All things Dundee FC

I won't be reading that, hypothetical or not.

I got as far as the lad stating the clubs nearly merged back on the 90s and his statement, as fact, that the club were going to play in tangerine at tannadice.

That quote was trolling at its finest by Jim McLean and was in no way a reflection of the situation.

Interesting presentation on a hypothetical merger between ourselves and the DABS.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/27091495/Dundee-City-FC-A-Dundee-Dundee-United-Merger-Club

"Unexpectedly, fans were generally unsupportive of a merger taking place between the sides."

That comment alone was enough to show the writer doesn't understand what he's doing.

Although a significant minority of his sample supported a merger I suspect that these were people who claim an affinity with one of the clubs but don't often go to games. They may continue to "support" a merged club, but from their armchairs. The great majority of supporters of both clubs would have reacted with a brisk GRTF when asked to take part in a survey about a merger, which makes the results meaningless.

"Unexpectedly, fans were generally unsupportive of a merger taking place between the sides."

That comment alone was enough to show the writer doesn't understand what he's doing.

Although a significant minority of his sample supported a merger I suspect that these were people who claim an affinity with one of the clubs but don't often go to games. They may continue to "support" a merged club, but from their armchairs. The great majority of supporters of both clubs would have reacted with a brisk GRTF when asked to take part in a survey about a merger, which makes the results meaningless.

The boy is a graphic design student and has done really well to get himself a lot of publicity - he's got decent graphic skills too, but as I told him last night on twitter he doesn't tell the story of why anyone should care about Dundee City - He's just done some pretty graphics of strips, badge, merchandising etc. Nothing that tries to sell Dundee City to the public after the fictional merger.

Could have done that as a rebrand for an existing team - but it wouldn't have got him publicity and got his work seen by prospective employers, though he could have got even more by basing it on Glasgow FC the new merged superteam that the English Premiership might actually allow to play down South :angel

Edited by davidy233

The boy is a graphic design student and has done really well to get himself a lot of publicity - he's got decent graphic skills too, but as I told him last night on twitter he doesn't tell the story of why anyone should care about Dundee City - He's just done some pretty graphics of strips, badge, merchandising etc. Nothing that tries to sell Dundee City to the public after the fictional merger.

Could have done that as a rebrand for an existing team - but it wouldn't have got him publicity and got his work seen by prospective employers, though he could have got even more by basing it on Glasgow FC the new merged superteam that the English Premiership might actually allow to play down South :angel

Fair enough as a design job, but if it also wants to taken seriously as a marketing showcase it would have to show some understanding of why the idea would meet with so much resistance and what the loing term strategy might be for overcoming it (probably waiting for the diehards to well, die, then growing a different sort of fanbase a la MK Dons).

Fair enough as a design job, but if it also wants to taken seriously as a marketing showcase it would have to show some understanding of why the idea would meet with so much resistance and what the loing term strategy might be for overcoming it (probably waiting for the diehards to well, die, then growing a different sort of fanbase a la MK Dons).

Think that's what I said :blink: - he doesn't sell Dundee City to a skeptical public

Apologies, you may be right. I'd never heard it and thought you were talking about the 'sensational revelations' that come out a couple of months ago from the former SPL/SFA (?) chief.

My recollection was that McLean was asked about a merger and his emphatic response was along the lines of as long as the team was called Dundee Utd and played at tannadice wearing tangerine.

Can't find a source mind.

Seen this video of Konrad on Youtube, some of his back flick style clearances are great and it's something I hadn't noticed he done:

I like Konrad, he's a really good defender but gets caught out with crossed balls sometimes and maybe struggles with physical strikers. Think that video shows he would actually be a pretty good ball winning midfielder.