All things Dundee FC

22 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I think it's more to do with us reaching a point of being sick of failures of managers and no positive appointments.

That explanation I can understand but, for me at least, that point was reached with the appointment of McIntyre and reinforced with the appointment of McPake.

21 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

McGhee is a known quantity with his proven (poor) record, add to that the 6 match ban add to that his assistant was has boss last time he was near a hot seat, Mcpake as I understand it was a young up and coming youth coach doing good things with the unders, was he the correct choice,no, but I’d say he was worth a punt, unfortunately for Us and him it didn’t work out and I’d hope we all wish him well in future wherever he goes(dabs being the obvious exception)

If Nelms was genuinely looking to go down the road of appointing a youth coach with no managerial experience as our next manager (just typing that sounds so ridiculous, let alone making it happen) there are dozens of youth coaches across the country but for some reason Nelms thought McPake was the best of the bunch?  No I’m sorry but if it was a youth coach from any other club that had no managerial experience who had been appointed there would have been major questions being asked.  Instead, because McPake was seen as “one of us” most of us just meekly accepted the appointment and hoped for the best.  Also, you may wish McPake well in the future, as do I, but I’m certain that will not be in a managerial capacity at any club of a decent size.  That is how clear it is to me that he does not have the required qualities to be a manager.

20 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Watch out mate, some people don't like support for McGhee.

I wasn’t exactly keen on McGhee being appointed but I am willing to support him and give him a chance to prove me wrong.

Edited by Shadow Play

He has had a chance, no wins in 6.

Folk might say that it's because he has not been on the touchline, but it was McGhee who said it wouldn't be a problem or have any effect.

So what is it?

A shite manager or a touchline ban that's gave him no wins in 6?

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Folk might say that it's because he has not been on the touchline, but it was McGhee who said it wouldn't be a problem or have any effect.

So what is it? 

I didn't want him either, (he's here now, so have to get on with it) but if he fails then surely he will be hooked, but you never know with this farce, probably get a 5 year deal.

11 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

So what is it?

If only we had punted McPake after 6 games.  I doubt we would be in this position now *

* ETA if someone other than Nelms and Strachan chose McPake’s replacement.

Edited by Shadow Play

3 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

This is no shock.

Who is out of contract?

Mullen has knocked back a contract so at least some good news. 

Fontaine, Mullen, McDaid, Elliott, Daley-Campbell, Ibsen Rossi and Danny Strachan all offski at the end of the season.

That just leaves the following:

Adam Legzdins, Cammy Kerr, Jordan Marshall, Ryan Sweeney, Jordan McGhee, Alex Jakubiak, Shaun Byrne, Paul McGowan, Jay Chapman, Lee Ashcroft, Josh Mulligan, Luke McCowan, Paul McMullan, Finlay Robertson, Zak Rudden, Ian Lawlor, Cillian Sheridan, Max Anderson, Lyall Cameron, Charlie Adam (not officially announced yet but he's triggered his extension via appearances), Luke Strachan, Sam Fisher, Harrison Sharp, Cammy Blacklock, Thomas Welsh, Ewan Murray, Jack Wilkie, Craig Donald, Callum Lamb, Niall McGinn and RIcki Lamie.

Youth players are in italics. Don't know how many if any have relegation clauses.

Iv got it in my head the only saving grace is that they are til the end of season and then once again we start afresh, unless it reverts to Charlie Adam as gaffer, assistant gaffer, captain,FK,Corner and pen taker that would really boil my piss

keeperwise  who’s out there that we could feasibly acquire?

14 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Legzdins is a more than capable keeper IMO. The other two are pretty off the required level but acceptable back-up for the Championship.

I've felt more comfortable with Legzdins between the sticks than at any point during Bains time with us.

4 minutes ago, Crawford said:

I've felt more comfortable with Legzdins between the sticks than at any point during Bains time with us.

Do you genuinely feel that or is your opinion of Bain clouded by his antics?

12 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Me too.

Bain was chronic bar a 6 month spell that clouds a lot of peoples opinion of him. Legzdins has kept more cleans sheets for us this season along than Bain did in his last 50 appearances for the club.

Out of 12 keeper in the top league he is comfortably 12th I’d say, add in 2nd choice keepers and he is much farther down the list, imo he’s had like 5 great games to his time with us.

having said that, I may well be judging him unfairly considering the 10 in front of him

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Adam Legzdins, Cammy Kerr, Jordan Marshall, Ryan Sweeney, Jordan McGhee, Alex Jakubiak, Shaun Byrne, Paul McGowan, Jay Chapman, Lee Ashcroft, Josh Mulligan, Luke McCowan, Paul McMullan, Finlay Robertson, Zak Rudden, Ian Lawlor, Cillian Sheridan, Max Anderson, Lyall Cameron, Charlie Adam (not officially announced yet but he's triggered his extension via appearances), Luke Strachan, Sam Fisher, Harrison Sharp, Cammy Blacklock, Thomas Welsh, Ewan Murray, Jack Wilkie, Craig Donald, Callum Lamb, Niall McGinn and RIcki Lamie.

How many of these names would you want the club to pay off done summer time?

6 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

Out of 12 keeper in the top league he is comfortably 12th I’d say, add in 2nd choice keepers and he is much farther down the list, imo he’s had like 5 great games to his time with us.

having said that, I may well be judging him unfairly considering the 10 in front of him

You certainly are, as is @Fifespud. He's no great keeper but he's good enough for this team at this level if he'd had a better backline to trust in.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

28 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

You certainly are, as is @Fifespud. He's no great keeper but he's good enough for this team at this level if he'd had a better backline to trust in.

Is there a keeper 1-12 worse than him In the top league? I’m not talking statistically based purely on gk ability?

4 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

Is there a keeper 1-12 worse than him In the top league? I’m not talking statistically based purely on gk ability?

How am I supposed to judge "pure goalkeeping ability" if I'm not looking at statistics though? He's got a confidence in the box that we've found hard to come by, and up until his last few games with injuries he's rarely made big mistakes. His distribution is a weakness I believe but that's pretty common in goalies at this level, i.e. Alnwick.

I would argue that the goalie standard this season is quite high, but Joe Lewis has been pretty awful this season, and worse than Legzdins. I'd say he's better than all the County keepers too and every back-up keeper in the league sans OF, so right now I'd argue around 10th for starters rn. Not amazing again because I don't think he is, but he's up against some stiff competition around the league and with a backline that wasn't utter mince defensively his stats would better reflect that.

Trust me, if we could get our hands on Gordon, Kelly, Macey, Clark, Alnwick, Siegrist, Stryjek etc I'd be all for doing so, but Legzdins isn't much inferior to your Alnwicks and Stryjeks imo, just with a worse team in front of him.