first time we got 150k. He's just messed us about twice in my opinion. 

Don't think he messed us about at all. First time he agreed to a contract with a clause specifically included by his agent as he was wanting back down South. He done brilliantly well and went for that said offer. We didn't decline any offers at higher terms because we weren't in a position to do so as no club would pay more than they need to which was the amount the clause dictated.

I'm not sure I buy the personal reasons this time round. He was offered reduced terms provisionally accepted and then received the opportunity to go back to where he grew up and likely have his wage doubled or even trebled from what it was before we offered reduced terms.

Every single person would do the same. Imagine his position - You've had a good season at say Oldham, they've ran into financial difficulty and asked you to take a 15-30% pay reduction - you've not really an option but to take it. Then a few days later, Dundee say they'll offer you 2-3x your previous wage - you'd be off in an absolute instant particularly with such a limited career and with a young kid.

I'm gutted and I do feel a bit of resentment because I loved having him at my club so much, but that's on me because he's just done what everybody else would do in that position.

16 minutes ago, Crawford said:

I suppose so. Timing though happened to coincide with us declining an allegedly higher bid though. 

As I said before, ultimately it is his choice, but agreeing to a deal after a drawn out negotiation only to leave immediately is really disappointing. At least the first time we got 150k. He's just messed us about twice in my opinion. 

I don't see how Dundee could refuse a bid that exceeded the release clause? 

Just now, Grant228 said:

Might be thinking of Caulker as we supposedly got a £2m bid for him before he left 3 month later for nothing.

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I was led to believe the initial bid was 325k and knocked back. After it was knocked back the clause came to light? I remember it being said that the gaffer at the time was "not privy" to that information and that a bid was rejected.

The subsequent bid was Oxford for 150k. 

4 minutes ago, Crawford said:

I was led to believe the initial bid was 325k and knocked back. After it was knocked back the clause came to light? I remember it being said that the gaffer at the time was "not privy" to that information and that a bid was rejected.

The subsequent bid was Oxford for 150k. 

You're right in that Hartley didn't initially know as he said as much to the media (Manager generally has nothing to do with contracts), but we legally can't reject an offer whether or not the club bidding know about the clause or not.  

Edited by Ludo*1

52 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

You're right in that Hartley didn't initially know as he said as much to the media (Manager generally has nothing to do with contracts), but we legally can't reject an offer whether or not the club bidding know about the clause or not.  

File that one under my misunderstanding.

Still could have let the club negotiate with Burton Albion for a few £ rather than leaving as a free agent.

Ah well. Roll on October.