All things Dundee FC

I get the decision making to have a left footed CH in Graham in the side ahead of Astley but if that's the plan, why play Astley instead all throughout the league cup? Wee bit of a bizarre decision for me when Graham could have used the league cup games to build a partnership with McGhee & Portales.

15 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

Mulligan should be in a midfield three beside Sylla and McCowan, he's wasted out wide (as we saw in the championship 22-23 for large parts). He was good today when coming on when we shifted to 442. Tiffoney and Reilly should be the wingers and Murray up top if we switch to a back 4. Not sure about the new LB even if he's only been here for a week, another one would be good to get. 

Don't think Astley should've been dropped for Graham personally, and Mulligan didn't deserve to get dropped in place of Cameron who isn't a central midfielder in a 2. 

I think we will sign Jack which means the midfield will always change. Mulligan will play in midfield which I would like but he is versatile and must play. We must find a way for him to play and he will get plenty of game time in the middle.

17 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

Mulligan should be in a midfield three beside Sylla and McCowan, he's wasted out wide (as we saw in the championship 22-23 for large parts). He was good today when coming on when we shifted to 442. Tiffoney and Reilly should be the wingers and Murray up top if we switch to a back 4. Not sure about the new LB even if he's only been here for a week, another one would be good to get. 

Don't think Astley should've been dropped for Graham personally, and Mulligan didn't deserve to get dropped in place of Cameron who isn't a central midfielder in a 2. 

Who went RM today was it Mulligan?

1 minute ago, peebles_Dee said:

Who went RM today was it Mulligan?

Yeah mate, 

Mcghee, Portales, Graham, Riyad,

Mulligan, Sylla, mccowan, Tiff, 

Murray and Main. 

Thought this should've been the team for the second half tbh. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I suppose. 

I was really disappointed in Portales today and Larkech. Larkech didn’t know what the game meant and was rolling about. Docherty wasn’t impressed with him. Portales at fault and Ingram gets the blame from fans. Portales mistakes making Ingram look like he’s in the wrong. 

He’s been at fault for the goal at Bonnyrigg, 1/2 at Dens and one at Annan.

Thought Portales was our best CH today personally. Watching Sportscene now so may change my opinion when I see the highlights again though.

55 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Thought Portales was our best CH today personally. Watching Sportscene now so may change my opinion when I see the highlights again though.

Need to watch the highlights but I’ve never rated Portales as high as you Ludo. Seems like a headless chicken. I actually don’t rate any of our CH’s if I’m honest. 

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

I get the decision making to have a left footed CH in Graham in the side ahead of Astley but if that's the plan, why play Astley instead all throughout the league cup? Wee bit of a bizarre decision for me when Graham could have used the league cup games to build a partnership with McGhee & Portales.

I was talking about this during the game. My guess is they are putting Graham in the shop window for the likes of a Burnley to come and pick up similar to what happened with United and Harry Souttar. 

1 minute ago, Fifespud said:

Need to watch the highlights but I’ve never rated Portales as high as you Ludo. Seems like a headless chicken. I actually don’t rate any of our CH’s if I’m honest. 

Watched the highlights there and he wasn't great...

I still think he's our best CH personally, but yeah, I'll not be defending him further tonight. :lol:🤦‍♂️

Docherty had said in his interview after the game that he was disappointed that it took a change of system in the second half to change the game rather than the players finding solutions in the first half themselves. I have to say I totally agree with that. Too easy to blame the system and formation when the other team have your number but you need some sort of independence from your players to solve the problems themselves. 

I said a few months ago that I really thought we should be looking for an upgrade on Sylla and I'm sticking with that. That isn't just me unfairly picking on him today as I thought, on a whole, all the midfielders were terrible. He can be really clumsy in possession and a lot of the joy that united were getting in terms of counters today were from mistakes (not only) from him. 

Cameron was basically as good as not being on but fair play for his desire to get back and clear the ball off the line. 

I thought the defending in both goals was absolutely pathetic btw. Where is Ingram for both and what the f**k is Portales doing? No communication between them whatsoever. 

13 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

I said a few months ago that I really thought we should be looking for an upgrade on Sylla and I'm sticking with that. That isn't just me unfairly picking on him today as I thought, on a whole, all the midfielders were terrible. He can be really clumsy in possession

FWIW, he seems to be a great defensive midfielder but needs a huge amount of help actually getting the ball forward consistently.

sylla.thumb.png.bbd769ac815ba7a45d0a78e4bcc7a62a.png

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW, he seems to be a great defensive midfielder but needs a huge amount of help actually getting the ball forward consistently.

sylla.thumb.png.bbd769ac815ba7a45d0a78e4bcc7a62a.png

Derry Vieira but every so often has a game where you're like - why has he forgot how to play football?

He's an absolute class act 90% of the time. A destroyer.

I was desperate for us to find a way of us signing Boateng as I think if Docherty found a way they could play together and keep McCowan and Cameron in the team (tall order admittedly) we'd have a very tasty midfield.

He massively needs support though. Was well off it today, but generally, he's the only player that's even attempting to protect the defence. It's quite unreal how well he does it sometimes all on his own!

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Derry Vieira but every so often has a game where you're like - why has he forgot how to play football?

He's an absolute class act 90% of the time. A destroyer.

I was desperate for us to find a way of us signing Boateng as I think if Docherty found a way they could play together and keep McCowan and Cameron in the team (tall order admittedly) we'd have a very tasty midfield.

He massively needs support though. Was well off it today, but generally, he's the only player that's even attempting to protect the defence. It's quite unreal how well he does it sometimes all on his own!

Hes exactly the type teams need in this league, IMO, and one you end up eventually seeing all the flaws of and undervaluing before they're gone and you realise the hole they've left.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes exactly the type teams need in this league, IMO, and one you end up eventually seeing all the flaws of and undervaluing before they're gone and you realise the hole they've left.

Like a Dan Phillips, perhaps? ;)

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Like a Dan Phillips, perhaps? ;)

No, Phillips wasn't a good holding midfielder. Yer man can track runners and pick balls off, Phillips was caught wrong side/ball watching a lot.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No, Phillips wasn't a good holding midfielder. Yer man can track runners and pick balls off, Phillips was caught wrong side/ball watching a lot.

Out of interest, (sorry Dee's that hate this stuff) what was Phillips' and Boateng's graph like in comparison to Sylla?

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Out of interest, (sorry Dee's that hate this stuff) what was Phillips' and Boateng's graph like in comparison to Sylla?

Phillips in the "CM" group so different metrics to your two in the "DM" group.

Spoiler

boat.thumb.png.5eafc5126a5de537d23f7d80922b4370.png

phillips.thumb.png.e1319afb28e359ddf9e801d3aa5b0a83.png

5 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Docherty had said in his interview after the game that he was disappointed that it took a change of system in the second half to change the game rather than the players finding solutions in the first half themselves. I have to say I totally agree with that. Too easy to blame the system and formation when the other team have your number but you need some sort of independence from your players to solve the problems themselves. 

I said a few months ago that I really thought we should be looking for an upgrade on Sylla and I'm sticking with that. That isn't just me unfairly picking on him today as I thought, on a whole, all the midfielders were terrible. He can be really clumsy in possession and a lot of the joy that united were getting in terms of counters today were from mistakes (not only) from him. 

Cameron was basically as good as not being on but fair play for his desire to get back and clear the ball off the line. 

I thought the defending in both goals was absolutely pathetic btw. Where is Ingram for both and what the f**k is Portales doing? No communication between them whatsoever. 

I agree re Cameron, the majority of posters on here (not me) were saying Mulligan should start ahead of him, and they have been proven right. First half McCowan and Sylla were both guilty of giving the ball away with under hit passes etc, second half I thought they were both immense. 

2 hours ago, peebles_Dee said:

I think we will sign Jack which means the midfield will always change. Mulligan will play in midfield which I would like but he is versatile and must play. We must find a way for him to play and he will get plenty of game time in the middle.

Said it numerous times before but I'd love us to sign Jack, think he's a good player and we need another like Sylla if he gets injured/suspended or has a poor game like today. 

Injury issues aside I just can't see it happening though, is his pre-existing relationship with Doc enough of a pull when he could get a club down south/abroad for more money?