All things Dundee FC

Just now, hk blues said:

They probably performed better than expected and us a little worse so the point isn't to be sniffed at but the fact that it possibly should have been all 3 if Main had been a bit more composed at the end is where the disappointment lies for me.  The balance to that is, of course, they should've been 3-1 up long before.

Yep, the balance is correct. They could have been well ahead and we were riding our luck. 

I came away from the game happy we managed to salvage a point rather than being raging that we didn't get all three.

14 minutes ago, peebles_Dee said:

Than Larkeche 

I thing the biggest problem Dodgson had was that he isn’t Owen Beck. He really came onto a game 2nd half of the season and his crossing was decent too. I’d have gladly have him back. Don’t really understand the criticism of young Graham, given his age and experience I thought he was ok. McGhee had 2 (1 in particular) horrendous pass backs that could have resulted in goal. Neither wing back impressed but they have got to be given a bit of slack, but Ingram was defo in part to blame at both goals. He could clearly see Thomson was totally unmarked, but there should have been a midfield runner with him too. Overall Portales comes out as most culpable though. A headless chicken display. I don’t get the ‘ball playing CH’ bit either. When United were letting us fanny about with the ball at the back it was McGhee or Graham who were the most willing to beat the press. As was predicted Cameron was largely anonymous. I agree with the earlier comment the Palmer-Houlden did well. He looks like he’ll do a very good job. Thought Murray did what Murray does, pretty pleased with him too. 
We need to get those wing backs up to speed pronto and whilst Robertson and Big Joe are out revert to a back 4 (without Portales). Don’t really agree with signing Donnelly - we’ve 2 young CB’s already and whilst he might be a prospect I think there are more obvious deficiencies. TL - don’t blame anyone who CBA reading. Just needed to let it out. 

I liked Dodgson for his attacking attributes but with a poor defence behind him he cost us a few goals. 

Graham I thought was good. He looked nervous before the game but settled down. I’d like to see him again. 

Portales and McGhee had to communicate but Portales could see infront of him that it wasn’t balanced marking. 

Id play the 4 at the back with Graham and McGhee centre backs. Donnelly I hope signs soon and Jack on another DM to see the full benefits for f a 4 at the back. Docherty will realise a change of system works in certain games.

2 hours ago, stu2910 said:

but considering it wasn't that long ago that our back line was something like Kerr/Meekings/Kusunga/O'Dea/Ralph

If my timing is right it's bizarre to think that McCann had that lot trying to play out from the back.

Jose-Mourinho-598885.jpg.e320b47a002fa8021ce3393b1210a5c6.jpg

Early days but the new wing backs are clearly not comfortable taking players on consistently. If we don't have this the wing back system leaves us short in the midfield without giving us any of what the wing-back system is meant to. No surprise then that we looked much better with a back 4. Also, still not convinced that any of our CB's, apart from Shaughnessy, are comfortable with a back 5. I'm in the back 4 with Sylla Mulligan combo camp, prevent the opposition having too much freedom in font of our defensive lines and we cut out most of the issues that are plaguing us

1 minute ago, mungo said:

1 game and a horrible 1st half display from the whole tram .  Too early to judge any of the new players. 

Quite.

Making his debut in a difficult fixture after less than a week with the team, and Larkeche being slaughtered already.

Owen Beck was constantly out of position in his first couple of games in Dark Blue.

Give the players a chance to get to know each other a bit at least.

19 hours ago, peebles_Dee said:

Portales awful defensively again and Larkeche doesn’t offer much. 

Once Reilly is fit and stronger he will be our LWB. 

I hope Graham can play in the middle of a back 3 as we will have lots of Centre backs if we get another.

A 4-3-3 team for me would be- McCracken, Donnelly, Robertson, McGhee, Ingram, Sylla, DM, McCowan, Tiffoney, Murray, Mulligan.

Think that's a bit harsh on Larkeche tbh. Yeah he didn't have the best game, thought he improved second half but let's at least give the guy a chance before we write him off. Can't be easy joining a new team and a few days later being thrown into that. Probably didn't help him that the team were a total shambles in first half. Let's give him a bit of time to settle in before we judge him. 

40 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

Why do people think Charlie Reilly - a striker plucked from league 2 Albion Rovers - is suddenly the answer at LWB?

I’m just not seeing this at all.

Killie play with Armstrong and Kennedy at wingbacks. Works for them.

6 minutes ago, peebles_Dee said:

Killie play with Armstrong and Kennedy at wingbacks. Works for them.

Armstrong and Kennedy are brilliant players.

Charlie Reilly is not near their level. 

10 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

Armstrong and Kennedy are brilliant players.

Charlie Reilly is not near their level. 

Wasn’t talking about who’s better. Wingers can play wing back if there is a solid defence and midfield. I’ve seen Reilly since he was at Hamilton, Albion and in his chances he has had and he is quality. He has been massively unlucky with injuries but if he hadn’t had them I’d back him to be a vital player starting most games. He will become a great signing and make us a lot of money like McCracken will.

2 minutes ago, peebles_Dee said:

Wasn’t talking about who’s better. Wingers can play wing back if there is a solid defence and midfield. I’ve seen Reilly since he was at Hamilton, Albion and in his chances he has had and he is quality. He has been massively unlucky with injuries but if he hadn’t had them I’d back him to be a vital player starting most games. He will become a great signing and make us a lot of money like McCracken will.

I hope I’m wrong but I can’t see this - admire your optimism though! 

25 minutes ago, peebles_Dee said:

We really need to sign 4/5 quality players and get McCowan on another contract.

I can tell you 2 things right now,

He won't be signing a new contract on any terms and he won't be a dundee player by the end of the transfer window, The club are already planning for his departure, as for the rumours of celtic , there has been no bid from them but they have been asked to be kept informed on any movement or developments i believe as they like the player. Again this is just a rumour ive heard , but from someone connected with the club that knows a bit of the goings on abd that would have no reason to lie. 

If luke moves on then the club have a huge task on there hands to not only strengthen the squad with more quality but to replace his quality in our midfield at this time might be impossible,  he is so important to how we play. 

Edited by derrydode25

20 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

We’ve had a bid rejected for McCowan. 

Would you like Kenneh and Jair in exchange? 

Nothing you could offer would be enough, I fully believe this.

9 minutes ago, derrydode25 said:

I can tell you 2 things right now,

He won't be signing a new contract on any terms and he won't be a dundee player by the end of the transfer window, The club are already planning for his departure, as for the rumours of celtic , there has been no bid from them but they have been asked to be kept informed on any movement or developments i believe as they like the player. Again this is just a rumour ive heard , but from someone connected with the club that knows a bit of the goings on abd that would have no reason to lie. 

If luke moves on then the club have a huge task on there hands to not only strengthen the squad with more quality but to replace his quality in our midfield at this time might be impossible,  he is so important to how we play. 

I think he will stay for the season if we push for European football with some quality signings.