Inverness Caley Thistle v St Johnstone - 20/09/14

A frustration yesterday was that for much of the game, the two teams were playing very similar systems but Inverness were so much better than us. Draper and Tansey got so much more time on the ball than Millar and Lappin but the two wide players on each team were maybe the big difference? Watkins had pace and strength, a total contrast to Croft. Doran was elegant and composed with great movement, allowing Shinnie to bomb on behind him. Wotherspoon was, I honestly hate to say this, gutless and weak and there certainly never appeared the same openings for Easton to get forward.

One of those days where all over the pitch, Inverness had the better performer in every position. That's why if there was a foul on Mackay before the second goal, as RiG says, it doesn't actually bother me all too much. We got what we deserved.

Going back to Lappin, he maybe is due some grace coming into the side and probably wasn't the worst but I don't believe if he produced that level of performance until May then anyone could describe his contribution this season as being alright.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Aberdeen fans are kidding themselves if they think Shinnie will be at Pittodrie any time soon. Surely he'll be off to England either in January or next summer, especially after clubs will have seen how well Andrew Robertson has done coming from this league? Easton is maybe a better defender than Shinnie (or even both) but doesn't nearly possess the same ability going forward, which big clubs clearly want in a full back.

Going back to Lappin, he maybe is due some grace coming into the side and probably wasn't the worst but I don't believe if he produced that level of performance until May then anyone could describe his contribution this season as being alright.

No, if he performs like that every week he'll rightly be dropped and criticised. I just feel that making his first start, against one of the best midfield units in the league, he maybe deserves some leeway. Added to the fact he was willing to try and play the ball and switch the play (something we dont have when Browns out), and was willing to get stuck in when he could, I'm willing to let this one pass. His deliveries are also consistently decent, unlike Wotherspoon and Crofts who seems to wildly swing from brilliant to awful.

Biggest problem is the lack of pace in him, and this lack of ability to stop a player just drifting past him, but then again it seems to be a common problem in our side just now. Hate to sound like dryhorce but it is true we lack pace and strength going forward, theres just so little movement going forward

Interesting to see TW saying he thought there was a clear penalty on Brian Graham turned down near the end of this game, never watched Sportscene so don't know if it was highlighted, but the incidents at about 4:46, when Graham gets knocked to the ground by Draper when going for a header.

Archived