Best 3 Signings From Each Manager Since The Millennium

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was Dadi not an Ebbe signing? I found an old Christmas list I'd written age 8 asking for a dons top with Di Rocco on it, never got it! now that would be a real collectors item!

I did consider him for a second but I don't recall ever been that impressed by him. Seemed to gather something of a cult hero status despite or maybe because he was shite. Maybe I'm being harsh on him but my main memory of him is running into people and having legs that appeared to be made of rubber as he seemed to struggle to stay upright on them.

Behind who?

It's just my opinion based on who I see more often than others, Aberdeen fans will understandably pick Reynolds because they see through his ups and downs and his best performances. I would agree he is the best Scottish CB if that's what people thought I meant.

Very similar list to my fellow Jags fans who have already posted.

John Lambie:

• Alex Burns

Started the season by scoring against us for St Mirren and ended it very much as our talisman. Think Lambie mentioned him as one of his best ever signings in a radio interview on Sportsound a year or two ago and rightly so. Had an effortless quality about him and scored some tremendous goals.

• Martin Hardie

​Was pretty raw when Lambie plucked him from relative obscurity but had the ability to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and dictate what happened; a quality that his clubs since have perhaps seen on a more consistent basis. Will always remember his late double at Inverness. My favourite Thistle player of all time and a cracking bloke into the bargain.

• Scott Paterson

A guy who had absolutely no business playing at the level we were but who had suffered terrible injuries. Doubt that we would ever have signed him had we retained Mark McNally who was equally as impressive albeit at a lower level. A joy to watch and would waltz around players like they weren't there.

Gerry Collins:

• James Grady

A guy who I'd longed for us to sign for a number of years. A pest to play against and his performances deserved better than relegation. Was very disappointed that we never held onto him.

• Grant Murray

A guy who gets a lot of undeserved stick from a number of Thistle fans. I thought he was relatively solid during his first season with us and had it not been for Mark Roberts, could arguably have been our Player of the Year in his third. He could have very easily bailed after the disastrous 04/05 season but he had enough pride about himself to stick about, help us to promotion and earn himself a move to Kilmarnock.

Derek Whyte/Gerry Britton:

• Juan Ramon Escalas

A good find and for a couple of months, he looked like he was destined for bigger and better things. Very skilful, decent in the air and a good finisher, I remember thinking a Ramon-Hinds partnership would provide us with a few goals. Alas, it wasn't to be. His mother died around Christmas time and he never rediscovered his form, no thanks to Campbell playing him on the left-wing to accommodate Stephen McConalogue in a must-win game at Hamilton. Did score an absolutely stonking header against Airdrie at Firhill.

• Billy Gibson

Says it all about the calibre of player that we had at our disposal during this time but makes it in mainly due to his goal (and quite probably the most important Thistle goal in recent times) at Peterhead. To give him his due, he was quite impressive during his initial loan spell but I don't think many would argue that he was pretty bog ordinary.

• Andy Wilkinson

Not much to say about Wilkinson, he was neither good nor bad but was at least better than some of the dross that Whyte/Britton signed. Was just as aggressive then as he is now. Never in my life would I have thought he'd be playing in the Premiership but there we are.

Dick Campbell:

• Mark Roberts

Dread to think where we would be if it wasn't for the Hoor. Brilliantly intelligent, great feet, terrific technique - if it wasn't for his goals, I don't think I'd have a club to support and for that, he'll always be one of my favourites. Also loved getting it up Airdrie which is no bad thing and was a great character.

• Jonny Tuffey

Endured a rocky start to his career at Firhill as he was displacing Kenny Arthur and he wasn't the most placid of fellows, our Jonny; I recall him getting involved with the fans on a few occasions after another inept team performance orchestrated by Campbell. However he began to demonstrate that he a superior player to Arthur; great reflexes, agile and a super kicker of the ball (expect against Clyde).

• Graeme Dorrans

Spurred us through some ropey games with performances, was like a breath of fresh air compared to his colleagues. Dynamic, skilful, direct - his talent was evident and the highlight of his time at Firhill was a wonderful overhead kick against Peterhead.

Ian McCall:

• Kris Doolan

It's difficult to believe that we got such a well-rounded, technically excellent player from the Juniors. Hard worker, natural goalscorer, good in the air, runs the channels and links play as well as anyone; a model professional.

• Chris Erskine

A maverick. Was a polarising figure for the majority of his Thistle career but on his day, he's a joy to watch. As I've said before, he's equally as capable of skinning a whole team and chipping the keeper as he is falling over his own feet but that's the magic about him. Delighted to see him getting his chance at United.

• Marc Twaddle/Gary Harkins

Difficult to separate these two. Twaddle was such a vital part of McCall's team and Harkins developed into the most audaciously skilful player I've seen in a Thistle jersey. Managed to move both on for decent fees too which makes it even more difficult to differentiate. Both should have achieved far more in their careers though, particularly Harkins who seems content to become a synonymous Dundee figure.

Jackie McNamara:

• Aaron Taylor-Sinclair

Remember being quite surprised that we'd seemingly pinched him from under the noses of St Johnstone. A great athlete and developed into one of the best attacking full-backs in Scotland last year.

• Stevie Lawless

I don't think many of us expected much from Lawless when he signed, or at least never anticipated the effect he was going to have. Unplayable at times during his first season but struggled at times last year. Now rediscovering the form that we all know he's capable of.

• Steven Craig

Exactly the sort of player that we'd been crying out for for years. A great piece of business and played a vital part in our promotion.

Alan Archibald:

• Jordan McMillan

An inspired signing, along with Andy Dowie, at a time where it looked like our squad might not be able to handle to pressure of so many games in such a short period of time. Injury prevented him from contributing as much as Dowie but he held the defence together to earn a point at Raith after being reduced to ten men and since our promotion, for my money, has become our most important player.

• Kallum Higginbotham

A tremendously talented yet equally frustrating player, he hauled us through some games last season with some of the best individual performances I've witnessed. When he's in the mood, he's almost unplayable and I don't imagine we'll get to enjoy him for much longer.

• Lyle Taylor

After enduring many a loan signing who looked like they'd rather be anywhere else than Firhill, Taylor was a welcome exception. We all knew of his capabilities after his exploits with Falkirk and he helped lighten the load on Dools. Would have liked to have seen him back this season and haven't given up hope that we still might come January.

Spot on Sergie, agree with all of that.

I thought it was Gus that signed Vanzy, though.

I wasn't too sure. If i remember correctly Hendrie was sacked halfway through 2002 and Coughlin was sacked midway through 2003? Was 95% sure DVZ signed in 2003, wiki said so too. Soccerbase has July 2003. Could all be wrong though ha.

Higdon arguably deserves in there too. His finishing kept us up in Lennon's first year, but can't see who I'd drop.

Rest of the list is almost spot on. I'm almost tempted to take McGowan out for Goodwin, for a laugh and to attract some seethe

Yeah we have had some really good number 9's over the years. Higdon kept us up single handedly.

There is always seethe when it comes to Jim :thumsup2 .

I did consider him for a second but I don't recall ever been that impressed by him. Seemed to gather something of a cult hero status despite or maybe because he was shite. Maybe I'm being harsh on him but my main memory of him is running into people and having legs that appeared to be made of rubber as he seemed to struggle to stay upright on them.

As I say I was about 8 so I was pretty easily pleased! All I knew was he could skin Bobo Balde and pretend to be a caterpillar!

With reference to previous posts about Mowbray, he bought Ki Sung Yeung. Possibly a better signing long-term than Keane was. If I had to pick 3, the third would either be Landry N'Guemo or Marc Antoine Fortune.

I completely forgot that it was Mowbray who signed Ki, I remember him signing in the January transfer window, but I was thinking it was Strachan.

It's just my opinion based on who I see more often than others, Aberdeen fans will understandably pick Reynolds because they see through his ups and downs and his best performances. I would agree he is the best Scottish CB if that's what people thought I meant.

I know it's your opinion, I'm not contesting that, but I'm asking who you think is ahead of him.

Archived